Topic: Stupid washing machine broke!

My washing machine broke yesterday... this is the 4th one I've gone through in nine years.  Is it my bad luck or is it the fact that I have myself and three kids doing laundry all the time?

So I have to decide between getting a repair man out to look at it; or buying a new one (approx $350 for the cheap one); or go on Craigs List and find a used one.

Any input?  What's a good brand that won't break?

Re: Stupid washing machine broke!

My washing machine man says the older ones are always better so I say fix it or get a new 2nd hand one              Janet

Hi Lisa!  I say lets buy disposable clothes. I am a clean freak in the house but I hate doing laundry! We have the Sears stuff and I tell you it is now 13 years old with no problems. As is the fridge. So, when it came time to get new dish washer and stove we went back to Sears. No, I am not getting paid to advertise!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lisa,

My brother just got one off of craigslist for I think $75 but of course there is no guarantee. The people watching in the laundromat is pretty good and you get more creative outfits since it is more of a pain to go there and wash.

Patty

I think what happened is that my kids cram their laundry into the machine until it can't take any more.  Then the machine is pushed beyond it's limits time after time until it breaks.  Maybe I should go back to doing their laundry for them!

Goash, thats the same feeling when I cram my tummy too much!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

hahahaha!

Laundry, what a pain. We let it build up so there was 8, yes 8, loads of laundry that needed to be done...and it is just Hans and I!

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

lisa,

just watch out for the front loaders...................i finally (what has happened to my sense of smell???) realized that i have a mold problem due to the moisture around the gasket.  researching online, i found many others with the same problem.  i'm concerned as my towels smell moldy and i found a black mold behind the "drawer" where i put the liquid soap. 

i'm about to order a thing called "smelly washer" from the "advice" i've found from my research.

ok......i hardly read here as i'm overwhelmed taking care of our 7 year old grandson, jaedon, who is bipolar while i fight this nasty disease.  we took over jaedon's care, full-time, last december.  today i take him in for an ekg, thyroid function test, and counseling.

i have been battling much more pain since jaedon's arrival...pain management believes it's due to the tremendous stress i'm under.  jaedon cannot even brush his teeth by himself......i'm really ready to crack.

thank you to everyone who supports this board...

much love,
barb h

Goodness, Barb, you have a lot on your plate!  Can you get someone to help with relief care for Jaedon so you can have some time to rest?

As far as the washer, I bit the bullet and bought a new one to be delivered next week.  I like that they deliver the new one, set it up, and take away the old one.  If I had a truck, I'd buy one used, but oh well.

This time I'm going to severely lecture the kids about overloading the washer.  Basically, next time, "you break it, you buy it".

A good tip for front load washers is to always leave the door and drawer open after you are done using the machine so that it can dry out.  We've always done this and have never had any mold/mildew issues with ours.

30-something caregiver

Lisa, glad you got yourself a machine for cleaning your clothes :-).  as far as little jaedon goes...................i've only had two short breaks and that's when my nephew and his wife were so kind and cared for jaedon for two nights on two different weekends.  however, it appears jaedon may be going to live with his mom in az in a few weeks.  thank you for asking.

sara,
as far as the front-loader machine goes.........i've always left the door open after wiping it and the gasket with a rag.  this has not helped at all.  plus the mold has accumulated behind the soap dispenser drawer.  i have since received the "smelly-washer" product and hope that it will help.  also, my nice has been using tide he with minor mold problems.  i'm going to try that next.

thanks,
barb h

OK, now you girls got me!  Maybe its my age. But why would a front loader get moldy and not a top loader?  Also going over it with bleach might help rid the mold?

My Mom has a front loader & has never had a prioblem with mold.  I do think she leaves it open slightly when it is not in use.

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

lainy,

there's a rubber gasket around the "door" on front loaders.  water tends to accumulate there and in some cases, mold starts to form.  also, the drawer where the laundry soap, etc. is "dispensed" is in a horizontal position and once again, liquid pools in the drawer.

here's a couple links to postings from other front load owners who have the same problem as i have been having.

hope this explains the problem.   also, i have always left the "door" open and have always wiped down the gasket and door after using the machine.

barb h

http://www.ehow.com/PrintArticle.html?id=2117193

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=443

http://housewares.about.com/b/2007/10/0 … er.htm#gB3

barb - this is intriguing.  How old is your front loader?  Maybe I just haven't had mine long enough for it to be an issue?  We've only had it a couple of years.

30-something caregiver

sara

my front loader is about 7 years old.  it's a kenmore.  what brand is yours and what detergent do you use?

i'm just so worn out from fighting so many battles....then to have moldy smelling towels and find mold on the gasket and the detergent drawer......  we may just give up on the machine and buy a top loader.  after spending thousands on our grandson we feel it would be ok for us to replace the machine if the "smelly washer" treatment doesn't work.

at least, we think, this weekend our little grandson will be leaving to live with his mom.  perhaps i will stop chewing my nails off.  my husband is getting our grandson up right now as i type...if he's not taken to the toilet at least 2 times every night he will wet the bed.  then there's counseling, medication, more testing...........  dealing with his fighting divorced parents, the court, school, and unfortunately our grandson's difficult demeanor as he is not mentally well.  he is exhausting ..........today...tonight was no different and i have to spend every drop of my energy trying to guide him, teach him, care for him...........

i'll probably not be back for a week .....

thanks sara,
barb h