Topic: Teddy's LABS for this month

Well, fun seekers, not the news we wanted. T went in for his B12 shot today at the ONC and I asked him to bring home his LABS from Monday. August his CA19 was 11, September 56 and this month 109.  We go to the RadMan Oct 23rd to discuss the new small "spot".  Seems to me that when they say they want to "discuss " the PET results it usually means more than that. Probably a good thing I am on percoset right now as it numbs the brain a tad. OK more than a tad.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: Teddy's LABS for this month

I'm afraid I haven't yet heard of "CA19" in my own CC experience - I'd better do a search on it - but if it's not the news you wanted, then I'm really sorry.  I send love to Teddy & to you, Lainy.  I hope the news improves soon.

Jx

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

3 (edited by Katieloumatt Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:42:01)

Julia,

Here is some info about CA 19 which is a tumour marker, obtained through a blood test,

CA 19-9 is not sensitive or specific enough to use as a screening test for cancer, and it is not diagnostic of a specific type of cancer. Its main use is as a tumor marker:

To help differentiate between cancer of the pancreas and other conditions, such as pancreatitis
To monitor a person's response to pancreatic cancer treatment and/or cancer progression
To watch for pancreatic cancer recurrence
CA 19-9 can only be used as a tumor marker if the cancer is producing elevated amounts of it. Since CA 19-9 is elevated in about 65% of those with bile duct (hepatobiliary) cancer, it may be ordered to help evaluate and monitor people with this type of cancer.

When is it ordered?
CA 19-9 may be ordered along with other tests, such as carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), bilirubin, and/or a liver panel, when a person has symptoms that may indicate pancreatic cancer. Those symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea, weight loss, and jaundice.
If CA 19-9 is initially elevated in pancreatic cancer, then it may be ordered several times during cancer treatment to monitor response and on a regular basis following treatment to help detect recurrence.

CA 19-9 may sometimes be ordered when a doctor suspects hepatobiliary cancer and/or bile duct obstruction. Non-cancerous causes of bile duct obstruction can cause very high CA 19-9 levels, which fall when the blockage is cleared. In these cases, it is a good idea to wait at least a week or two after the blockage is removed to re-check CA 19-9 levels.

J, in Teddy's case (mind you every single person is different) every time his CA19 marker has gone up it means trouble. So I go with my gut feeling, not very scientific I know, but has worked up to now. August he was at 11, jumped to 56 in September and now 109. A year and a half ago when it happened just like this his CC returned where his duodenum used to be.  The new PET shows a new small tumor, reason for the visit to the Radman Oct 23rd.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Thank you very much, Katie & Lainy.  There's so much to learn, isn't there.  I'd heard of tumour markers, but didn't know much about them.

Very best of luck with the RadMan!!

Jx

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."