Topic: Jeff Gerrish

http://jeffgerrish.blogspot.com

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

Re: Jeff Gerrish

My dear Jeff...and your loving wife..

My heart goes out to you both.  I say, "Keep a positive attitute and continue to 'live'."  My dad did not sit around worrying and waiting.
No doubt, emotions are going out of control- to say the least.
But you will be able to cope with the love of your family with you and your cc family~

Charlene Eloi
Daughter of David Cook

Jeff - I have followed your journey up until the last month or so because I was having computer problems.  I was absolutely so saddened by your latest news when I logged in last week.  I think it was Tony Snow that said the person that is sick takes on the faith of two people; the caretaker takes on the worries and fears of two people.  I know that it is breaking your heart to see your family so devastated and sad.   Sam said that was the most difficult part of dying - to leave the ones that you love so much.  I know that we will all be together again and all the ones on this site that have gone on ahead of us are truly happy and see God's plan; unfortunately the ones left behind do not understand and continue to hurt. 
My prayers are with both of you.  You have been such a blessing to everyone on this site - you took it to the limit and will continue to do so.
Betty Johnson

Hi Jeff and to your family also: Not a day goes by that T & I don't mention your name. You are a courageous, caring and loving man. Try not to look at Valerie as sad but see the tears as love just flowing out of her to you.  Not many people ever know that kind of love. Its true you reap what you sow. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

5 (edited by glightfoot Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:21:16)

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for starting a blog for us so that we can keep up on what's going on with you. We care very much. Sending some hugs your way,

G

Dear Jeff,

You and your family are in my thoughts & prayers. You have always been here to help & support all of us, now we will all be here to help & support you & your family. I know that you will take it to the limit one more time!

Hugs & Love,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hey Jeff,
   I tried to comment on your blog but can't seem to figure it out. Anyway you need to quit being such a party animal! Ha! Heck, we're in bed or asleep on the couch by 8:30 every night so you're doing great. I hope you're getting some relief from the pain. Take care and take it easy. Mary

Jeff,
   You have always been here - for Butch and I, and everyone else on this site also. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. I hope your hospice experience is as good as ours was - they were wonderful to Butch, and such a comfort to me. They continue to support me now - I am attending a support group sponsored by hospice, and it is very comforting. 

Joyce C.

I pray for you and your family.  Hope the methodone/morphine will work soon.  You're a wonderful example of unconditional love.

Hello Mr. G.  I read your blog and hope your pain is managed.  My Mom was taking Vicodin.  She was afraid of pain but said she never had any.  However, maybe too much Vicodin.  She lost her hearing (which is a side effect).  But, then too, she was 85 yrs old.  Slipped into a coma and passed over a couple of days later.  Very peaceful for her.  I still bawled.

Marjo

Thank You all for the words of support and comfort and prayers.  It really means a lot.  My pain is well controlled with this synthetic methadone and break through meds.  Betty.. My wife and I talked a little about what Tony Snow stated and agree whole heartedly.  You know, as each day goes by the worries remain but less conversation is needed.  It's more like cuddle and tell each other who loves the other more and just spend quiet time together watching TV.  The occassional emotional Hallmark movie sets off some held back emotions; then we are good for awhile. 
God Bless you All!

Jeff and Valerie

Jeff and Valerie - I wrote a long response after reading your blog but then erased it.  You bring tears to my eyes again as I know so much what you are going through and facing.  I have a friend next door who is an engineer that worked for Sam.  When something goes wrong, instead of saying "Jesus" which might sound disrespectful to our heavenly Father, he says JESUM.  I have learned to like that word!!  So JESUM - why does all of this happen and why, why, why??  Hey!!! Give your wife a hug - it's Valentine's Day!!!!   We'll know all the answers one day.  Love you guys and hang in there.
Love Betty

Jeff,
WE are all praying for you and thinking of you. You've been such an inspiration for so long. We just hope you have peace and comfort and wish the same for your family also. They will be fine. I know I have a son with mental problems too and it's hard but they have to find their own way. You just take care of yourself and do exactly what you've been doing -enjoying spending time with your wife and grandkids and kids. That's what's most important now. Life is always one day at a time. You simply have a greater appreciation of how precious each day is! God bless. Mary

Jeff, I saw your blog and am really appreciative of your sharing.  You have given a lot of people much comfort with all that you've posted and shared.  Hope you get all the comfort and more back when you read how much people are affected by you and love you.  A brief remark to your last blog entry.

When my mother was diagnosed, I was, shortly thereafter, given an opportunity to "retire" early.  It was an opportune time in that I could be there for her.  Maybe this is what Valerie could use now.  Time to be with you.

My sister and I had the garden style tub removed and a large shower built.  Made it easier for the next 3 years for Mom to bathe..  Now, my elderly father (87) is using the shower and loves it.  Yes, you can rest in the shower chair while your caregivers give you a good scrub.  We also had a heater blowing warm air in the bathroom.  We eventually transferred her from bed to porta-potti and then carried her on the porta potti (cleaned and empty, of course), into the large shower when she couldn't walk well.  She especially liked her rollabout walker which we got from Costco.  Hope the above helps.  God bless you.

Jeff, whenever you come to mind I pray for you and Valerie.  I will pray for the rest of your family as well.

16 (edited by magic Wed, 15 Apr 2009 04:24:46)

Hi Jeff and Valerie good luck   Janet

Hi Jeff - I think about you often.  My sister (snoopy) and I always bring you up in our conversations.  You're such an inspiration.  I wish I was as strong as you are.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and Valerie.

- Suzanne

Hello everyone,

This is Rachael (Jeff's Daughter) and Valerie. My dad has gotten really weak this last month. He is only on a liquid diet and is very grumpy, so we know that things have progressed as expected. We have prayed for soooo long for a miracle. Please keep praying for my dad and hopefully the best miracle will happen for him to take away his pain! I think every day that there are no more tears left inside of me but I prove myself wrong everyday. I have read so many comments from everyone that my dad has inspired and I am so happy to see how he makes everyone laugh like he does with our family. My dad is my best friend and I will promise to keep his spirit alive through this website. This website has been a joy to my dad for the last few years especially when he was stuck at home while we work everyday. So, I will close for now and hope everyone has a good weekend.
Love,
Rachael and Valerie

Rachael, Valerie and Jeff,

I've been checking in from time to time to see how everyone is doing...keeping all in my heart and in my prayers.  I've been missing my dad so very much and seem lost without him.  My mother's Parkinson's disease/demensia is progressing more rapidly than I expected.  And I feel completely at odds, and helpless.  My dad's only been gone 9 months from this CC. 

Jeff, I peeked in on your blog.  Your pictures are so wonderful to see.  What a great family you have.  I was especially interested in your wedding photo, specifially your Air Force blues.  It reminded me of my dad...he was AirForce, too.  (incidently, his last name is Berish...close enough - LOL)

Seriously, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Valerie.  And, Rachael: from one daddysgirl to another, my heart is aching for you.  My dad was my hero and someone I could always count on.  The tears still come daily. 

Peace be with you all,
Jolene

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."     ~g. b. hinckley

Rachael, Valerie and Jeff,

I am so sorry to hear that your Dad has gotten weaker over the last month. Your Dad has indeed been of huge inspiration to everyone here and also me and my family, my Dad is also fighting this awful illness. Many a time I have spoken to my Dad about how strong and courageous your Dad is in battling this illness, and I know that my Dad has taken great hope from this.

Your Dad has given help and support to so many people and I know that you will be immensely proud of him.

I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hello Rachel

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Rachel and Valerie:  I am sorry that your Dad has gotten weaker.  He's an outstanding person.  Helped a lot of people laugh, think and love.  All this via a website.  I can only imagine what he is capable of in person.  Please let him know again that a lot of people of this site are sending their best wishes and thoughts to him and you both.  I want to join Marion in holding the blanket of love around y'all too.

Marjo

Dearest Rachael & Valerie, As you can see your Jeff has become our Jeff as well. But, you are the lucky ones to have him in your lives. I know you will hear this over and over but Jeff has helped so many of us, whether to give good advise or to just cheer us up. Life is not the same on this Board without him giving a daily hello. So much love is being poured out to Jeff and your family and please give him love from me & Teddy. Thank you for the update and you just know that we are all sending massive prayers your way. Your father once called me "feisty". Well, I sure wish I could get some feisty now to ease this sorrow I feel for all of you. We love you Jeff G. you are our hero!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

24 (edited by Sophie Sun, 03 May 2009 15:51:58)

Dear Jeff, Rachel & Valerie,

If an inspirational book should be written about anyone, it should be about Jeff Gerrish.  His heart is as big as the whole outdoors.  The encouragement, inspiration, advice,  information, and compassion I've received from him from the time I was diagnosed is overwhelming and has helped and comforted me, and he always would call me "girl."  Sophie girl or something like that.  I'd always laugh.  I feel like God put Jeff on this earth as one of those special people to guide and help us.   Please hold his hand for me and tell him it's from Sophie.  My prayers for Jeff and your family.

Love
Sophie

Dittoes to what everyone else said!  Jeff has been my inspiration since I was first diagnosed in September 2007. 

God bless the Gerrish family.

Love,
Lisa