Topic: GEMOX treatment

I just received a call from Helsinki University Hospital telling me that my GEMOX will start on the 18th, next Monday.

Who has had this Chemo and how did it work, any side effects etc. I would like to hear your experiences?

Jukka

Re: GEMOX treatment

Hi Jukka,

That is great that you got the call to start your chemo on Monday. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it goes well and that we get to hear some good news from you about it goes.

When you say Gemox, do you mean your chemo will be a combination of Gemcitabine and Oxaliplatin? If so, then here are some posts form the members here that might be of use to you.

http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … =533473940

Please let us know how you get on with this.

My best wishes to you,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

That is the case; Gemcitabine + Oxcaliplatin. I can't take cisplatin because of my kidneys!

Hi,
In  hospitals  in US, generally they will pre-medicate you with   ondansetron  and/or dexamethasone intravenously ( IVPB )over 30 min to decrease the side effects  like nausea/vomiting of the GEMOX treatment. They will start gemcitabine- a 30 min IV infusion.(on day 1),followed by oxaliplatin-a 2hour IV infusion.(on day 2),every 2 weeks.
If you are on GEMOX-3 protocol,then you will receive Gemzar on days 1,8,15 and the other on day 1 and 15,repeated every 28 days.

If you are interested,the objective response rate(that is complete response + partial response) to GEMOX protocol are 36%,22% (Ann Oncol.2004);26%(Br J Cancer.2006);41% (Oncology 2007) and 15%(Br.J cancer.2008).

Major side effects listed from the above studies are  grade3-4 thrombocytopenia (9-23%);anemia(10%);peripheral neuropathy(7-19%);nausea/vomiting  are common.
I hope the info. helps.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

I had my first Chemo today, nine hours ago and feelin great!

Jukka

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Hi Jukka,  Glad your first day of chemo went well! Keep it up! Nancy

Loving my husband from afar.

Jukka....wonderful news.  Congratulations on today and the other days to come.
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi all,
The second morning has just broken. The sun is shining, we have at 7.00 am. 1 degree celsius and I'm felling just great.

Jukka

Hi Jukka,

This is great news! Glad to hear that your first day of chemo went well and that you are feeling great today as well! Enjoy the rest of the day!

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Just Cheer my up;

You never guess what I just did!

I changed my car to Jaguar. I always wanted to have a Jag; now I do!

Wow, Jukka - a Jag!   You go!!!!  Take that baby for a spin and enjoy life.....Nancy

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....

Today I visited the hospital and discussed with a doctor. She told me that the main tumor was before we started the chemo 8.8 x 2.9 cm by size. Next monday I will have my next round of GEMOX and hope that the side effects are as minimal as they were with the first round. My doze is gems1000 mg per m2 and oxalpltin 85 mg per m2 and this is every three weeks. After 9 weeks I will have the next MRI taken.

Keep the flag up!

Jukka

Jukka, if the tumor gets below 7cm have they mentioned Cyber Knife? Wishing you best of luck on your next round of Chemo and hope you are enjoying your new auto!!!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

It si time for second round of GEMOX.
The first was easy, I didn't have allmost any side effects; a littlle sensitive with cold objects, (low) fever on the second day and tiredness on the third!

Jukka

I had my third Gemox treatment two days ago. Side effects are mostly the same so far fever around 37,5 celsius, littlle of neuropathia in my fingers and the need of touching, drinking or eating anything cold. Otherwise Ok.

Jukka

Dear Jukka, good going Jukka, hang in there and I know you will show that CC a thing or 2. Not a bad report at all.

Jukka....you are doing great.  Also, we have had numerous discussions re: neuropathy although, it seems that yours is bothering you only minimally you may still want to read up on some previous threads. Use the "google" search function, top, right, of page and enter: neuropathy.  Gloves may give you some protection when touching cold things. 
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER