Topic: It Finally Came

Well, Saturday morning we got the call for a possible liver transplant.  Upon getting to the hospital things looked good.  Later that afternoon we were told that they were on their way to harvest the organ and about an hour and a half later we were told it was viable.  Early that evening my dad was taken to the OR and 12 hours later he was in the ICU with a NEW LIVER!!!!  We are so grateful that all went well with the surgery and the doctors are as confident as they can be that they got all the cancer!  We still have to wait for the pathology reports but things look very good!  I still can't believe it.  He has been on a feeding tube for about 6 weeks because he can't/ won't eat.  When they asked how he felt shortly after waking up he said he felt like he wanted a drink from the drinking fountain in his backyard.  Then a little while later he said he thought pancakes were sounding pretty good.  We couldn't believe he was even thinking about food.  Unfortunately the food will have to wait as he is on an IV feed for a few days and then starts the liquids.  It will probably be a week before he can eat but we hope his appetite returns with full force.  He lost a total of 51 lbs over 5 1/2 months, going from 186 to 135.  He looked so good after the surgery and we expect a full recovery!   I am still in shock that it happened but know that it was out of our hands.  Our religion is very strong and we know that God helped this happen.  We may not know why he chose us be we are forever grateful!  I can't believe I get my dad back and for more time!  Thanks for your support.  I don't post much but I read often!  For those still fighting this horrible cancer...don't ever give up.  The radiation and brachytherapy really helped as did the chemo!  Keep fighting for research, a cure, and more than anything for your families!  Love you all!

Re: It Finally Came

Thank you for this wonderful news.  Some days are so much brighter then others...you just lit us up.  I am wishing for a speedy recovery and many pancakes for you Dad.  If you can please, continue to post your experiences as it is so very beneficial for all.  Congratulations to your Dad.  Much love coming your way.
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY!  Honestly I got tears of joy reading your post.  We really believe that God works through the hands of our surgeons! Father's Day will be VERY special this year!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

I got up today, and for the first time in months and months my first thought wasn't a sad thought.   I got lots of work done,  I had lunch with a friend, I went running, I watched my son play ball and get a double and strike out the side for two innings,  my mom has plans with two friends for dinner(thats the best part of the day) and then I read your post, and now my day is even brighter.  Where there is life there is hope, and today I feel lots of hope.  Wonderful news!  Appreciate every moment with your dear dad, you just got an amazing gift.

The  Lord is my shephard

Awesome news!  Thank you for sharing that with us. I hope your dad makes a full, cancer free recovery.

How wonderful for your father and your family!  It's such a wonderful blessing not only for you but for all of us to hear not just great news but extra ordinary fantastic news in reference to cc for a change!  I will keep your father in my prayers as he recooperates from his procedure.  WOOHOO!

Karen

Wonderful news! We're all so very happy for you -- keep the good news coming!
Joyce M

I am very happy for your family. What wonderful news. I pray he makes a great recovery.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Fantastic to hear!  I will also send up prayers for a quick recovery!

That's great news! I'm sure your dad will enjoy these pancakes when he is able to eat again. It's great to hear a good news story and I hope he has a speedy recovery!

Best wishes to you and your family.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

11 (edited by raye Tue, 12 May 2009 07:17:12)

Glad to hear your father is doing well. I'm a transplant veteran and wish him all the best. I understand the pancake thing too... all I wanted were pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs and toast, and not in any particular order!!

Here's to a good recovery. E-mail me anytime with recovery questions if you'd like. It's a bit of a road to travel yet, but worth every effort to a better life ahead.

I'm a passenger on planet Earth and God is driving.

Just a little update.  Dad is still doing well.  On Tuesday this last week he had to have another surgery to put in some biological mesh because his abdominal wall was a little thin.  Other than that he is doing really well.  He will have to stay in the hospital until he is eating normal and having regular bowels.  Unfortunately he was just getting to clear liquids when he had to have the second surgery so hopefully he will be able to start eating again this next week.  He is such a fighter and a great example to all.  I have yet to meet a person who didn't think my dad cared for them completely.  He is a friend to all and has had more support than I could have ever imagined.  I think that is what made this cancer bearable. 

Oh, and the great news came a few days after his transplant from pathology...he is CANCER FREE!!!!!!!

Fantastic news! 

What praises you speak of your father.  Doesn't this disease make us realize how special our parents are, and make us appreciate them even more?  That is the only good thing that I have been able to take from this wink.  My mom is a wonderful person, and she has been amazing through this whole process.  What a great example they are.

I am really happy for you!
Amy

Cancer Free....the most joyful words in our world of cancer.....Your Dad sounds like a wonderful person.  Thanks for sharing a bit about him and thanks for the incredible update.  Tons of good wishes to your Dad and a speedy recovery with a price reward: pancakes, eggs, bacon and toast. 
Bon appetit,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

That's a beautiful story & great news Daleymom, we're all so glad to hear it! We're wishing your Dad the very best!

-Tess

WOW! Fireworks going off. Bands playing. Flowers all of a sudden in bloom. It doesn't get any better than your news. That is just great and I bet you will have a fabulous Father's Day!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

I am so happy for you all. Life is sometimes so wonderful.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope