Topic: Good news....but no real answers.
We went to the UPMC today and met with Dr. Gamblin after having one of their "special" cat scans. The good news is that the scan was clear according to the Dr., ( the radiologist's report won't be ready 'til tomorrow). The difficult part is that he wants Tom to meet with their transplant Dr and consider quite seriously the idea of a live donor transplant. It would depend , I guess, on whether they can get the tumor markers to come down. They may put in a stent once again and see if that would help. That makes sense to me since they are saying the increased markers may be due to obstruction. The idea of a liver transplant when he is so healthy is pretty crazy. It's a real gamble either way. Do you do it now, while you are healthy and able to recover more easily or do you wait and possibly not be a candidate due to mets or ill health? It's been three and a half years with no sign of recurrence or mets, if it wasn't for those blasted tumor markers......
Anyway, nothing is going to happen tomorrow, maybe not even for months, if at all. They will discuss his case Weds. at their group forum at the UPMC and we will continue to go to OSU for follow-up, bloodwork, scans etc. The great thing is Dr Gamblin actually had dinner last Thurs at Disneyworld( a DRs. convention??) with Dr. Bloomston and they discussed Tom's case. It's a very small world!! They actually know each other and have discussed him before- he's pretty much one of a kind so they find his case very interesting. That's it for now. We have to wait for the results of a prostate biopsy that he had last Thur. Hopefully that will be fine too and we'll just wait and see what's next!! Take care everyone!!! Mary