Re: Gemzar/Oxaliplatin treatment

Can someone explain this chemo treatment to me? FUDR pump? my husband just finished 4 cycles of folfox and ct scan scheduled. Folfox was VERY DIFFICULT for him. Not sure if oxi/gemi or something with xeloda will be next. Lymph nodes are her2 pos.
Thanks!

27 (edited by marions Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:27:47)

This link may be of help to you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1353125/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6212114

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi,
If  all the regimens you mentioned will provide the same tumor control that you are looking for ;the FUDR pump  will be the least to cause systemic side effects to your husband because of its method of local delivery(intra-arterial) of the chemo agent FUDR (Floxuridine) to the liver only.
Gemzar/Xeloda(oral)  and Gemzar/Oxaliplatin are systemic chemotherapy given intravenously;therefore the side effects will be more than the FUDR local infusion in theory; Gemzar/Xeloda may cause less side effects than Gemzar/Oxaliplatin because the lack of use of the platin group agents like oxaliplatin,cisplatin and carboplatin etc.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Devastated:
The Hepatic Infusion Pump is surgically implanted into the abdomen and a catheter is inserted into a vein/artery (I always mix them up) that leads directly to the tumor. After 3 embolizations we finally got my pump to work. It is used when the cancer is still contained to a single tumor, as far as I can tell, because it feeds the FUDR chemo directly into the tumor with very little side effects. I am still receiving systemic chemo, although it is only Gemzar now, as it was discovered that my lymph nodes were also affected. That, and the fact that it took 4 months to get the pump and my body to cooperate.
It is not widely used, nor is it often a good option, especially if the cancer has spread.
My oncologist is Dr. Nancy Kemeny, the oncologist who perfected the Codman Pump, the one that is implanted in me. There are 1 or 2 other brands that are used in various clinics, but they aren't common.
I hope this answered your questions? I do have a thread called "Liver Infusion Pump?" if you want to read more.
Kris

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.