Topic: Gas pains and bloating!

I had Whipple Surgery on 11-9-05 and after three different forms of Chemo and Radiation I am now cancer free according to my Cat Scans and Blood Work.  I have to take Digestive Enzymes with every meal now in order to properly digest my food.  I have a problem with gas pockets just below my rib cage which are rather intense at times!  I have tried various types of over the counter gas reducing products but they do not entirely stop the problem .  If anyone has had similar problems like this I would appreciate any suggestions on the subject.  I have recently had an operation to repair an incisional hernia which occured after my whipple.  I had a large piece of mesh screen which was placed across my stomach to help support my midsection.  Thanks for any input that you may have on this matter.  John.

Re: Gas pains and bloating!

Hi John,
Congratulations on being cancer free.  My mom had surgery in November 2006.  She has had a lot of problems with gas pains and discomfort.  The dr. told her that any time that they do anything with your stomach and so on it is very common.  I wish that I had better advice for you, just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone.
Mom has a hernia.  The dr. wants to give her a little more time to recover from the other surgery before they do anything.  I am curious if you can tell me some about what they did when you had your hernia surgery.  Hers is about 6 inches.  The surgeon wasn't at all concerned about it.  Sounds like it is very common.  We would just like to know what to be prepared for.
Congratulations again.
Amy

John.... Great news on cancer free.  Lets keep it that way!  I had liver and gallbladder resection and hernia folloed..  A lot of gas a bloating.  I was prescribed prevacid 20mg to take 30 minutes prior to breakfast each day as to much stomach acid will cause these symptoms.  Maybe try lowering your digested enzymes a little bit.  See what your doctor says. Best to you!
Jeff G.

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

prilosec

becky
blessed are those that are cracked,
for they let in the light!