Topic: Father Diagnosed June 2006, now doing Chemo
Hello fellow members / readers;
I have been reading posts on the website for quite sometime and only today have the courage to actually register and post.
CC is really a horrible disease and really causes much sadness in everyone's lives. My father was diagnosed in June of 2006. Was a complete shock to us all as he is the most healthy person anyone could imagine. Although a little overweight, around 240pounds, some hypertension due to age, never even had a tooth cavity in his life and eats healthy and is very fit. My dad is a very family oriented person, and we are all so close, and now I am clueless as to how to even proceed forward as very confused and afraid of this horrible disease.
It was about a month after his 60th birthday, that my dad had plans to travel to China / Far East with my mom over the summer. He went to his GP to get a good supply of hypertension medication when the GP said for him "out of nowhere" to run a blood test. Results came back with elevated ALT / AST levels, however lower than that of a year ago. My father has fatty liver, and he thought this improvement was due to the recent increase in exercise. Again, "out of nowhere" the GP suggested a ultrasound, and the second day, my dad was called back into his office which they said they found a 5 cm mass on his liver. We were all shocked when he told us the news, and then his GP ordered AFP lab tests, which were normal. I immediately notified my doctors here and asked them to arrange a CT Scan within three days. CT Scan / MRI showed two tumors on seg 4 / seg 8 of his liver, and doctors caid they could operate, but the position was quite risky. On the 4th of July my dad underwent extensive surgery / liver segmentectomy 4+8, and doctors were able to obtain clear margins. CA 19-9 pre-op was at 91.9, and month later post-op was 34.6 with ALT/AST returning to normal levels. We thought this nightmare was now behind us and my father recovered very well until October of 2006.
On his follow-up ultrasound was normal, however CA19-9 was elevated at 128, and CT Scan showed 3 lesions, largest being 2.7cm. Doctors suggested to use RFA (radiofrequency ablation), and 3 lesions were treated with RFA. Oncologist that time suggest chemo, but we were all so afraid of chemo and refused it immediately. Nov 2006, CA19-9 drops to 80.28, and two weeks later also at 80 with some low density areas on CT. Doctors recommended follow-up, CT Scans on monthly basis, and at this time my father started taking a mushroom extract, and took it for about three months until beginning of February.
Come January 2007, CT Scan showed low density areas, but CA19-9 now at 270. PET / CT then showed 4 small lesions, and then subsequent MRI showed many small lesions on both lobes. Chemo being our only option left at this time. Oconolgist was very scary at the beginning, saying only 25% chance, but now turns out a much nice gentleman. Beginning of FEB CA19-9 jumped to 1076, so we decided to go ahead with chemo right away. Port-a-cathe was installed beginning of FEB, and oncologist recommended FOLFOX (oxaliplatin, leucovorin, 5-FU), 6 x 48 hour cycles, and 10 days in between.
Chemo has been generally easy to tolerate, with minor side effects. T Bil, was at 0.6-0.9 in betwen 1st and 4th session of Chemo. This week my father had his 5th session of chemo, CA19-9 now at 1450, and T Bil 1.3 with ALT / AST levels in 150's (stable throughout past 3 months). We are now clueless as how to proceed forthgoing. Doctors have ordered an MRI tomorrow and suggesting possibly changing to change to GEMZAR. Am very much worried and clueless and any suggestions are welcome.
CC is really a horrible disease and cannot imagine losing my father. Have seen the many posts on this website and many hopes. I hope my father is one who can survive past the 5 year survival rate. Fingers crossed and thanks for any suggestions. Sorry for the long post, but needed to relate all the info across.