Topic: "Teddy" UPDATE

This last Tuesday Teddy had his latest stent exchange for the right ureter which has been damaged by the cancer and scar tissue. As of a week ago they approved a new metal ureter stent versus the plastic. The plastic J stent had to be replaced every 3 - 4 months due to "nasties" clogging it. The metal stent only has to be exchanged 6 months - 12. Right now he is having some discomfort and I am sure its due to the metal. If not better by Monday I will call the doc. In the meantime the radiologist has set up the next PET Scan (follow up from the cyber knife) for June 16th. I don't know if it is Teddy's age (76) or still all he has gone through or finally being retired and bored  but he is so tired all the time. And you know, then we start thinking! He has developed 3 hernias from scar tissue and surgery in his stomach. All doctors agree to just leave them. I don't know that he could take anymore surgery on his poor tummy.  OK thanks, it was my turn to vent a little. Hope everyone is having a splendid weekend. I know you must laugh at my medical terms.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: "Teddy" UPDATE

Lainy,

I know you can't help but start thinking, but remember what you keep saying. Attitude is everything and with the attitude that you two have everything will have to be OK. I will keep everything I can crossed hoping for the very best.  Let us know if things are better or not and also how things go with the PET Scan. I personally like your medical terms! smile

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hi Lainy;
I like your medical terms also! We all need to vent at times. I know I have this week. I start back on chemo Monday so I've been pretty down the last couple of days. It sounds like Teddy has gone through alot so I'm not surprised he's more tired, but I know what you mean about thinking about the what ifs.  I guess all we can do it to keep hoping and praying and fighting. I'll keep Teddy in my prayers that he has a good scan on the 16th. If he's still having a lot of discomfort tomorrow is there a doc on-call you could check with?
God Bless you both,
Jamie

Thanks Darla and Jamie. He said he felt better today. Gosh you are all so wonderful. I think it just helps to write out our thoughts. I also think after 4 years of this "stuff" and of living 2 months to 2 months sometimes it just gets to me more than other times. I said the other day we could all write a book.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy.....I am glad to hear about our miracle man feeling better.  And, if you had not told I would have never guessed him being 76 years old.  In fact, 66 would have been my guess.  And, I am not trying to win points here.
Hugs to both of you,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

good luck to teddy and you on the pet scan ...will be thinking and praying for good results......ron

Lainy,

That would be some book! Maybe then Oprah would take notice!  smile

I'm glad to hear that Teddy is feeling a bit better.

Good thoughts & prayers coming your way.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Lainy,
   I will be keeping my fingers crossed for a good scan.  I think you have one of the best attitudes I have ever seen, but, sometimes, it just wears us down, doesn't it?  I am glad he is feeling a bit better.

Joyce C.

Marion, you are too cute! Yes he does look younger and he loves being told that! Every time I think of us meeting you, and for those few who get to meet someone from our family, I think what a world of good it does for the soul to meet someone from this site. One just cannot imagine the feel when we meet each other. Its like a huge dose of wellness!!

Lainy, you are a wonderful wife and advocate for your husband.  Teddy strikes me as the shy and reticent type (although I may be completely wrong!) and you are the one who is ready, willing and able to stand up for the man you love.

Bravo!

11 (edited by devoncat Sun, 07 Jun 2009 09:57:59)

Lainy,
Holding my thumbs for a clean scan. Glad Teddy is feeling better. Sometimes I think that worrying can sap your strength and make you more tired than anything else. Perhaps he is having a little mental fatigue. Given everything that is happening, it is a possibility. I do understand about the worry. We all do so VENT VENT VENT. It is a nice change from me venting! smile

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Thanks, and good advise, Red!

In re: to Teddy....don't know about shy and quit.  You should have seen him at the conference.  He was incredibly outgoing and had no hesitation introducing himself to the physicians.  In fact, I don't think anyone was able to pass him by.  It was a joy to watch and in addition too, he was very effective in handing out brochures.  As Lainy has mentioned, the sheer connection on a personal basis is incredibly rewarding.  I am hoping for many more such encounters in the future and I will be calling out again, for anyone interested to please, be contacting me.  We have many conferences in  the US and now in Barcelona where I will be meeting up with Pauline. 
I am sure that the Phoenix area will also be another destination.  I can't wait to see Teddy in action once again.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Marion, you really know our little man, Teddy. For those who do not he sold cars for 37 years so he is anything but shy and quiet. He is not loud just not shy. He looks like he just walked out of the Godfather movie and talks like it too. He is Sicilian charming and honestly I have never seen a man so loved by all who meet him.  Does that sound right, Marion? Oh, and he is totally computer illiterate that's why he doesn't come on himself. Yes, I am a fighter for him from the onset almost 4 years ago. I guess once he saw how I handled it he just felt it was easier for him to have me do it all. And now after the radiation he knows his decisions and brain power is not always spot on.  Tough position  for a little tough guy to be in. I mean, after all who else would come up with the name Angelo Carcinoma making our CC group his own????

Hi Lainy, allow me to join the rest of the crew in saying that I'm glad you and Teddy are having a better day. Maybe Teddy needs a little more time on the greens for some added inspiration! You've helped us all out a million times over, and the least we can do is be here if you need to let it out...

Thinking of you and sending well wishes your way.

Tess

I'd love to meet you all in person!  I keep looking at the map, saying "Phoenix isn't THAT far from Seattle"

Thank you all and Lisa, come on out anytime!

Glad Teddy is feeling better. I wish I was closer to all of you. I am near Minneapolis. I wonder if there is anyone else around here? Has there ever been a conference around here? I wouldn't mind going to one. It would be nice to actually meet someone in person that knows what we are going through. Take care and God Bless,
Jamie

Lainy....absolutely.  How can one not love Teddy?  Impossible to do.

Jamie....thanks for the offer. It is nice to know that the CC Foundation can call on you.  Now, I really am wishing for a conference in your area.

Lainy, glad to hear that Teddy is feeling a bit better. Like everyone else, I am keeping my fingers crossed for his PET scan and hoping for some good news.

Best wishes to you both.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Lainy,  keeping you and Teddy in my thoughts daily.  Hope you are both enjoying summer.

Jamie...I'm in the Hibbing/Duluth area.  I go to cities often for meetings, visit family or just some good shopping opportunities.  Where exactly are you located?

Marian-I, too, wish for a conference in MN.  I feel helpless as to where I can begin to help, other than passing out my CC wristbands at ball games, talking to anyone who'll listen about this nasty disease etc.   I do enjoy letter writing, tabulating, brochures, mailings, marketing, etc...if there is ever anything I can do.  I can't think of a better way to honor my dad than to help others when this 'Angelo Carcinoma' comes about.

Jolene

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."     ~g. b. hinckley

22 (edited by marions Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:47:22)

Jolene....I believe, passing out info about this cancer is one of the most effective ways in bringing awareness with this cancer.  Jolene, there are many tasks which could use volunteer help with in fact, I, personally, could really benefit from someone keeping me organized.   There is so much to do and it is so very rewarding when being involved in the cause of finding a cure for this disease.  Please, don't hold back.  We need you.  I will forward your posting to Stacie who is diligent with her responses. 
Anytime, please e-mail Stacie if you would like to donate a few hours, days, etc. to this Foundation.  You may reach Stacie at:  stacie@cholangiocarcinoma.org

Thanks Jolene and everyone else for your kindenss
Marion

Jolene;
I am in Cannon Falls which is about an hour south of the cities. If you're ever in the cities I'd love to meet you. It would be nice if there was a conference here. I too would love to contribute to the cause as long as possible. It's kind of funny. When I was at Mayo last week waiting to see the Dr for my results I checked the website under volunteer area. I was trying to be optimistic and so hoping I could contribute but now I am back on chemo as of today and feeling pretty crappy. I'm still hoping to somehow make a contribution so that this journey I am on somehow is positive for someone in someway. Thanks for the post Jolene and hope to meet you someday. God Bless,
Jamie

Hi Jamie, you are making a huge contribution to our cause just by being here!  Hope you are soon feeling better.