Topic: Cannabis and Cannabinoids

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/ … ofessional

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Cannabis and Cannabinoids

Thanks, Marion, for always keeping us informed.  For those who care to know, John was prescribed "marinol" (medicinal marijuana)....it had little to no effect on him.  However, he did indulge in some "brownies"....and those actually increased his appetite, helped his pain, and overall increased his mood.  I believe in doing whatever one needs to do....and no one should judge.  Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.....

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....

3 (edited by marions Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:59:18)

Nancy....I am a Californian.  That speaks for itself, right?  A friend of mine is being treated for stage IV breast cancer and she is really being helped by using marijuana for nausea control and for pain.  Marijuana has a place in medicine and it should be available to all patients due to its medicinal purpose.   I realize that I am opening a can of worms here but, I stand by my comments. 
All my best,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Yes, yes ladies, I agree. May I add though that I would LOVE the Brownies! Sure wish I had, had them for Teddy!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

This information is very interesting and compelling, especially since my mom has recently had a significant increase in the pain she is experiencing.  The doctor has increased her pain meds quit a bit.  That has helped, but still has not provided complete relief. 

Our problem is that we do not live in a state which has legalized the use of medical cannabis, so as much as I would love to encourage my mom to try something like the "brownies", I don't know that that is an option for us. 

Any more information someone can provide about this would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

Take care,
Marni

Personally if it was me that was going through pain like this and needed help in increasing my appetite then I wouldn't think twice about using cannabis if it helped. As Nancy said, no one should judge and people should be able to do what they want to if it helps them if they are in pain etc. Thanks for posting this Marion and I agree with what has been said here, no one should have to suffer and if cannabis helps then why not use it.

Best wishes to all,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Marni - Just want to say that the brownies were not legal in our state.  The medical marijuana (marinol) just didn't work.  A friend provided the brownies....I asked no questions.  It helped John and that was all I cared about!  I'm not suggesting anyone do anything illegal, but if I had to go to jail to have helped my son, I would have gone to jail.  There are some things you just do......Peace to all - N

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....

Found this article -

http://www.nationalpainfoundation.org/a … management

From this piece, it seems that a cannibinoid spray called Sativex has had some good results. More on Sativex in these links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sativex

http://www.gwpharm.com/Phase%20IIb%20Ca … 0Data.aspx

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.