Topic: Haven't posted in a while..

I haven't posted in a while, and thought I would do a quick update on Dad.  He had been in the hospital for a week or so just over a month ago when he needed to have his stent replaced after his bili levels skyrocketed to over 400.  Although the stent caused him a good deal of discomfort for quite some time, he is doing much better. 

2 weeks after leaving the hospital, we (parents and siblings) went to Newfoundland where Dad was born for the first time as a family.  It was a wonderful trip, and Dad loved seeing us reconnect with his family.  I think he really needed that, and it's left him feeling very good about our future relationship with them.  He also felt quite good during the trip (probably due to the fact that because of his high levels, he hadn't had chemo in 5 weeks).  He had more energy then he's had since being diagnosed.  He paid for it a bit when he got home, but we all believe it was worth it.

Right now he's back on his chemo regime, so spending a lot of time sleeping again.  When he's not asleep, he sort of obsesses over things... I'm not sure if this is common or not, but he'll get something in his mind and WILL NOT let it go until he's done something about it.  The latest was buying a gift for mine and my sisters in-laws.  I think he felt the need to get them something as a good-bye, but also sort of as a thank you for watching over us... the gifts he chose are incredibly beautiful and well thought out, and are sure to bring out strong emotions in everyone... they certainly did for me.

Anyway, things are okay... I'm sad because my daughter is 10 months old today which means 2 months from now I will be back at work wishing I was at home with Katelyn, and able to spend time with Dad whenever I want to.... it will be a hard adjustment for me. 

I hope everyone is doing well, and read your posts daily - just haven't taken the time to post for myself.  Think of you all daily.

Jen

Re: Haven't posted in a while..

Hi Jen.....it is great hearing from you.  Sounds like you had a fantastic trip.  It must have done wonders for your Dad to be able to visit with his family in Newfoundland. And, what pleasure it must have given him to present you and your sisters-in laws with a gift.  How kind, thoughtful and caring of him.  I bet he gave much thought to it. Two more months of maternity leave...well, 60 more days...it sounds like a good amount of time.  Enjoy and keep sending the good news.
Best wishes are coming your way,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Jen, and glad to hear about the "family" trip. We are doing that the end of July. Teddy is doing much the same things as your dad. Everyday he goes through more things deciding what is to go to whom. One would think it would be quite sad, but it's not, really. He is treating it like serious business. Between us we have 26 kids & Grandkids and each one now has their own packet which he will start giving out when we go to Milwaukee. He asked me what I would like to have and I said, " I have Memories!". It is just amazing how things are proceeding here as normal and I think that is good for us all. Enjoy your next 2 months with Katelyn and somehow things will take care of themselves and you will be fine.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Hi Jennifer,

After reading your previous posts my Dad is currently in hospital after having a stent fitted.  They also fitted a external drain which they capped off after a day, unfortunatly Dad has got an infection and they have had to put the drain back on.  If you don't mind me asking has your Dad still got his external drain?  If not how long did he have it on for and how long did the stent take to work?  My Dads bilirubin is high like your Dads was and we need to get it to 50 for chemo.

Hope you and your family are all ok. I can understand you not wanting to go back to work after being on Maternity leave, but from my experience it makes the time spent with your child much more precious and I found I also had more patience!!  As for not being with your Dad, I work 3 days per week and those days sometimes offer me a bit of relief as my mind is elsewhere, even if its work. 

Best wishes

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Hi Andie,
Dad still has the external drain, and it's still open.  His biliruben levels are down enough for chemo (I think a few weeks ago they were around the 40 mark), and he drains probably close to 1000cc out of the external drain alone every day... seems that more comes out when he is doing chemo.  He was actually more comfortable having the external.  He has had one since diagnosis and I think actually seeing the bile somehow makes him feel better.

He has a scan on July 14th, and unfortunately is not feeling very positive about it.  He is having a lot more pain in his stomach and sides, and "new" pain, so I'm afraid of what the scan will show... I guess there's nothing to do but face it and deal with whatever the results show. 

Yes, going back to work is definitely something I am not looking forward to, but I can see your point about time being more precious... I've learned a lot about that in the last 6 months with Dad!! 

I hope you Dad's infection clears up quickly and he can start chemo... this cancer seems to have a way of messing with plans, but I hope things get back on track right away for you all!

Please keep us updated!!

Jen

Hi Jen,

First of all I'd like to wish your Dad all the best for his Scan tomorrow.  I will be keeping everything crossed for you.

Dad is still in hospital.  He has been and had some dye put in his stents to see if it's working and it is.  They have sent his blood samples and bile sample to be cultured to see what is causing the infection.  The have started him on stronger antibiotics which seem to be working but he is suffering with bad constipation and trapped wind so this is making him feel really unwell.  They are hoping to cap his drain off again today and then take some blood to test the bilirubin, it was 300 on the last results.

I don't think he will be starting his chemo the end of the month now as I don't think it gives enough time for the bilirubin to fall.

Best wishes and again good luck for tomorrow

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Thanks Andie - I am thinking of you and your Dad as well... I hope the new antibiotics continue to work and that number starts to drop for him!  It's awful that they feel so unwell, and such a difficult thing to have to watch our parents go through... hopefully it won't last much longer for your Dad and he gets some relief soon!  I will update with Dad's results once we get them (which probably won't be until next week).....

Good Luck with the scan today, Jen.  I hope you get some good news.

Julia

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Hi Jen,

I hope that your dads scan goes well today, I will keep my fingers crossed for the best possible news.

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.