Re: Giant Mosquitoes

Ohio has some of the most abundant deer populations in the country. We have hunters coming from all over wanting permission to hunt. We allow family and a few friends but I always wanted to limit the amount of hunting done to give the deer a safe haven. I'm getting over that. The past few nights they've been eating our sweet corn, which we sell. Last year the pumpkins. I can't really spray the corn with nasty stuff so I'm going to tie our dog out tonight in the patch that is ready now and see if she keeps them at bay. We have an old van that she loves to ride in so we'll park it in the field and tie her to it. I actually am grateful for the coyotes. They tend to eat fawns( I know that sounds mean) but we have way too many deer. Last winter when we went to town one time (after all the snow melted)I counted 20 dead deer along a 15 mile stretch of road. My husband was brushhogging our pastures last week and he saw a doe with triplets. They usually do have twins. They are very well fed here with all of the farm fields to munch on.
My mother had her great aunt from Bristol, England come to visit years ago when we first moved to Ohio. The first night she was sitting by the big picture window as darkness fell and she let out a big gasp. "What in the world are all of those little lights?" We all laughed. She had never seen fireflies before.
By the way, Tom had his prostate seeding done last Thurs. He is doing well. It was a little rough the first few times he went to the bathroom. He didn't scream but he wanted to. If all cancer treatments were this easy it would be great.
Also on a sad note, I hate to bring it up, this is such a fun thread but I lost my sister-in-law last Weds. She was treated for breast cancer and the chemo gave her leukemia. She fought for 10 months and I honestly have never seen anyone endure what she did. She was tough beyond belief. My brother said she was just stubborn. She was that too. She was 53. I lost another sister-in-law 2 years ago to cancer, and of course there's Tom. Out of 4 kids we aren't doing so well re: the health of our spouses.

Mary.....My mother had commented on the current overpopulation of wild animals and had reminded me of years ago, when foresters kept the population in check. (A sensitive way of phrasing it.) 
My husband fondly recalled the summer nights on the East Coast with the spectacular fireflies.  Rarely do we encounter them on the West Coast. 
Good to hear that Tom's seeding has taken place.  My friend underwent the very same procedure and has no regrets doing so.  BTW, I believe that Tom will set off the security alarms at the airport.  That is should you consider leaving town and allowing the deer to munch away at your crop. 
I am so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law.  My heart is with you and your family.  Mary, according to a presenter at ASCO, one family out of two will encounter cancer in their family.  Although, research is accelerating; it is not moving fast enough. 
Stay well,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

28 (edited by marions Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:55:41)

I have learned to much on this thread:   I assume for thin people to stand the greatest chance of surviving a charging Rhino.  Janet lives in a jungle and has taught me a new word: mozzies,  Katja explaining her non-descript environment only, to correct it by distinguishing the UK from England.  Ha, ha. Lainy referring to her and Teddy's lack of hight.  I never realized that, Both of you appeared to be quite tall.  Linda revealing her love for Scotland her love for the movie Braveheart,.  Christine pointing out the correlation of humidity and fireflies, Julia is going septic due to mosquito bites, Kimmie finds deer to be dangerous to her hostas,  Katja pointing out  the executioner, "an electrified tennis racket."  Pam loving her little fan attached by a belt, and who would have ever thought:  Kris loves bats. 

Our family will have much to talk about at dinner.
Best to all,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER