Topic: Ultimate Scottish Delicacy?

Last night I had for my supper, wait for it!!!,  wait for it!!!!

Haggis Pizza

It combines everything a Scotsman strives for - traditional (haggis) and the exotic  (pizza).  Now, if they could only incorporate the boiled neeps and tatties.  I am sure Scottish invention will overcome.

What's that?  Was it good?  Well, no.  Actually it was rotten, but I did eat it and that is a great step forward.  It was store bought, so no slur on Margaret's cooking.

Take care

Ron

Re: Ultimate Scottish Delicacy?

Ron....could you translate this?  What is haggis, neeps and tatties?  You don't generally eat rotten food therefore, I assume that Margaret does a better job of cooking it. 
Best.
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

It sounds absolutely terrible-haggis pizza,I must tell my Scottish neighbours

Marion, I'm sure we discussed haggis with our old pal, Jeff, But I found this site that may be helpful.  The truth is that it is almost always bought from the butcher and they have their own "tweeks" to the recipe.

This may be helpful:

http://www.scotlands-enchanting-kingdom … ients.html

You are correct in that we normally have very fine foods, having the best of fruits, fish, domestic and game animals and birds.  Gavin will know all about the fruit and berries. 

This site tells about neeps and tatties and some of the better fare:

http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2001-01:haggis

Take care
Ron

Ron,

Glad you enjoyed it..... Can't think of anything worse, LOL!!!

Katie

I think just about every culture in the world has its form of haggis. Haggis came about from not wanting to waste precious bits of meat/protein. Have you ever seen a white Boudin sausage? Looks like haggis. Pate? Creamy haggis. Even us North Americans have our form of haggis... ever had yourself a piece of pan fried scrapple with your breakfast? Yep, American Haggis!

My mom made neeps (always at Thanksgiving) but never mixed with the tatties.. and I make a fine Cock'o Leek soup (once it stops being over a 100 degrees - which it's gonna be again this weekend..ugh!).

But any who just thought I'd chime in.. Happy Wednesday Everyone!

Bz

Bazel

I have to confess that some of the contents of sausage are not that appealing to me.  But, most N European cultures exist in lower temperatures so waste of anything is discouraged.  Particularly food.  So if most of the earlier settlers in N America were of N European stock, it is not surprising that this outlook was also brought over.  So, things like haggis, soups etc entered the everyday lifestyle and would be adapted as people married.

That's a bit deep for a subject like haggis pizza!!!

So temperatures are still at 100 degrees?  We are half of that.  Where would I rather be?  I'll think about it.

Take care

Ron

Did someone mention haggis, yum! My dad and I both love it, but my mum cant stand it! Although she does like the neeps and tatties!

Glad you were able to eat your haggis pizza Ron, although it doesn't sound like my favourite pizza topping!

We do indeed have some very fine foods here in Scotland and a lot of delicious berries grown near my hometown of Dundee. And just 20 miles up the coast from me is the hometown of the Arbroath Smokie! A delicious smoked white fish, a Haddock, which goes well with just a touch of butter on it. Delicious!

However, the 100 degree temperature days are non-existant here, even at the height of summer!

Best wishes all.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Ah..I love smoked fish.  The problem I have found in the U.S. is that most smoked fish should be called "salted fish with some smoke flavor."  Salt and sugar one can find in abundance here but, I think, it takes away from the flavor. 
I am enthralled with all the haggis, neeps, and tatties, but, Bazel, what is scrapple.
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

10 (edited by Bazel Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:18:08)

Scrapple is mostly found in farming areas and especially those with a Pennsylvania Dutch background. I liken it to a pate type preparation that includes left over pork bits, spices and usually a bit of filler like corn meal or flour. It all gets mixed up - and then the one's I have seen (not eaten .. but I don't do Spam either) are then put into a loaf pan and baked. Once baked and cooled it's sliced and brown up in a skillet on each side.  I suppose in a way spam could be modern scrapple.

As far as our weekend heat - this should be our last hurrah. Lainy just up the street from me - she too is enjoying one last blast of summer. In any case I am off to the Caribbean next week to cool off - woo-hoo!

Bz

Well I must be dense........I thought the ultimate Scottish Delicacy was ..............wait for it..........

MEN IN KILTS!!!!!!!!

LOL

Hugs....

Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Pam.....Ron had covered this one some time ago. Enjoy.
www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=2158
Marion