Hello Barbara, we went through the same thing with my Dad. His oncologist initially told him that the cc wasn't responsive to chemo & that radiation & resection were not options, he told Dad to go home & seek out experimental treatments.
While we could not locate an experiments that Dad would be a candidate for, we pursued about a dozen other opinions, some of which indicated Dad was a candidate for a radiation-chemo combo plan. After reviewing the other opinions, the original oncologist convened with an in-house surgeon & radiologist. Collectively, and against the honest position of the oncologist, they decided to pursue chemo-radiation in hopes of shrinking the tumor enough to attempt resection. They all indicated it was an 'aggressive approach'.... but given the alternative & stats, we felt that if Dad could tolerate it- he'd take it as far as he could, as it was believed (and were told) his survival depended upon removal of the mass.
Saddly, Dad lost his fight in March, even before the radiation or resection could be attempted. But even in hindsight, I'd definitely want the aggressive docs on my side, at least that way you have options. We were in contact with some of the best of the best when it comes to this cc (NIH, Sloan-Kettering, Duke, Mayo) & they all said no to resection. Only one said he'd do it, and at the end of the day, that's all we needed. Dad's body told another story & he fought as hard as he could. It's a very individual journey as you well know, and so many cases unfold differently. There are many miracle stories on this board & I pray you are one of them.
Wishing you all the best Barbara. Keep us posted.