Re: Neulasta concerns Please Help!

My husband has had MRIs every three months up until March with Gov't sponsored healthcare. He has never been denied anything and I don't expect that to change if we get a new health care program in place. I actually expect things to get worse if something isn't done as insurance companies are struggling like everyone in business. Mary

Re: Neulasta concerns Please Help!

I am also on Anthem/BC/BS through my husband's employment, so even if I have to quit my job, I should still have my insurance without COBRA. That is a real relief and concern. They have been very good to me, though I have had to push pretty hard to get some things covered. I have learned a few things about my insurance company. I can file an appeal on my own behalf, and then the insurance company contacts the Doctor if more medical info is needed or needs to be confirmed. The insurance company seems to have a policy of denying anything questionable on first and sometimes second claim, but they often yield to persistance. One reason they try to say treatment is experimental is because our cancer is so rare and so scarcely studied compared to other diseases that the medical community has not even had a standard protocal for treating it. Few people would deny radiation as a treatment for cancer, but the insurance company tried to say that my radiation was experimental because it was not on a protocal for cc. Both my primary oncologist and my radiation oncologist assured me that the bill for my radiation was to be negotiated between the hospital and the insurance company; I would not be responsible for it. I am well pleased with my health care team.

My concern about nationalized medicine stems from what I saw when my husband was in the air force. Each doctor seemed to be under time pressure, as appointment times were overbooked. Our appointments were typically with a department, not necessarily a specific doctor. If you did not arrive with your list of questions written out, they didn't have time for chit-chat while you tried to recall what you wanted to ask, and it really helped if everyone did the kind of learning/asking questions before they saw the doctor so we knew what to ask. Treatments were readily available and we never even saw a bill (that's the part I miss), but I saw people who did not get the care they should have had simply because they did not know what or how to ask. So in my mind, the people who need healthcare help most still may not get what they need unless the role of advocate becomes huge.