Time for another update, again copied from a mail message to my friends and family. It came at the end of an unexpected hospital stay last week. It's written for folks who often have less knowledge of this disease then many of us here.
Since getting home the medicine has caused some issues I'm working on, I'm trying to get back to a microbiotic diet with a good hit of protein thrown in to try to stabilize, if not increase, my weight. This means some organic meats and fish.
1. The blood and vomiting that brought me in here appear to be the result of some pretty minor symptoms that are easily fixed. The test
this AM will help confirm this.
2. I do have some very consequential issues that are not new and that
we have been tracking and are now getting worse.
One is a restriction of blood flow through a vein that was part of my
original surgery. This causes what is called Portal Hypertension and
produces some of the symptoms and problems I am dealing with.
The second is a restriction of the flow of bile from my liver which
causes the bile to backup into the liver contributing to liver damage
as well as other symptoms.
Both of these restrictions are the result of the inevitable scarring
that occurs with the kind of surgery I had. The scar tissue, likely
mixed with tumor cells, continues to accumulate creating problems.
3. The 5 weeks of Chemo ( Two 2 week cycles with a week off in
between) appears not to have been effective in fighting the cancer as
measured by a continued increase in the tumor marker in my blood.
So, what's to do now? While we had hoped that both of the
restrictions could be eased with the insertion of stents to enhance
the flow this does not appear to be possible in my case. The Doctors
here, in consultation with Dr Jenkins who is my Boston surgeon and
for whom I have the utmost respect and trust, have agreed that the best
course is to treat my symptoms with a variety of drugs. I started
most of them last night, so far so good.
I also have now had a viewing of my stomach which showed an area of restriction. We're waiting for the pathology report on a biopsy of the restriction.