Topic: A Reprint Message About Bile Thinning

Hi, (this is a reprint message about  thinning the bile so it can flow a bit easier.)

Hi,Carlos,
Hydration is one of  the most important factor in digestion;normally it requires 6-8 glass of water a day (about 2000ml/day).
Lemon juice and water(juice of 1/2 lemon added to 2oz of water),drink just before meals will help the digestive distress.(or 2-3 pieces of squeezed lemon in a cup of hot water will do.)
Beet juice(1 fresh beet,peeled and grated mix with juice from1/2 lemon and 2 tablespoonful of flax seed or oil, take 1 teaspoonful of this mixture  and eat like a salad with lunch or dinner) .if you can eat one beet a day for 3 months,it will help to thin out the bile.---www.lifespa.com/article.aspx?art_id=107  .I know beet is good for the bile,but I have no proof of the above claims with regard to the duration(3month) of the beet juice therapy.Just use  your common sense to help your mom.
2 years after resection without any problems show up for CAT scan is very good news. Try to continue scan every 4-6 month to monitor the situation.do not let your guard down. Ask your mom to eat well to maintain good health and strength.In this way, if things happen,your mom will be in good health to deal with the future problem at hand. I am a patient of CC for sometime now.and this is how I continue to do for my health.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Re: A Reprint Message About Bile Thinning

Thanks, Percy.   What are your thoughts re: Ursodeoxycholic acid?

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Ok, Marion, we have another word for our spelling bee--ursodeoxycholic!

Patty

Ha, ha....Patty...the teacher always comes through in you.  Miss you Chicagoans.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi,
Ursodeoxycholic acid (Ursodiol)(Actigall-Brand name) is indicated for prevention of gallstones in obese patients experiencing rapid weight loss;Primary biliary cirrhosis and gallbladder stone dissolution.It has been used for investigational purpose in liver transplantation.Long term use is not recommended. It is also used by physicians for bile acid reflux and helps the bile flow.
Proton pump inhibitors like protonix(pantoprazole), prevacid(lansoprazole) and Nexium(esomeprazole) which are used to block stomach acid production and used in the  treatment of GERD ; may also help to reduce bile reflux;

Among the three proton pump inhitors, protonix should be used if you are on Plavix(clopidogrel)-an antiplatelet agent used for angina(chest pain) or other peripheral arterial disease.( reason:less drug-drug interaction).
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Thanks for the explanation, Percy.  On rare occasions do we see a member of our site prescribed this drug and I was wondering why that is the case. 
Thanks again,
Marion

Marion,

My dad was on Ursodeoxycholic acid. He was put on it because he had PDT and he stayed on it throughout taking it 3 times a day. And like you, I haven't seen it mentioned here very much at all. The photosensitizer he had was also Photofrin.

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlel … 19a/unauth

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Just found this piece on Ursodeoxycholic Acid and thought I would post the link here -

High-dose Ursodeoxycholic Acid Worsens Disease in PSC.

http://www.gastroendonews.com/ViewArtic … a_id=19480

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Thanks Gavin.  I have forewarded the link to our PSC partners.

I am one of the long term users of ursodiol - 3 years now.  No adverse reactions or side effects to report. 

Betsy

Hi Betsy.....do you know the exact amount you are taking?  Also I am wondering as to why the physician prescribed it for you.
Thanks much,
Marion

Hi Marion -
300mg/3x per day.  He began prescribing it for me after my resection in Jan. 2009 and said it was a bile thinner.   

Betsy

Betsy....thanks for the info.  How are you doing? I have to ask:  did your drain site ever heal correctly?
Take care,
Marion

14 (edited by betsy Tue, 29 Nov 2011 06:09:39)

Hi Marion,

Thanks for asking.  Unfortunately, the leak problem continues.  I had major surgery again in August in an attempt to suture the leak but it didn't work.   It has taken several months for me to feel good again so there is no plan to do anything else right now.  The good news is that I do feel pretty good and I'm down to two drains as opposed to three and in Jan. 2012, I'll be three years cancer-free. lol

Betsy......I am sorry to hear of your latest surgery, but am pleased to know that you are on the upswing and have reduced the drains by one.
A good friend once shared with me:
"I can perform a perfect surgery but the outcome much depends on the patient's body response."  To me it brings in to perspective the complexity of our biological make up.
I am glad to hear that you are recovering well and what is of most importance - that you are feeling well."
All my best wishes,
Marion

Hi Betsey, glad to hear you are doing well again. As for the leaks Teddy had several of them also and I remember they took forever to close up but all of a sudden one day, viola! They were starting to come together. This CC sure takes a lot of patience doesn't it?

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Hi Lainy,

Oh my gosh - it takes so much patience!    I've spent so much time in the hospital that the hospital smells now make me nauseous.

Betsy

Betsey, I am just curious.....are you getting Frequent Hospital Mileage????????

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

lol!!!! frequent hospital mileage.....let's think what the rewards  would be. 1,000 hours in the hospital entitles you to a limited edition bedpan!  Comes in purple, hunter green or tie-dye.  Monogramming is extra.

Betsy

20 (edited by sharonlee Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:17:48)

I am going to have Mom eat beets thanks to Percy.  I know she likes them.
Mom had to have a stent change out yesterday.  I thank God it went okay.
She wasn't feeling well after her first chemo treatment 2 weeks ago.
I wanted to asked about a post by Betsy about an actual bile thinner medication.   Which doctor would have suggested this?  Everyone on this site is so helpful.  I am so thankful for your support. And, I am always thankful when you are feeling good - after all you go through - to help me is a true blessing.

Hi SharonLee. I am so glad the stene exchange went well. I love beets too. If you go to our search engine at the top of the page and type in beets the article may come up. Let's hear it now for BEETING up CC!

I just recently asked my oncologist about starting on actigall.  She said it is optional but doesn't feel it would do much good.  She said it is more for symptom relief associated with biliary obstructions but doesn't actually prevent one from occurring or slow it's progression.

Best wishes!
Susie

Hi Sharonlee,

My surgeon prescribed the bile thinner,  Ursodiol.  At the time of my resection he said I would probably have to take a bile thinner for the rest of my life.  Haven't discussed this recently so his opinion may have changed.  He also prescribed Cholestyramine.  Its helps control itching but can take up to 2 months before it works.   

Hope this infor. helps.  Let me know if you need more information.

Betsy