Re: Update on my Dad
Just thought I would do a quick update on the last few days. On Monday Dad wasn't feeling too great, but nowhere near as bad as last week. Was really tired and had a bout of shaking so spend most of the day in bed. I wanted to get the gp out but dad didn't think that was necessary. On Tuesday we went to the Macmillan day care centre and Dad liked it. It was just to see what was on offer there and he is now going to go once a week for a few hours on a Tuesday. It will do him good to get out and meet others. They do all sort of alternative relaxtion therapies, group activitives and their are doctors and specialist nurses there to talk with. He seems keen on the idea so we will see how that goes.
Yesterday he saw his Macmillan nurse at home and we talked about various things. I brought up the possible stent blockage etc and what everyone here is telling me and she agrees that by the time dad gets his hospital appt that it will be too long to have to wait. She is going to get in touch with the specialist to see if the appt can be brought forward so keeping fingers crossed for that. I also mentioned about getting a second opinion if no treatment was offered to dad by his specialist, and this did not go down well with my mum, she really is not keen at all on this. Dad is also wary of pushing for this and they are of the opinion that the specialist is the expert and knows what is best for my dad. Dad went to bed after the nurse left and I tried to talk again about second opinion, but mum refused to discuss it. I knew persuing this further would just lead to another arguement so I dropped the subject for now. If they decide not to ask for another opinion then I guess I will just have to respect their wishes.
The nurse also brought up the topic of future care again and had dad thought anymore about this. Talked about whether he wanted to be cared for at home or a hospice if he needed it. Dad got a bit emotional and teary eyed again, but I guess it is something that needs to be talked about. Dad wants to stay at home as long as possible, but is worried about how this will affect mum considering her health problems. I know that if this situation arises then we will get plenty of help from Macmillan and Marie Curie nurses, but the affect it will have on mum really worries him.
Thinking about what has happened over the last few weeks, I still get the feeling that we are sort of being prepared for bad news when we see the specialist. Am trying not to think too negatively about this or get too down about it as that won't help any of us right now.
Anyway, thanks for listening.
Best wishes to you all.