Topic: What kind of pets do you have?

My house is a zoo!  We have two horses in the field behind our house.  We also have two dogs (Springer spaniel and terror mutt), two cats, and two goldfish to round it out.

No wonder my youngest daughter wants to go to college to study zoology!

Re: What kind of pets do you have?

I have 2 cats. They are complete opposites. One is a tiny, quiet short haired little girl and the other is a loud, talkative, fluffy long haired, huge beast. The big boy is American, the little girl Swedish.

Hans prefers his little girl and I love the fluffy boy. They bring such laughter and joy. The big boy walks around the house singing to himself.

My parents have a springer. I would love to have one. I bet yours has the standard springer wiggle butt.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

What a fun topic.  My hubby and I have no kids, per se.  We are 'pet parents'.  Or, at least, I am a 'pet mom'; hubby says he is held in a hostage situation.  Poor him.

Our menagarie:  our house is controlled by a spoiled beagle, 4 yrs old.  My cat of 20 years died a few months ago, my sheltie of 14 years died 1 1/2 years ago.  I grew up in a house full of Old English Sheepdogs>my parents raised them...not to breed or to show, they just loved 'em.

On weekends we are pet sitters to a 10mo old Golden Doodle, 9mo old Gordon Retriever, 4 year old Pappillon/chihauhau mix, 7 year old mix of I'm not quite sure.  My brother and his galpal run a rescue farm for animals...We watch these dogs, along with their 5 year old daughter, when they have to work...I take care of mom's shih tzu/lhasa apso mix at her home. 

As of this morning hubby and I are 'grandparents' as our returning robin hatched three little ones.  I was sitting in the yard this morning with my cup of joe watching these babies...the simple things in life truly are the most relaxing. 

Living in MN, there are 2 ponds and a lake in the woods behind our home.  Canadian Geese and loons are heard daily...as well as frogs and crickets.  A year ago, we had bear in neighborhood, and a few weeks ago a doe and her 2 young were in front of our house.  Last year there was a wolf sighting at my cousin's house 2 blocks away...

so we have quite the wildlife population.  I really never thought about it until now...what fun!

His royal beagleness bellows...gotta run.
Jolene

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."     ~g. b. hinckley

4 (edited by Cherbourg Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:48:22)

My four legged child is a beautiful Dalmatian with one blue eye and one brown one.  Since he was born in Durham North Carolina, has a "Duke Blue eye" and we are die hard Duke Blue Devil fans, his name of course is "Cameron".

He is the third Dally to grace our home.  The first was "Sparky" and the second one was "Domino".

Cameron's favorite trick is....When you ask him what happens when you catch on fire.....he will stop, drop and rollover.

Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Yes, our Springer does have a "wiggle butt"!  His favorite place to be petted is on his butt smile

I am getting a lot of pleasure out of watching the horses in the field.  It is very peaceful watching horses graze.  We don't have a lot of wildlife in our area as we live in a small suburb, but we do see bald eagles fly by quite often. 

My terrier loves to chase the squirrels that use our fence as a highway.  The back fence is about 20 yards away from the back door, and I swear he covers that distance in about three bounds!

My kitties luuvvvv to sleep in our beds all day.  I have no idea what they do at night, although one brought in a dead bird the other day as a gift. 

I love animals - we've always had at least one around.  They are such good companions.

What a great idea Lisa. Now this is a topic for me!!
I have 4 horses in our pasture. 2 quarterhorses, an Arab and a Norwegian Fjord.  One of the quarterhorses is a rescue that is now probably 30+. I love to see how he has blossomed the last 4 yrs since he's been here. I know what you mean about watching them graze. I love watching the old man get up the energy to play with the other gelding. He'll get on his hing legs, arthritic as they are and just play and nip.

We also have 4 dogs, all rescued. We were just given an 11yr old Newfoundland/Golden cross, also have a 12yr old Golden Retriever we got a couple of years ago, 12 yr old Skipperkee and a 2yr old Golden that we got as a puppy because the original adopters didnt want him because he had a heart murmur. Well he's perfectly fine now and outgrew it. Their loss. He has the same "wiggle butt" you mention with your springer. He has actually hit himself in the head with his butt when he really gets going! He usually has something in his mouth when he does it.

We also have 3 cats, either dumped at side of the road or left at barns. The fat cat will bat the 2yr old Golden in the nose so hard you can hear the hit. It is too funny! The dog just sits there and takes it and closes his eyes.    We had a 4th cat that we lost about 10 months before I was diagnosed. She had liver cancer also. It was from our vet that I learned about milk thistle because we had the cat on it. And last but not least we have a cockatiel.
It is a zoo around here most days not to mention all the hair they leave around for me smile
Jamie

Our newest horse is an older rescued quarterhorse that was on his way to the slaughterhouse.  My daughter persuaded me to take him in, and how could I say no to what otherwise would be a death sentence? 

He is a nice horse, and a good pasture buddy for our Morgan.

Lisa,
Your daughter sounds like a wonderful young lady and how lucky she is to have a Mom like you. I think these rescues are sometimes the best because it seems that some of them know they were saved from bad situations. It's amazing when they've been badly abused and they still can trust and love someone.  God Bless,
Jamie

Jamie...you are so right.  Our little beagle was a rescue.  We got him when he was 6 mo old.  He had a broken leg from being thrown down a flight of stairs, then they neglected to take him to a vet.  He walks with a limp now, and the poor thing sometimes seizures.  He brings me so much joy.  And we spoil him...yikes!  My cat that I mentioned earlier was found dumped by the side of a country road in a bag with 2 other kittens.  My friends and I split them up between us.  I had her for 20 years.  My sheltie was from a MI group home and was pounded on by the residents there.  She had a terrific fear of men, but adored my husband. 

My brother and his girlfriend have a rescue farm.  They've got pot belly pigs, a llama, a Scottish cow that thinks its a dog, and a dog that thinks its a cow (???),rabbits, sheep etc. in addition to a variety of dogs, cats and birds, all of which were scheduled to be put down.  All very interesting.  But, oh so much work! And expensive.  She's really good about finding people and/or farms to adopt the animals.

Such devotion and unconditional love to receive at any given time.  I can live with that!

Jolene

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."     ~g. b. hinckley

Jolene,
Yep unconditional love. That is what they give us. I cant tell you how many times I've gone into the barn at night and just cried with one of my horses. I can share with them the sadness I don't want my family to see. I have been amazed at their reactions. I've got one that nuzzles up and just cuddles when I'm crying. It's as if she know I need a little TLC. I just love animals and the friends I've found on this site! God Bless,
Jamie

Jamie,

Are you calling us animals? I think I resemble that remark. LOL

Louise smile

I have a cat and he is a slow and inaffective hunting sort of animal,and thank goodness because we live near the bush and have to be aware of the native animals.We get all kinds in our garden-possums,echidnas,flying foxes,all kinds of great birds,small kangaroos occasionally and all kinds of snakes-some beautiful pythons.Sometimes we find an injured animal and my youngest son takes them to the local vet and they are great with the native animals.                    Janet

Louise wrote:

Jamie,

Are you calling us animals? I think I resemble that remark. LOL

Louise smile

Louise,
Yep, we're all animals here. I picture us as a pack of lions and tigers and bears, on my, fighting this evil cancer together. smile

Jamie