Topic: If my blood tests are CT scan are OK...

I will be taking part in a clinical trial called "A Phase I Study of Capecitabine in Combination with SIR-Spheres in Patients With Advanced Cancer."

Obviously Fox Chase came though and found me something.

The gist of the treatment is planting Sir-Spheres, tiny little radioactive beads, as close to the liver is possible. These beads are "hot" for about two months.

Along with this "planting" I will take Capecitabine (2 pills daily) for 14 days. There's a break for 7 days. Then the pills begin again for 14 additional days.

There's a plethora of possible side effects including nausea, mouth sores and pain the hands and feet. Oh yes, and fatigue. I'm a pro at that one.

We're meeting with the doctor who is overseeing the study on Monday afternoon.

Sir-Spheres is a registered trademark of Sirtex Medical Limited and the study is sponsored by them.

Bruce said we'll be able to use me as a nightlight.

Re: If my blood tests are CT scan are OK...

Joolz, I find this news very exciting and wish you all the luck in the world. I have one problem though. Do ya think maybe they don't have to put a Gender on it by calling it SIR?  Just kidding, this is great and I love your attitudes!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Joolz  - My son wanted to try the Sir-Spheres as part of his treatment because he had read many positive results with them.  I don't remember why that didn't happen (I think some oncologists weren't using it for cc at the time).  These studies are a wonderful thing.  The doctors learn so much from them and you get a shot at a cure.  Best wishes with the treatment!  We'll be rooting for you - Nancy

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....

Joolz....had to find the study and here it is:
http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/t … anced.html

Good luck, all my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Lainy wrote:

Joolz, I find this news very exciting and wish you all the luck in the world. I have one problem though. Do ya think maybe they don't have to put a Gender on it by calling it SIR?  Just kidding, this is great and I love your attitudes!

Yeah, Sir-Spheres bothers me. To Whom It May Concern Spheres is much better!

@Marions - Thanks for finding the study!

You are welcome.  Keep up your spirits and indeed humor helps.
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Nancy - Thanks for the best wishes! I'm hoping it brings me positive results too instead of just side effects.

Joolz - Please let us know how things go....I'm really sick of this damn disease!  WE NEED TO FIND A CURE AND FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!  OK - Sorry - that was my shot at being angry smile  Love to everyone fighting the fight!

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....