1 (edited by marions Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:18:51)

Topic: Need some input (Sensitive, be aware)

What are your thoughts on this.  How do we address the issue of postings for our members, who have passed on? Should we mark the signature box in a special way? 
This is such a painful issue to deal with, but the members on this site have encountered this often, and we really  need everyone's  input.
Thanks and hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Need some input (Sensitive, be aware)

How about something like: Gone But Not Forgotton.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

I am new here and I look for hope like everyone else on this forum. But if I did pass, it would be an honor to have something like "Gone but Not Forgotten" with my user id.

Cathy
"Life is 10% of what happens to us and 90% of how we respond to it"

Thank you for bringing this up Marion. It is as you say a painful issue to deal with but one that should be addressed by us all. I do like the idea of "Gone but Not Forgotten" in someones signature post, but I think that this does raise some practical issues in doing this.

To do this, someone would have to be responsible for putting the "Gone but not Forgotten" into the signature line of that poster. I would quite happily step up and take that responsibility, but I think that from sharing previous emails with Rick about the site that he would have to change some code for someone to be able to do this. I'm sure Rick will correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that that would be required to do this. Rick??

But I do like that idea if it can be done.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

There are sometimes postings directed to members who are no longer with us.  For me, that's very sad.  There's no way they would know, as it is now.

I think its a great idea to use "Gone but not forgotten" along with the date the person passed.  There have been many times I've searched for something specific in posts and when I find it and want to reply, I wonder and worry if the writer has died, especially if the posting is old. 

Betsy

I agree.  This would be a good way to let people know that the poster has passed.  Although, as Gavin stated it may be difficult and time consuming to implement this.  Hopefully Rick will have some suggestions.  He is our computer genius.  smile

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

I appreciate everyone's comments and am looking forward to many more.  We will have a board meeting on Friday where this issue will be addressed.  I don't believe that Rick will have a problem implementing any of our ideas we do however, need to come up with an identification or wording.  This had been another suggestion:  a "star" next to the signature line.  In this case though, we would have to have an explanation for the star somewhere on the site.  What do you think?
Best to all,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Galvin, why cant you just put "Gone but not forgotten" in the same category as Moderator, All Star, New Member, etc, and you just change the posters status and it will change on all of their posts. A simple click...

Cathy
"Life is 10% of what happens to us and 90% of how we respond to it"

No longer on this earth but in our hearts (date)

How about on the left hand side where their information appears we put a small version of our logo tree and put In Remembrance and then the date under the roots. That language is in agreement with the title for the section where we post that people have passed.

Patty

I like that Patty!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Patty I think that is a good suggestion.

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

My only question:   I know we know about many who have passed, but do we know about all?  I guess we could just do it for those we are aware of......just thinking out loud.  But I love Patty's suggestion as well.  Thanks for letting us weigh in on this. - Nancy

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....

Nancy....We will be able to identify the majority of those posters no longer with us.
This discussion board is ever evolving and thoughts and ideas always are welcome and considered in the effort of becoming a better site yet.   
Hugs to all,
Marion

I would love it if you could do this because if it is an old post I wonder if they are still here. Also, is there a way that it could be organized in member set up when the patient was diagnosed so we patients can know how long people have had CC and survived? Thanks.

17 (edited by PCL1029 Sat, 10 Nov 2012 10:52:24)

Hi,
I think, like other foundations, a devoted paid full time or part time employee to manage the web site, to provide up to date changes, to explore additional means and new ideas to keep the members engaged and excite others to join thru different channels may be the answer.
This forum is our window to the world and should be address first and expend in order to really catch up with other foundations later in terms of expending our reach and influence  of this foundation both inside and  outside of the States of America.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

I have been thinking about this. My personal feeling is to have a Category like "Gone but Not Forgotton". By having it's own Category we are honoring our own CC warriors. We could have the Name, Date DX and Date Passed. OR for my other 2 cents, just add the name to ones Signature and the date of Peace!