Topic: CAREGIVERS TAKE CARE

I went for my pre-op today and received this list for caregivers on what to do to take care of them selves. I thought it was excellent because taking care of yourself is one of the best things you can do for your loved one!

*Be kind to yourself-don't over schedule your life at a stressful time.
*Rather than sitting for long periods of time, take a walk, even if its just to the cafeteria, outside or the gift shop (my favorite).
* Make sure you get enough sleep and rest.
*East several small meals a day and stay well hydrated. Its easy to forget to nourish yourself while you are worried about someone else.
*Ask for help if you need it both at home as well as at the hospital.
*Allow extra time to get ready and to drive to and from the hospital. Stress can cause accidents. Wear your seat belt!
*Request a blanket if you are cold.
*Carry a pad of paper and a pen with you to write down questions for the doctor or nurse.
*Ask for a visit from a spiritual care adviser if it will bring you comfort.
*Seek the advise of your own health care professional if you feel the events in your life are too overwhelming to handle.
PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF....we are needed!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: CAREGIVERS TAKE CARE

Thank you, Lainy, for that well-timed advice.  I found yesterday very tough & went to bed last night feeling near burnout.  Today my emotions are very close to the surface & I have another tough day scheduled.

Your list has brought me up with a jolt.

I'll print them off & keep them with me.

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Re: CAREGIVERS TAKE CARE

Good. I know its easier said than done but we need to keep telling ourselves that our loved ones need us. From experience, I feel we need to rest as then our stress level is much better and we can deal better with everything. I know one thing for sure, you are a wonderful sister!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.