Topic: What I would have done differently if I would have known better
If I could rewind to july 1st 2009 I would. I would have asked for a 2nd opinion before allowing my mom to receive chemo. I would have gotten the 2nd even though my mom did not have insurance yet (or medi-caide). I would have opted for another form of treatment less invasive. I would have, I would have, I would have...
Side note...Having insurance in America greatly improves your ability to stay alive and fight!
During my mom's second opinion appt in Portland, on Wednesday we were told that the tumors in her liver were making her sick and not the chemo. We knew she had bile duct cancer w tumors in her liver only it has not spread...but I guess those tumors were enough. Dr told us she only has weeks left. The chemo and cancer have robbed her of strength to walk or move unassisted. She cannot eat without vomiting. They sent in social services to help us with hospice.
We decided to rent a mini van and drive her home to southern ca (from Eugene Oregon 14hours) Dr advised us that she was to sick to ride a 2 hour flight!We are in the process of getting her approved for medical. The hospice care we chose is nation wide granted we had medical pending.
The Dr helped us by getting her a Paracentesis on the Thursday before we left. And prescribed Marinol(not covered by insurance, pill form marijuana for nausea which worked wonders by the way made her sleepy and hungry)
We made it (she was a trooper, considering we had to lay her in the back on memory foam! Getting her in and out of that thing was like watching the 3 stooges!))
The swelling is back, of course and so is the vomiting...It is so hard to watch her suffer, day after day. She is scared. I wish we could have done something to save her. She is still here in pain less the n half the women she was.
Is there any hope at this point? Does anyone have a story out there that was given weeks but is still here fighting?
so sorry this is such a bummer post, you guys are always so positive. Sorry