Topic: transplant,RFA,chemoembolizaion, what to do?????

I am getting more confused then ever re: my father and the next step I should take. I am worried that his time on earth my be extremely limited. I am being pressured by my family to make the right decision re; what to do next. At first we thought maybe we should go and get second opinion for chemoebolization from Dr Geschwin as recommended by Colleen. No reading through Maryanne's family blog and Joe's hx, I am questioning why hasn't my father been offered radiofrequency ablation... this is something we would have like to see him get as one of the first tx. Then I read about Dr. Canady and transplant...wonder if dropping him an e-mail should be my next step. I am totally confused, uncertain, and not sure if sometimes I am chasing my tail in circles!!!
Lana

Re: transplant,RFA,chemoembolizaion, what to do?????

Lana,
I answered the post about the RFA just before this.  The liver tumor was 5 cm. That is the biggest they can do at this point but they are working on a bigger piece of equipment that can zap a bigger tumor.  I know sometimes you just don't know whre to turn and this is a good website to hear about other options.  Sometimes there are too many and you don't know which will work and which won't.  We try to pray a lot and do what feels right for us. Everyone haa their own journey and none of them are easy.  we will pray for you as well as all the other cc sufferers and their families.  God Bless.  Mary Anne

Re: transplant,RFA,chemoembolizaion, what to do?????

Lana ... I agree with Maryanne.  There is alot of information to digest.  Don't feel pressured by your family for starters, secondly we recommend to always get a second opinion; especially if your being given a bleak can't do attitude by some doctor.  Third, there is no right or wrong decision when it comes to this disease.  You try your best and pray for the best.  It is a bumpy road no matter which way you turn.  Lana, don't second guess yourself and discuss with your father what he would like to do. I'm sorry if I missed an earlier post and don't know all the facts.  The bottom line is if you trust the medical care and advice your now getting steer the course.  The one thing to know for sure is there is no cure for this disease but with different treatments for different people it is possible to extend life for many years. Just take a positive approach and and never give up hope.
God Bless You and your Father!!!
Jeff G.

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

Re: transplant,RFA,chemoembolizaion, what to do?????

Thank you both JeffG and Maryanne,
You are my inspiration. Jeff- can I ask your advice on an issue we are struggling with? My father went through 3 rounds of chemoembolization. They used adriamycin and mitomycin???? not sure exactly if spelling is correct, however, when we read about others who received embolization, it seems as though nobody received the same cocktail as my father. My brother would like to get a second opinion from a Dr Geschwinn that helped Colleen's husband. When I called I found out that each facility is different in the chemo they use for this procedure. I would like to take dad to either MD Anderson or Sloan for second opinion, as I feel this would be a better approach, and he seems to be getting more ill. My brother and I seem to be at odds on what route to take next. He is losing more weight, vomiting, and having more abd pain. Then I read about Dr. Canady doing surgery on a young female that had bile duct cancer with 75% of her liver involved. I am quite curious as to why others haven't sought this Dr out? I left my father's home in ND yesterday in tears as I am so confused, worried, unsure of what direction to turn, and want to do the right thing. I thank you so very much for your prayers, because I know, without the help of God in this difficult disease, I am not sure where our family would be. Dad's neighbor's pastor said a prayer to the congregation re: my father, and he prayed that God would lead dad to a Dr. that could get rid of this tumor. I am wondering if this is a sign that I should be looking towards Dr. Canady.
I hope I am not sounding crazy,
Thank you again for you loving support, and for being such a great inspiration to all of us!
Lana

5 (edited by JeffG Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:58:09)

Re: transplant,RFA,chemoembolizaion, what to do?????

Dear Lana.......  I'm so sorry that your Dad has not seen any  relief.  Yes different hospitals use different chemos.  That is usually the Doctor's decision.  However, even doctors have to follow the protocals of what ever hospital they work at.  MD Anderson and Sloan Kettering are both good hospitals and I have read many post of patients going to either. As far as Surgeons, It seems that everyone has thier opinion on who is the best.  The bottom line is your larger Cancer Centers see more patients therefore have more surgeries, therefore more experience.  And when I say experience I'm not saying any individual doctor. I'm saying the team of doctors who discuss different patients and produres at tumor boards and come up with what is the best approach for different or similiar cases.
Lana, I'm not sure if my post is helping you or not.  The choice is an individual one.  What does your Dad want and respect his choice.  I will say I went to a larger Hospital that had more experience. The Mayo Clinic in Rochestor, Minnesota is where I went.  Whatever Hospital you go or I should say what ever surgeon you choose will make their  decision on if they feel they have the skill and experience to conduct the surgery and also weigh the risk against as to do or not to do.  Mayo Clinic has a very good Oncology and Surgical Department. Why certain doctor's are not sought out is basically because we usually don't know they exsist. When I was diagnosised I did'nt know which way to go other than my  GP doctor who was the wife of a heart surgeon recommended I go to a larger teaching hospital for the most experienced.  Lana you don't sound crazy, just get the second opinion if that is what your dad wants.  You and Your brother need to understand it is what your Dad wants to do. I hope I have giving you enough information to make a decision.
Prayers are coming your way!!!!
God Bless,
Jeff G.

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

Re: transplant,RFA,chemoembolizaion, what to do?????

Dear JeffG,
Thank you so very much.  My dad has decided. I feel it was by the grace of God and this web site that we came across Dr. Canady. I will be sending him my dad's info via discs from Mayo tomorrow to review his case. Please pray for us as I have an overwhelming feeling of hope. Dad is in great spirits and seems as though he wants to fight this disease again.
Thank you for your loving support,
Lana

Re: transplant,RFA,chemoembolizaion, what to do?????

Lana ,

Please read my other posts Stay away from him. PLease