Topic: What's the Scoop on Soy?

My daughter was recently diagnosed with an under active thyroid and is going to try natural pathic first. I know this is not CC but there has been discussion on soy and cancer. The N.P. doctor has told her that soy takes out other minerals our body needs. She said that farmers have a hard time harvesting the soy beans as they have "sucked" up all the minerals from the ground and are hard to pull out. So the premise is if they soak up that much in minerals are they also taking it from our bodies. I have had Teddy on Soy Milk and he loves it as he is lactose intolerant. I may just switch him to Organic. Just curious. Also, Robin eats edamame every day.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: What's the Scoop on Soy?

Hi Lainy;
It was suggested to me that I use Rice milk or Almond milk instead of the soy. I dont remember exactly what the reason was. I can ask my Dr for accupuncture when I see her next week if you want. On a side note, we have a guy that farms some of our land that we aren't using and I know that he has talked about having to put stuff back in the soil after he plants soybeans. He had them last year and this year its in oats to replenish the soil. So this kind of supports what the NP was saying.
Take care and God Bless,
Jamie

Wow. Thanks. Tess and I are also looking in to other possibilities.  Kind of makes you think about all the Organic stuff, huh? We settled tonight for Lactose.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

I'm not sure the good doctor knows much about soy beans. My dad was a farmer all his life and raised soy beans. I had several summers of weeding them. No, I don't think soy beans are that hard to harvest. Dad thought corn was harder on the soil than soy beans. Corn needed a lot more nutrients added to make a good crop. Where soy beans are concerned, though, they don't typically have a lot of flavor of their own but they absorb the flavor of whatever they are cooked with. They are a good source of protein. Tofu comes from soybeans. Unfortunately, some people are allergic to soy. Makes it difficult for them to eat at some of the fast food places, because some of the burger patties have soy mixed in.
I wasn't sure I knew much about nutrition, but I sure sound like I know a bit. Guess it comes from living a while and paying attention to people with allergies.
smile  smile  smile

Thanks, Louise. Very interesting. Teddy has been off the Soy Milk for  about 10 days now and he is not complaining about feeling bloated or the other nasties that were going along with it.  You could be right that perhaps he is just allergic to soy.

Hi Lainy, I did follow up with the Prof. again, have not heard back yet, but will be certain to forward any new news to you. Glad to hear that Teddy is tolerating the soy!

Best,
Tess

Not so, Tess. He has been off of it for almost 2 weeks now and feeling much better......

Oh.... I see I missed the 'off soy' in the earlier reference Lainy- he's certainly not alone! 

-Tess

That's really OK that you missed that "off". OMG its so hot here today, 115o and we are going out to dinner for our "15th". Teddy said I made it to 15 now I want to make it to 20.  He will get no argument from me!

Amen to that one Lainy- enjoy an extra glass of wine for this prego and enjoy the night!!!  Happy Anniversary!!
-Tess

Happy Anniversary, Lainy and Teddy!!!!

Happy Anniversary, Lainy and Teddy!!!   Here's to the next 5, and 5 more, and so on...

Minnesota Hugs!
Jolene

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."     ~g. b. hinckley