Topic: Planting my bulbs

We planted tons of daffadils and tulips at our summer house last week. Then, I went into the store and saw PINK, yes pink daffadils. Of course I needed them, so now I have 54 more bulbs to plant. I wish I would have known about them earlier. I would not have gotten so many white ones. When I googled them, I found out there were also peach ones so now I am on the lookout for them too. How many daffadil and tulips are too many?

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Re: Planting my bulbs

That sounds gloriously beautiful! Wish you could send us a picture when they are in full bloom. Are the pink ones to match your pink sequined fighting robe and your pink leather gloves?

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Kris.....one can NEVER have enough Daffadils.  Keep planting.  Is your Mom still visiting?   
Hugs
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

4 (edited by Lalupes Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:49:23)

That sounds wonderful, Kris (& I love the idea that the moment you saw them you *needed* them).

Thank you for yet another excellent idea.  My sister is an avid gardener & last year she planted daffodils all round the square where she lives.  How wonderful if I could get her some pink ones to plant amongst them this year.

I, too, look forward to seeing your photos.

smile smile smile

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wonderful idea!  I think we should have daffodils under our logo tree and use them to celebrate Cholangiocarcinoma Month!

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Kris,

You are too funny, 54 bulbs! I like people who don't do anything small!

I am also trying to resist plants and flowers, it looks like I bought myself a house and I will have an awful lot to do with moving and getting settled and I won't move in til late October when the cold will start to set in but some maiden grass was calling to me the other day at the store. I visited it again the other day and if it is still there tomorrow I am thinking it was meant to be!

Patty

The best way of contributing ideas is to post under "Suggestion".  This way we will be assured for Rick, Stacie and Sara to follow up, or respond.  Keep it coming.
Hugs
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

MArion,
My parents left on the weekend, but not before I put them to work in the garden. My dad planted two late ripening raspberries to go with our late ripening strawberries...right now we are eating the most yummy fresh strawberries and the plants still have flowers so hopefully we will have a couple more weeks of those. My mom and I planted around 100 or more tulips and daffadils. 

Patty, there is no point in not going crazy and doing things small. Besides, I am so miserable here in Sweden in the winter that I long for the spring. Early spring flowers will certainly cheer me up after the long dark cold winter. I think when it is all said and done, I will need to buy and plant around 200 more daffadils to line my fence and of course some allium, snowdrops, hyicenths, and crocus. Hans often gets overwhelmed by my over enthusiastic response to things, but he has learned to deal with it. I just love the thought of everything in bloom and since they are perennials, he will always have them and not have to replant anything for years.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Kris,

I am getting a hilarious visual of you rolling around in fields of flowers, the wind blowing your hair ever so slightly, the sun shining and making your hair the most beautiful shade of whatever color it is right now! It sounds like such fun, please, roll around some for me!

Patty

Kris, You can NEVER have too many flowers!!!!!  Tulips and daffodils were my Mom's favorite, so I am going to get some and get to planting them also.  One year she had me plant 200 of them... yes 200 in one small spot.  Maybe I will plant 200 again, and know that she is smiling down at me.

Love, Amy

I was rereading old posts and found this one which is classic Kris all the way, she is just bursting with life. The last sentences of her last reply about Hans are so touching.

Patty

If you go to her facebook page and look at her photos, she has some glorious pictures of her daffodils and snow drops in bloom....

Pam

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Pam,

I am kind of new to Facebook and have not done much with it (I am a decidedly low-tech librarian) so I just sent a friend request, not sure if Hans can accept me as Kris's friend so I can see her fields upon fields of flowers.

Patty

Yes, well the wild boar ate more or less all the tulips two months ago. (Kris was really heartbroken when I told her, because she had really thought of them as a legacy...)  But it seems they didn't like the daffodils...

I will always associate Kris with daffodils....they will multiply and be her legacy.

Hugs,
Pam

monkeybutt wrote:

Yes, well the wild boar ate more or less all the tulips two months ago. (Kris was really heartbroken when I told her, because she had really thought of them as a legacy...)  But it seems they didn't like the daffodils...

There is an old, unused, railway embankment at the back of my house & my sister has always said she wishes to plant daffodils on it.  I've never seen wild boar in London, but it's great to know they don't like daffs wink

I've always loved daffs as being bright, beautiful & truly optimistic spring flowers.  Having read Kris' posts about them over the past year, I, too, will always now associate them with her.  It will be wonderful to have an embankment of them to welcome the Spring.

big_smile

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tulips have always been a favorite of mine as well.  I think I will plant some this year in honor of Kris.  Hans - can you tell me what her favorite color tulip was?  I would be honored to plant some to always remind me of her beautiful spirit. - Nancy

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....

Hans....In one of our personal e-mails Kris had commented on the tree she had planted for Peter.  She was hoping much for it to have survived the boar attack.  Did it?
Hugs
Marion

Oh dear, I'm afraid I haven't seen this untill now! Kris was always the one who used the forum (there is a lovely thread where she opens a discussion on how it affects a relationship and freedom of expression on the board if both patient and caregiver use it), and I check in very seldom nowadays.

The answer at last is yes! I was worried, because the pigs dug up the tulips planted all around the base of the tree, and in doing so uncovered some of the roots. But two years after the first and worst attack the tree is doing fine. No plums on it yet though.

Good to know, about the tree.  Thanks for your answer.  I will call you soon.
Hugs,
Marion