Topic: Need Some Questions Answered

Hi all.  My 83 year old Aunt was diagnosed with this disease approximately 6 months ago.  She lives out of town so information we are getting has been somewhat inaccurate.  They were not able to do any treatment for her but had mentioned the Whipple Procedure but said she would not make it through the surgery.  So basically she has had no treatment.  She has lost a lot of weight (down to 78 lbs), has a large growth on her side and is really frail.  This site has been very informative for me and has answered several questions.  I was wondering, however, if anyone can tell me why or if it could be associated with this disease, does she have excessive itching and what could that possibly mean.  Thanks in advance for any information.

Re: Need Some Questions Answered

Hi there,

Welcome to the site although I am sorry that you had to find us. Does your Aunt have the itching right now and has she had this for a while? My dad had this itching and this was one of the symptoms of his jaundice. Has your Aunt been checked for this? Has your Aunt had a stent inserted into her bile duct? If you can give us more information about your Aunt then this would help us.

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Thank you Gavin.  Yes she has the itching now and has had it for about 3 to 4 weeks.  She went to the doctor and he said it may be dry skin but since then has checked her numbers via bloodwork and told her this could be the start of things shutting off and I don't know what he means by that.  As I stated previously I am out of town and those caring for her do not have a lot of medical knowledge or understand what all this means nor do they ask.  Makes me crazy.  She has not had a stent nor any other tretment at all for that matter.  About three months ago she was admitted to the hospital and we went there and was told by the doctor that we should call in hospice and gave her two days, two weeks or two months.  I'm so confused.  Could this possibly mean that the bile ducts are getting shut off.  I know it would be just your opinion but any info is deeply appreciated.

Hello and welcome.  I was diagnosed with cc in Oct 09. I had 2 symptoms 1 was jaundice the second was pruitis which is itching it was horrible my Dr. told me it was from bile that was not being filtered because of the tumor in my bile duct. I did receive relief from having a stent placed.  No amount of anti itch lotion gave me total relief.  There was 1 lotion called Sarna that did seem to help a little bit.  Has your Aunt had any blood work ? Best of luck to you.

Nancy

Hi My3sons,

Does your Aunt have any yellowing of her eyes? If so then this is another symptom of jaundice and this needs to be looked at by a doctor now in my opinion. Perhaps those caring for your Aunt could take her to the ER and see if they can do anything to help with this? I find it hard to understand why nothing at all has been done to help your Aunt here. Where was your Aunt diagnosed? Have you spoken with hospice yet?

I know all of this is hard to deal with, and as you say, it is confusing. But you are doing the right thing in reaching out here and seeking information. Please keep coming back here and let us know what is going on with your Aunt. And please, feel free to ask us any and all questions that you have and we will all do what we can to help you. I was my dads carer during his battle with CC and I do know what you are going through.

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi my3sons,

One thing I forgot to ask. When was the last time your aunt had a CT scan and is she due to have another one anytime soon?

Best wishes,

Gavin

Dear My3Sons. My husband had a Whipple at the age of 73 and it is a major, major surgery. Before the surgery he had itching and jaundice. We discovered Sarna Cream (Walgreens/CVS) and it worked beautifully, I have posted that here often. The other thing that helped was ice bags. Like Gavin says, it could be a matter of the bile duct getting blocked and that would only require a stent to help the bile flow and make her more comfortable.  It must be extremely frustrating to not be there and to know things are not getting done. Hope she gets some relief and you as well! We don't like to see loved ones suffer especially when we feel something could be done. One suggestion more, can you call and talk to her doctor?

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

My3sons....I would like to echo what has been said above in that your Aunt's itching has to be addressed asap.  To answer your question as to why this is happening, it might very well be related to cholestasis, a condition where the flow of bile to the duodenum is disrupted.  It will not get better and can cause your Aunt to suffer.  Please, make sure to pass this on those caring for your Aunt.
It always is difficult to help when the distances does not allow us to be close however, you are doing the right thing by reaching out and searching for  information.
Best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER