I was researching cholangiocarcinoma as a friend I was in Vietnam with has been recently diagnosed with the disease. I also received an email (indirectly) that is included below ------------\
The VVA Veteran
Vol 27, No 4
July /August 2007
I am writing to inform all Vietnam veterans about a potential health risk that they may have been exposed to while serving in Vietnam: the little-know danger from Parasites.
My husband, who was otherwise healthy, passed away on January 20, 2006, from cholangiocarcinoma, cancer of the bile duct of the liver. It is very rare in the United States, but very prevalent in Vietnam and surrounding countries. There are two know causes of this type of cancer: from contracting hepatic C and from ingesting a parasite from the water supply in Vietnam. My husband did not have hepatitis C: there fore, it was determined that his cancer derived from a parasite. I have received official notification from the VA that his death was service related, which is not something the VA determines without an overwhelming amount of evidence.
This cancer does not manifest itself until later in life, when you are between 60 and 70 years old. Once the symptoms occur, which usually include jaundice, it is very difficult to treat or beat. My husband was 58 years old when he passed away. If he had been informed that there was a possibility that he could have ingested a parasite while serving in Vietnam, he would have taken precautions to have his bile ducts examined, possibly extending his life. The parasite is long gone, but it developed into cancerous tumors in the bile ducts.
If you spent time in Southeast Asia and are having gastrointestinal issues for no apparent reason, please have you physician check for damage within the bile ducts. It may save your life.
Mrs. Edward S (Pete) H******** (edited as I do not have permission to use her name)
Horseheads, New York.
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this??? Thanks for this website I will let my friend know about it.