Topic: Lets Talk Cremation Urns

I am not trying to be a downer, but I am trying to organise everything "just in case" my surgery doesnt go as I would like.

I am definately getting burnt and scattered. But I think I will need an urn if there is a memorial. But I just cant have any ole urn. I cant decide if I want to go with my art historian/ museum worker side and have a nice arts and crafts period metal tea caddy or nice ceramic piece or go with my fun side and have me stashed in a wacky cookie jar. I really want the cookie jar but Hans is worried it will look like he just threw me in whatever he could find. But I think that my friends and family would not only laugh their heads off, but would appreciate that I didnt even take that seriously. What do you think? Is it too weird to have a cookie jar as an urn?

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Re: Lets Talk Cremation Urns

Kris an Urn is such a personal decision. It would have been easier if you had asked purple or red? OK so here goes another Lainy story.
I am crazy clean! When T first got sick 4 years ago we started discussing cremation and decided that's the way to go for us. I sent a note out to all the siblings his and mine and my daughter-in-law got hysterical because Jewish people do not cremate although more are doing it. Anyway she called Robin (my daughter) and said, "Can you believe what your mom wants to do? How could a woman who spent her whole life being so clean want to spend eternity as dust?" It was not meant to be a joke but we just howled.
OK 1 suggestion. Pick an Urn that will match the room Hans wants to have you in. And I feel all these things should be discussed, you are not a downer.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

OMG!!  You amaze me!  I love your strength and your sense of humor.  Cookie jar, indeed!  You did, after all, develop the cholangiocarcinoma cookie, did you not?  It would stand to reason that you should continue to promote your creativity and your uniqueness. 

I am sending you so many good vibes for your upcoming surgery, Kris.  This world, and this panel, are truly better for having you here.

Jolene

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."     ~g. b. hinckley

It is better to have these discussions about your wishes, just in case.From my experience it is harder for partners to discuss but realistically it is just part of caring for loved ones to instigate discussions and make your feelings and preferences known.                         Janet x

5 (edited by Cherbourg Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:29:06)

Kris...you absolutely rock!

This was the first post I read today and I'll be laughing all day.  I thought I was the only one that worried about things like this!

Have you entertained the thought of making your own unique CholangioCookie jar?  Maybe with a purple, red and green color combo? 

As for poor Hans, just prep him with the line...."I couldn't control her"....lol

Seriously, I vote for the cookie jar idea...because when you're past all of this, I believe your guests would rather have cookies from a jar as opposed to an urn!

You continue to be a pure joy to me!  You are an amazing woman!

Hugs to you and Hans...

Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

6 (edited by Darla Tue, 23 Feb 2010 06:07:00)

Kris,

You are truely amazing.  I own an antique shop and my home is full of them too.  We did not have time to talk much about this, but it was Jim's wish to be cremated.  So when the questiion of an urn came up I said I have so many things of ours to chose from.  Jim's ashes are in a small beautiful turn of the century wooden chest that was from a store in our home town.

I thinking the cookie jar idea is great!

I am hoping you will not have need of it in the near future, but if and when I know you will make a choice that is a reflection of you.  I agree, Hans can just say he had no control!  smile

I hope you get all the anwers you need on Thursday and that everything is a go for the surgery.

Take care Kris.

Lots of Love & Hugs for both of you.

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

I'd go with the cookie jar if I were you, and have a few chocolate chips loaded in it for your trip along the way. LOL

You have a terrific sense of humor like I have. Don't ever, ever lose it.

I'm a passenger on planet Earth and God is driving.

Ok, I have decided on a cookie jar. Hopefully I wont need it, but I have alerted people to the fact I want a cookie jar with fairies on it. Hans is still not too happy with the idea. In fact he started to sing "Who stole Kris from the cookie jar?" to me. But considering he said he was just planning on carrying me around in a paperbag, I dont know why the cookie jar bothered him so much...perhaps he was just being cheap. smile

It is only for the service and to transport me to the ocean for a good sprinkling. There is so much to think about. I have also decided I need to be dumped in deep water since I cringe at the thought of some kid picking up a piece of my bone fragments and thinking they have a piece of sharks tooth or coral.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

I don't even know how to respond to this, Kris.  I found myself laughing out loud at your post, because you are ridiculously funny!  (and Hans for his "who stole Kris from the cookie jar?" comment)  At the same time, I refuse to consider this being necessary. 

You are amazing, approaching everything with the buckets of sunshine in your soul.  You are an inspiration to me.  I love the cookie jar idea, and tell Hans to stop being cheap.  smile

30-something caregiver

At first I hesistated looking at these post, but what a hoot. Both of my parents have pre-paid cremation plans but haven't decided on an urn.  I always thought that a cuban cigar box would be appropriate since my father has, not since he has gotten ill, been a cigar smoker.  He actually liked the idea but thought that a Dominican cigar box is good enough.

Thanks for the lighter look.

Kris,
Love the Cookie Jar! I noticed that they have great Tinkerbell cookie jars on ebay. My husband, Andy, asked that part of his ashes be spread on the tennis court.  His best friend and I are waiting for a little bit warmer weather in the next couple of weeks and then we are sneaking out to Andy's favorite court.LOL  He also said he would like part of his ashes to stay at home on the shelves with all of our babies (11 urns - doggies and kitties) if it wouldn't "freak me out".  I told him it would give me great comfort to have him at home and it really has.  I don't think I could bear not to have a little bit of him here with me.  Andy died the end of December and I have not yet been able to post that until just now.  Your cookie jar makes me smile!! Tell Hans he may want to keep the cookie jar with a few cookies and a bit of you.  I am betting though that for a long time to come, you and Hans are just going to need the jar for cookies.

Hugs,

Jan

Jan,

I am so sorry  to hear that Andy passed away.  I too am comforted by having part of Jim here with me.  My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.