Topic: Giant Mosquitoes

The late rains this year must have produced the largest ones I have every encountered.  Any ideas as to enjoy the evening with these pests?  It occured to me: Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Giant Mosquitoes

Mmmm   We don't really have Mosquitoes in Phoenix but we have lots of HEAT!
How about those new things that you put on a belt? Can't remember the name but they have been advertising them on TV. Check at Home Depot. Glad we don't have them, but then again, too hot to sit outside. We will have them in Milwaukee!! Along with high humidity.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

You could always hang a bat house and hope that they come and gobble them up! I love bats.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Lainy....I will check into the belt thing.  Kris, there are bats around our house also however, they must be stuffed due to the high food supply.  Bats really are quite cute however, they are not cute enough to be flying around me.  But at least they don't nibble on you. 
Thanks to both of you,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I usually click "Show recent posts" when visiting the boards. How nice to see an off-topic question!

We have an an enormous supply of mosquitos in our area.  One thing we've found that helps is airflow.  We bring out my husband's garage fan to the deck and turn it to oscillate.  The breeze is usually enough to keep them away from us, as long as we're within 5 or 6 feet of the fan.

Also, eliminating standing water, their breeding ground. Not just obvious places like buckets or poor drainage areas in your yard.  They can breed in clogged gutters, the saucers under potted plants, standing water under a crawl space, tarps, even in the kids' toys strewn about the yard. As long as you can empty the standing water (like in pot saucers) about twice a week, the baby bloodsuckers won't have a chance to hatch.

Kim

~Kim
my mother lost her 16 month battle with CC 9/26/10
"Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined."

6 (edited by Cherbourg Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:06:03)

I can attest to the effectiveness of the belt thing.  I attach it and go around the yard and anywhere else with NO BITES!  It's a miracle!  It has a small fan in it and works like a charm!

Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Thanks Kimmie and Pam:  I will purchase a fan and the belt thing.  I wanted to stay away from the body spray.  Here we have these wonderful summer evenings and are forced to stay indoors due to these pests.  I do have two fountains on the property however, I make sure to turn them on. Plus, I add bleach.  Off to the store I go.
Thanks again,
Marion

We don't have mosquito's here in Scotland, nor do we really have the heat! But we do have the dreaded Midges, pronounced Midgees here in Scotland, especially so in the Highlands and in the West Coast. Most annoying they are when they attack you, especially as they do it with vast numbers!

http://www.walkinginscotland.org/midges.html

http://www.lochnesscottages.co.uk/midges-ticks.htm

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Gavin,

Aaahhh, Scotland - it's our dream to travel there one day, midges and all.  My husband and I were looking into it about 13 years ago, then what do you know - I found out I was pregnant.  Three pregnancies and two children later, still haven't had the time (or money) to make it over there.

My husband's family is certain they have Scottish heritage - the Shaw Clan.  This is based on family oral history since we've been unable to "officially" prove it with any sort of census data, immigration records, etc.  Believe me, I've been trying for over 3 years with genealogy research! 

Regardless, he and the family have been very involved in the local Scottish Festival in Annapolis over the years.  My husband even has a kilt, which I love!  If we could just talk my father-in-law into taking the DNA test, there's a large database of Shaw DNA info to cross-reference and prove once and for all.  Until then, we go on faith!

Sorry, off topic...

Kim

~Kim
"Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined."

Gavin,

Your post was absolutely wonderful!  It did bring to mind taking long walks on the Highlands.  My fathers family was from the Yorkshire, England area and I have proven Irish genealogy as well, but I have not found any Scottish descent as of yet! 

Your midges sound very much like our mosquitos, but not as bothersome.  Our mosquitos would leave quite a welt on you if you are bitten without slapping them away or using some kind of repellent.  The midges sound more like biting gnats, which still can be a nuisance.  I would love the chance to be able to say "I survived the midges".  Some day.  I have relatives in England, so maybe one day I'll get over there.  I love the history of an older country and the legends that come with it.

Marion, thanks so much for this post.  It was a nice breath of fresh air (hopefully without those mosquitos!)  In the midwest, at least we have a break from them when the weather turns colder, but then that's another story (snow). 

Take care all and try not to get bit.

Linda

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

I believe we have gnats also.  Something else Noah did not swat. 

While I am at it:  Deer.  Babies, Mommies and Bucks; all consider my yard to be the great dining room. 
As soon as California becomes the Golden State (the hills turn brown) deer look for food.  Additionally, much of the open land has been planted with grapes allowing even less room for grazing.  So, they flog to my yard. (Well, my neighbors complain also, but not as much as I do.)  And, deer change their diet according to need.  Never before had the attacked the 'Agapanthus.  They devour the blooms only leaving large, empty stems as a stark reminder of flowers once had.  They also have the audacity of chomping on a piece of fruit and spitting out the rest.  My yard is scattered with half eaten apples, pears and plums. Why don

A mountain lion?!!  Gosh.
Here in Yorkshire our biggest complaint is the rain (which is fairly mild, never much more then drizzle), and slugs and snails in the garden.
Driving over to the lake district last week my partner said 'we don't really excel in anything here do we?'.  Such a British thing to say.
At his parents house in france they suffer with flies - they use an 'executioner' which is like an electrified tennis racket.  I find it really macabre, but the men seem to love it.

Here in Ohio we have deer, mosquitos, coyotes, black bear are moving in , flies, snails, slugs. high humidity, either too much rain or not enough... my kids always ask ,"why do we live here?" But I really do love it here from April through Oct., then I would really like to follow my favorite bird, the barn swallow, to Costa Rica for the winter. We are in the country too Marion and the deer, for the first time in 20 years have discovered our pumpkins. They eat one bite out of the biggest ones then move on. We used the stinky repellent last year too. It did work. We have lots of bats during the night eating skeeters and the barn swallows eat them all day so we are always in good shape 'til the swallows leave in Sept. Then we notice a big difference.

Hey, guys and gals, we have a moutnain lion that has been roaming the area for a month now.They can't find it, except that it has been seen.  Then, about 3 weeks ago a baby bear was found in our division sleeping on someones back patio! Coyote roam like dogs and we also have Javelinas. I keep saying they have  a right to be here, we took their domain over. Just please don't be here when I am outside!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

You know it has never crossed my mind before, that if Noah had left all those nasty-bitey-things behind when the Ark set sail, I wouldn't suffer as I do every year.  I was viciously attacked in my sleep last night & the bites are starting to go septic (as they always do with me sad); I swear I was set upon by a veritable HOARD of nasty-bitey-things with tiny little bodies, tiny, tiny little wings ... & absolutely ENORMOUS teeth ... big_smile

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Missouri is quite similiar to Ohio weather and outdoor creatures.  I love all four seasons, here in Missouri.  I love the outdoors and will do everything in my power to be out there.  We do alot of outdoor activities. Camping and backpacking in the national forest,  canoe the beauitful clear streams, bike ride and hike the many trails.  Missouri is a great place to explore.  So, I must be prepared for the pest.
At home on the back deck, back patio and front porch, I have Citronilla, Lavender, and Marigolds plants in containers.  They all repel mosquites, and smell wonderful.  These plants help alot.  Using a fan, always help.  When we are exploring the outdoors, I can't bring my plants.  I cannot use the bug repellent with deet in it.  My skin turns red and I look like a lobster.  I found a bug repellant that has 'picardin' in it, which works like deet.  Now I only use this stuff, if the mosquites are really bad.  What I use normally is a body wash and lotion with lavender in it.  Like the baby brand. Smells alot better than the bug repellants and the mosquitoes leave me alone.  There is a biodegradable soap I use when we are camping, that has the lavender in it, as well as citronilla and eucalyptus.  This stuff is great.  I tried to get my husband to use it, but noooo, because of the lavender, he wouldln't use it.  Can't imagine why, it's not that strong of a smell.  So, I found another bidegradable soap, that helps with mosquites and husbands sensibilities.  This soap has peppermint in it and is also a bug repellant.  My husband is a happy camper again.  He hates mosquites.  He looks like a budda, when we are sitting outside or camping.  He has this ring of citronilla candles surrounding him.  Who needs a campfire in the woods, when you can see my budda man a mile away.  We will never be in the dark.   Outside the house, we also have a Martin bird house.  Martin birds love mosquitoes too.   I know there are some plants as well as the liquid pest control for deer.  I believe in the long run, the liquid works the best for deer.
We have all kinds of funs creatures we share the great outdoors with.  Black beers have been brought back to the Midwest - Ozark region.  I seen one and have heard them on several occassion in the middle of the night camping.  They only have gotten close enough to smell around for while.  We don't leave any food or coolers out at night.  Plus we have a dog, the bear probably smells too.  No encounters with a bear so far.  My Son saw a mountain lion, close to the St. Louis area, while hiking on a trail.  So, they are around too.  Hear coyotes often at home and when we are camping.
One of my favorite bug is the 'firefly', lightening bugs.  They are so cool, I could watch them all night long.  I understand that, Ireland, England and Scotland, does not have fireflies.  It is because of not having humidity.  We have humidity, therefore fireflies.  Well, that's all I know for now.  Great subject, Marions.  Thanks!

Christine

Kimmie, Linda,

You would both love Scotland, midges and all! Of course if you came in the winter then you wouldn't have to deal with them at that time! Some of our scenery here is amazing and if you like history then there are loads of historical sights to see and visit. I wore a kilt once to a friends wedding where I was the best man, it was the only time I've worn one and it was most enjoyable.

Marion, Marylloyd and Lainy,

Wow! Coyotes, deer, bears and lions!!! Sounds like you all live in zoos!! I was through in Edinburgh zoo a few weeks ago and that is as close as we get to wild animals like that! Although we do have lots of deer here up north, an awful lot of them!

Julia,

Ouch! I'm sure they really did have enormous teeth, and there were hoards of them!!!!

Best wishes all,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

This is wonderful hearing about all the different areas you live in. 

I do remember Avon's Skin-so-Soft.  It seemed that more people actually used it for mosquito control than for the bath oil that it was.  I thought they came out with a repellent a while ago too because of the success of the Skin-so-Soft. 

Katja, I thought the Lake District was supposed to be quite beautiful.  What do you mean you "don't excel" in anything!  Also the "executioner" sounds like playing badmitton with flies instead of "birdies". 

I've used the stinky spray for the deer.  The smell dissipates after a short time, but the effects are supposed to last for quite a while.  I made the mistake of using it on a windy day one time.  My windows were open and it filled the house with that nasty odor.  The next day, I hardly noticed it outside, but my hosta plants and other flowers were left alone (so far).  Time to re-spray I'm afraid though.

Gavin, bringing up the kilt reminded me of the movie Braveheart.  Not something I am proud of historically for the British (having quite a lot of British descent myself), but such a scenic movie.  Don't know if it was actually filmed in Scottland, but I thought it was.  I collected castles for quite a number of years too (haven't in a while though), so I loved seeing the scenery.

Thanks all for sharing.  This was terrific.

Linda

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Disclaimer (Gavin!):I'm talking about England here and not the UK...

I think that started from me saying something about how beautiful it was and incredible the Lake District is.  He pointed that the highest mountain in England is not even 1000m, the largest lake, windermere, is only 11 miles long and the lake district is really small on a world scale.  We spent a happy few minutes trying to think of something that we have that's mindblowing - all our wildlife is on a similarly mediocre scale...!

A mountain lion would be incredible - even our deer are shy and seeing one is like a real event.  In France we encountered a hornet's nest - not something I'm keen on repeating, although no one got stung.

I love this thread!

I love the wonderful information given.  What a great group of people you are. 
I remember my mother visiting from Germany and her astonishment of the multitude of wild life in this area. 
She especially loved the raccoons and would watch them eat the cat food.  How lovely. Problem is, they multiply and bring the entire family for dinner.  And, they can be quite vicious.  Once they tried to attack the dog.  (She was protecting her meal.)
Coyotes are abundant here.  One seemed to befriend our Labrador.  How cute is that? That is understandable; she is a wonderful dog.   Well, we were told that coyotes stalk the prey and then call the others to attack.  Not so cute anymore; hence the reason for the dog to stay inside at nights. 
Mountain lions rarely attack humans, but they go after life stock or even after dogs.  If you should ever encounter a mountain lion the number one rule is to "make yourself appear big."  Good advise however, I know that I would prefer to shrink into nothing should it ever happen to me. 
Oh, and then there are the skunks.  They are nocturnal and really cute to look at however; watch for the tail.  If it goes up you are in for quite an experience.  It took 4 large cans of tomato juice to wash of the smell of our dog.
Possums:  I believe they are instinctively suicidal.  They love to run under your car tires and get smashed leaving you with a horrible feeling of guilt and remorse for driving the car in the first place. 
One of my neighbors is a bird watcher.  She counted 400 different species of birds.  This is quite spectacular however, I swear that most of them nest under the eves of my house, which happens to be on the market and demands to be in pristine condition for the showings.  Cute when the hatchlings first try to fly at times, straight into the window.  Not so cute when you have to wash of bird droppings several times per week. 
Gophers:  why do the dig up the dirt in the most pristine portion of the property, the lawn?  And, how come they don

Amazing the way all these varied animals love the cat biscuits.We have a few animals here,possums ,wallabies,flying foxes and once I saw an echidna walk through the back yard,that was exciting.We have snakes too ,all kinds but the big pythons are lovely to look at.We also have  some great lizards in the backyard,blue tongues and dragon lizards.Fabulous birds!  ....kookaburras,cockatoos,king parrots and down at the beach,dolphins,fairy penguins,seals   but we do suffer with the mozzies in summer too!                                                 Janet

Hi Marion. I just read that rule last week about Mountain Lions. Make yourself to appear big. My first thought was now, how are Teddy & I going to do that????

Marion,

The theory of making yourself look big to a lion is sort of like the same advice I heard if you happen to be charged at by a rhino. I saw a program where the guy said to just stand still as rhino's are pretty blind and they should just charge right past you.... Not a theory I would like to put to the test having just seen 2 rhinos pretty close up at the zoo a few weeks ago! They only weighed about 2.5 tonnes each!

So if anyone happens to get charged by a rhino.... stand your ground! And good luck with that!

Linda, I think a lot of Braveheart was filmed in Ireland due to tax reasons given by the Irish Govt. Which was a shame as we have some of the most spectacular scenery in the world here. If you were to fly into Edinburgh airport and drive north for only 10 minutes or so then you would see the start of this and it only gets better the further north you go. Plus the areas of the Highlands and the West Coast are very sparcely populated and you could go for miles and not see any houses at all.

And they don't have rattle snakes to deal with up there!

Best wishes all,

Gavin

We live about 2 minutes off a main highway, 5 miles from the Maryland State House, and 25 miles from Washington DC.  Yet daily we see dozens of white tail deer, squirrels galore, a family of red foxes, dozens of species of song birds (the pileated woodpeckers and little yellow finches are my favorite), hawks, ospreys, the occasional bald eagle, snakes (the garden variety), and these cute little black and blue lizards.  At night the possum and racoons come out, the latter being very brazen and seemingly undeterred by human presence.  The bugs aren't my favorite, especially the Japanese Beetles that deflowered my tomato plants this year.  But like Christine, I love to watch the fireflies at night.  It's like a fireworks display right in my own back yard.   Not to mention being 5 minutes off the Chesapeake Bay and the abundant life there.

Although we live in an old, established, wooded community with properties of 1/2 to 1 acre, I love that we see all this wildlife.  Especially considering how close we are to major metropolitan areas.  My husband and I always talk about how lucky we are, and how sad it is that some neighbors complain about the wildlife.  They aren't dangerous to humans!  Although the deer are dangerous to my hostas...

~Kim