Topic: Possible symptoms?

My dad was diagnosed with CC in October '06 and he's now having symptoms of freezing cold to the point that his skin is like ice, violent vomitting, high fevers that do break after a while, and irregular heart ryhthms. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Re: Possible symptoms?

bmfriend3... I had similar symptoms about three years ago while on chemo regimen with carboplatinum in it.  If Your Dad is currently taking chemo these could certainly be side effects.  He should be letting his oncologist know and look at possible reduction in strength and /or getting appropriate side effect meds reviewed.  Thats about all I can think of at the moment.  But don't try riding it out as it could be symptoms of something more serious such as infection.  Also I forgot to mention yes chemo will cause heart irregarlarities as well.  I had to have a treadmill heart stress test and ect. to ensure my heart was just fine.  It was the chemo causing delays of nerve signals messing with the regular beating of my heart.  Hope it gets this under control soon especially any pain associated with nausea.  God Bless.
Jeff G.

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

Jeff G.
My dad's chosen not to have any treatments. We're trying to boost his immune system through diet, and he's now at home so he can spend a lot of time with his grandkids. He's been feeling fine the last 2 days. I changed his doctor's appointment and he's refusing to go because he feels fine. I'm a nurse and I understand the problems with waiting and I'm going to keep trying to get him to go but it's very hard. Sometimes I wander if he fully understands about the complications of waiting. Then there's other times when he knows more than the rest of the family.

My husband had fevers with violent chills that followed.  i would reach to touch him in his sleep and he would be soaking wet and cold to the touch.  Very difficult to watch, but his upcoming surgery prevented aspirin use...and we had to be careful with Tylenol because of his liver condition.  No arrythmias...but plenty of nausea. 
My best to you and your family...this is one tough ride...Holding you close as your journey continues.
Mrs CG

I was just trying to figure out what the symptoms are of bile duct cancer? My husband stays sick all the time, he has been parapalegic now for 13 years.Hes had a battle thru all of this after getting hurt in a wreck leaving him paralized.Hes been in the hospital now for the last month and now hes back home still vomitting and freezing, i have no idea whats wrong with him!He asked me to help him figure out whats wrong since the Doctors arent(which is something that has happened alot these last 13 years) sad but true.I just need to know does anyone think since he throws up bile all the time and his gallbladder is gone, if it could possible be a sign of this bile duct cancer?I sure hope not but trying my best to help him...Thanx

6 (edited by JeffG Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:53:28)

Lady4....  I am certainly not an expert but I have taken care of physically disabled individuals for years.  The last guy was quadrapalegic and had symtoms like you mentioned and it turned out to be kidney stones. He would shiver and then spike a temp and vomit.  Also he had on going problems of his bowels compacting. Once they got the stones shattered and passed and put him on colace a stool softener and antibiotics to get rid of bacterial infection he he was him self again.  The doctor's should be scanning his bowels and kidneys in my non-doctor opinion to start with.  Even if he is having bowel movements if he is going to long between movements that could be causinf some symtoms you mentioned.  I'm saying this under the impression that he is wheel chair bound/sitting most of the time. I would certainly be rattling some cages with the doctors. I would also contact your states disabled persons advocates office for possible discriminatory treatment.  I have personal seen it happen.  Get a referral to a gastro or onco doctor.
Jeff G.

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

Is It a common symptom to have nausea all the time? Dad is hardly eating anything at all, and complains of nausea. Today all he had to eat was a snack sized jello. He is sleeping way to much, and therefore obviously not drinking alot either. I am worried about dehydration. Any help wuld be apprecitated. Doctor's do not seem concerned enough. I a going out t get some Ensure and hope to get him to drink some.

Much Love and Thoughts to ALL,

Lisa

Hi Lisa Ann,
Yes, I think nausea and lack of appetite is the number one symptom of cc, whether you're doing chemo or not. My mother finally decided to try chemo because the nausea was getting to be too much for her -- unfortunately, chemo just made it worse for her. By all means, try the Ensure -- and try to get him to take small sips of water very frequently, as his abdomen is probably swollen so he can't take in too many fluids or food at one time. Our nutritionist suggested Activa yogurt because it's a small serving and it's supposed to help with the nausea.

If your dad doesn't have any anti-nausea prescriptions, I would recommend he get some! My mother took Zofran and a few others and she rotated which ones she would take because some of them worked some of the time, others worked at other times. Also, Prilosec OTC in the morning helped her keep her food down.

I wish the best for you and your family,
Joyce

Hi Joyce,

Once again I thank you for getting back to me with answers to my questions. I am sorry I did not reply sooner, but I did not see your reply until tonight.
Dad is still the same. He complains about stomach pain, nausea and has no appetite what so ever. He is scheduled for the liver biopsy this coming Friday morning, so hopefully we find something out. I just cannot beleive that he can continue to survive if he is not eating anything. All his bloodwork is fairly normal and he is not really jaundiced or anything at this point. He must be down 30 some pounds by now and seems to be losing muscle mass as well.

I will write a bit  more tomorrow, and I will let you know the outcome of Friday's biopsy.

Thanks so Much for being here and listening to me.

Love Lisa

Hi Lisa - my dad is in the same situation. No jaundice, fairly good bloodwork and no pain or other major symptoms. He also has mild stomach pain but no nausea. He's lost about 20 lbs in 3 weeks and is eating very little.

Please let me know if you come up with any recommendations. I am very concerned about my dad's situation but we really don't know what to do.

I still hope it was just a bad reaction to the chemo and that he will improve with some rest.

Best of luck to everyone.

Amilcar

Hi Amilcar,

I am so sorry to hear that your Dad is in the same situation as my Dad. My Dad does have alot of pain in his abdomen/stomach and is nauseous all the time. My Dad has not had any Chemo to date, so his symptoms have to be related to the CC.

Sounds like your Dad is losing weight as quickly as mine, and we do not know what to do either. I thought that if we could control the nausea, he would feel more like eating. However, we have nt been able to control it to date. He is on Zofran, but no change as yet. When my Dad vomits it is usually just a large amount of bile, but lately he has started to bring up what he has recently tried to eat. It is so frustrating.

I will certainly contact you if we find some solution, and please keep me updated on how your Dad is doing. How old is your Dad and when was he diagnosed?

You and Your Dad are in my thoughts,
Lisa

Hi Lisa - sorry to hear you dad is going through a rough time. My father has been getting a little better and has been eating some (not too much) but is not losing any more weight and is hydrating really well. We think the symptoms were mostly chemo related but there is probably some tumoral effect as well. I am very worried about renewing this chemo regimen since I cannot imagine he could lose any more weight.

He was 63 when diagnosed and turns 65 next week (it will be about 18 months since the actual diagnosis).

I hope your dad improves and can opt for some type of treatment.

Best of luck and I hope things get better.

Amilcar

Hi Amilcar,
I am glad to hear that your Dad is doing better and is eating and not losing weight.
I too would be worried about the next chemo treatment, as he didn't tolerate this last one very well. I am gald that there are at least some options for your Dad to try and fight this. 18 months and still ging is a great thing.

My Dad is not doing any better as of today. He had a bad day yesterday, and today doesn't look real promising either. He got up this morning with the intent of going to my brothers house as he has been doing for almost two years every Sunday to help him build an addition on his house, and for the first time, cancelled out. I went outside to let the dogs out and his was in the garage unloading his tools from the car. He told me he didn't feel well enough to go, which I never thought I would here him say. He just goes, and gets sick while he is there, but keeps pushing himself to complete the next task. He said he just took his meds and was going to lay down for awhile. What was strange is that he told me he would see me in the afternoon, and gave me a hug and kiss. Mind you that he lives with us, and was only going upstairs. Of course my heart just melted, as I got to breifly hold him,kiss and hug him back.

My Dad is a little older than yours and I would guess that the cancer was more involved at the time of diagnosis, so I am not certain that we are going to have any treatment options.

I will keep you posted and I hope your Dad continues to improve.

Lisa

what about marijuana...... supposed to be good for increasing appetite. thankfully mum is eating and maintaining her weight, but we discussed possibly using it if needs be.

Hi Colleen,

My Dad is old school in that he would never use Marijuana. I think if they could get his nausea under control, he would be able to eat, at least more than he is currently. We are going to try and get his meds changed to something different first thing in the morning.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, a.nd glad that your Mum doesn't have these aweful symptoms.

Lisa