Topic: Oprah?

I had a great thought last evening.  I generally tape the Oprah show and this is her last season....so I put my thinking cap on and thought "Wouldn't it be a great idea to contact Oprah and see if she would do a show regarding Cholangiocarcinoma?"

So I located her web site (Oprah.com) and send in a suggestion to her about Cholangiocarcinoma and mentioned this web site, my husband Tom's 2 and 3/4 year battle with this rare form of liver cancer and asked if she would be willing to do a show about Cholangiocarcinoma and get some exposure out there for the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation, this site, and all patients who have this cancer.

I told her that there are not a lot of doctors who have ever came across this cancer in their careers and that there is no research (or not much) being done for this cancer and we would like to educate the public and the medical profession and hopefully prompt someone to take an interest in this cancer.  And, I even offered to appear on her show (if she does one)...

IF she agrees to do such a show for her final season...I will keep you posted AND if necessary we may be looking for others who would be willing to appear on the Oprah show in Chicago!

Go with God and KEEP KICKIN' THAT cancer.

Margaret

Re: Oprah?

Oh, gosh, Margaret, I hope you fare better than I did. About 4 years ago I collected 35 letters from patients and Care Givers. I sent them to OPRAH 2 times registered delivery with my cover letter. Never heard a word. Also sent to Ellen DeGeneres and Fox news and to the Walter Peyton Foundation. All deaf ears.  Good luck.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Some of us have blogs that have chronicled our loved ones fights ...I bet if they read those...they would change their minds.

Lainy, I remember you telling us about that.  It annoys me that it seems to be who you know, not what you know.  Reckon 350 letters would help?  Goodluck Margaret it's a brilliant idea.  My family has been touched twice by cc (unrelated). Any publicity is so welcome.
Happy to help if we can,
Kate

Great idea Margaret! I'd sure add my two cents to any effort if it helps get some traction and helps to get our story told.

Grace and Peace to all,
bob

It is really a great idea Margaret, and I hope that her "team' listens a little more this time.  Maybe since it's her last season.  Keep us posted.  I'm in the Chicago area too and would be will to join in.

Linda

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Good onya Margaret,

One thing that being involved with cc has taught me is that you shouldn't give up on anything that brings hope.  Lainy didn't have success four years ago, but maybe this time someone different will read your letter.

I'm a bit far away from Chicago, but I'll do whatever I can just let me know - gawd, I'd even wear pink!

This cancer needs to have it's profile lifted.  How many GPs are seeing people with elevated liver enzymes and just watching them to see if it gets better rather than screening them for cc?
How may lives could be saved if doctors were more aware of any early symptoms?

We have to try.

We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails. - Author Unknown

My roommate from college works at Harpo... I will pass the cc topic on to her.  Let you know her thoughts.  Her Mom is currently in the hospital, so it might be a bit before I get an answer.

I've been thinking that once I'm past this raw grief (my mom just died on 9/26) that I want to do SOMETHING to either raise awareness or raise money for CC.

I just did a Google search on "liver cancer star" to see what famous people may have suffered from CC.  I don't know who watched "The Sopranos" but the woman that played Ginny Sack just died 10/31 from liver cancer. http://celebritydiagnosis.com/sopranos- … ncer-5956/

~Kim
my mother lost her 16 month battle with CC 9/26/10
"Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined."

What a great idea to look under that. Not sure but I don't think all liver cancer is CC.   I just looked up Celebrity Diagnosis CC. Found one, Jim Mandrich Miami Dolphins Radio Broadcaster. Close as it comes. Good idea though.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

I believe I heard that Walter Peyton died of "bile duct cancer". He was certainly a big name to football fans.

bob

I thought Walter Payton died of Bile Duct Cancer too.  I met him once a long time ago.  I'm a secretary at a police dept and he owned a restaurant in the town and needed to be fingerprinted for the state liquor license requirements along with a Cleveland Browns player that he co-owned it with.

Well, needless to say, word got around the dept and Village Hall that he would be coming in and a lot of people bought his posters and asked him to sign them and pose for pictures.  He was SO gracious and accommodating to all of us.  Probably just why he was nicknamed "Sweetness".  He was really nice.  I still have a picture of him and me that's really nice.  I look almost like a kid it was so long ago.

Linda

Hi Linda, yes, Walter Payton had CC. His family established a Foundation for Cancer and I think a Medical Clinic. But, it does not treat CC. I had written the Foundation a letter when I wrote to Oprah. No luck.

Thirdone: 

So far, nothing on this end from Harpo but it would be a great subject matter - whatever you can do would be awesome.  I sent the request back on Oct. 15th and so far have heard nothing.

Margaret

Lainy,

Thanks for the info.  Doesn't it seem odd that his medical clinic does not treat CC?  I can understand it being a cancer clinic, but I would think they would also include treating the disease that took Walter from them.

Linda