Topic: Tumor shrinking

Hi:
Thought I'd post this in the good news section since I finally have something good to post! I went to the oncologist today. Quick recap: I have a liver infusion pump and have recently had a sack of bile form in my abdomen.
I haven't had chemo in about 10 weeks except for 1 dose of Gemzar. I had another CT scan on 12/30 to compare the size of the sack to the CT scan on 12/5.
The good news is not only has the sack shrunk, but my tumor is STILL shrinking, even though I haven't had chemo! Another .5cm in size.
I go to see my surgeon on 1/23 and am going to try not to fixate on it too much. On 12/26 he said he wasn't quite comfortable with the size of the tumor. Now that it's .5cm smaller than the CT scan he was looking at, I wonder what he's going to say. And I have to wait to find out! I can't wait to hear the tumor is small enough, even though having the resection scares me to death.

Kris

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Re: Tumor shrinking

That's great, Kris!  Let us know what the surgeon says!

Susie

Awesome news!! I'm so happy your tumor is shrinking!  smile Do you just have the 1 tumor? What size did it start out, and whats its size is it now?

~Tiffany~ 31 years young wink Fighting CC since 10-27-2011
Wife to Brian; Mommy to Carter (8) and Madison (4)
http://tiffanyschwantes.wordpress.com/
Liver transplant 7-9-2013

Kris....what great news - I can't wait to hear of the physician's response.  When is your appointment?
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

YEA! Kris! I can't wait for Jan. 23rd!!!  Let us know as quickly as you can get to a computer!!! Praying for the best for you!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Thanks Susie and Marion.
Tiffany: I only have the one tumor, which was around 5 1/2 x 4 1/2 cm when I started in Feb 2011. I started chemo at the end of June 2011. As of Friday the tumor iis 3 x 2.1 cm. That is with 6 rounds of Oxaliplatin, 3 rounds of FUDR thru the pump, and 11 rounds of Gemzar. We had to quit Oxy after 6 rounds because of the neuropathy and the pump was tough to get going. Then with infections and various other problems, we had to quit using it for now. As of now I have a sack of bile in my abdomen near the pump so my onc won't give me chemo anymore. But the tumor is still shrinking so I'll take what I can get.
The Oxaliplatin worked really well with the Gemzar. So did the FUDR.
I'm sorry you had to join this group at such a young age. I'm only 48 and I think that's young for this cancer, but 29 is way too young to have to go thru this. I hope you have good oncs? Do you have postings? How many tumors do you have? What protocols are you doing?

Kris

KrisJ
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Kris - Such great news.  Tumor shrinking is just wonderful.  Am anxious for your updates.
xoxo
Diane

Kris-Great great news!! I didn't have a resection,  I had a transplant and it really wasn't as bad as I thought. That is really strange sentence to write!!
Good luck and keep focusing on your resection!!
Lots of prayers-Cathy

Awesome news Kris. Sounds like you are on your way to something really great- Resection!!! I think it is only natural to be scared. But everyone on this site with CC are the bravest people I know.  Take care.

Love, -Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Hi,Kris,
May I ask how big is the sack of bile  (biloma)  in your abdomen?
Is it just a small size<5cm ? Or bigger?How much the biloma shrunk in December?
Have the doctor ever consider taking it out percutaneously?and why not?
Have you developed fever and/or chills because of that?Make sure you ask him/her what you should do when you have fever or chills?
Good luck and
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Kris, this is so so wonderful!!!!!!
Sounds like the tumor has given up and backing off!
//Maria

No matter whether you think that you can, or that you can´t, you´re right
//Henry Ford

Great news Kris!

I went into the hospital the week before Thanksgiving with a fever of 103.8. They did xrays, ultrasounds, CT scans, and all they kept saying was I had fluid in my abdomen and the pump was likely infected. It would have to be removed. I kept saying that is not an option.
After release, I find out it's not just fluid in my abdomen. It's a sack of fluid in my abdomen. Big difference.
The sack was approx 8x5.7 on Dec. 5 and it's 7.5x5 or so now. So it's shrinking.
Dr. Fong said one of the choices I have is to aspirate the sack, but he didn't want to do that because it opens me up to more infections. And since I have so many of them already why tempt fate? And also if he puts a hole (no matter how small) if the duct gets blocked again and the fluid starts building up soon, it gives the fluid a chance of getting out into my abdomen. So... we wait!!
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I really need it right now since my boyfriend and I just broke up (my choice, but still hard) and my family lives so far away. I rely on friends and phone calls to keep my spirits up.

KrisJ

Hi Kris, I feel that if the 'breakup' was your choice then you also got rid of another unwanted sac! Sorry, my attempt at being funny. If things are not working right you have enough to deal with without  the stress of an unhappy relationship. Who knows one of these visits to the Hospital you may run smack dab into a handsome Doctor! I think you should get a Tee Shirt that reads, 'AVAILABLE'. Good luck on your'waiting' game. I just said recently that CC is not for those who are impatient and certainly not for sissies! You are all the bravest people I have ever heard of. Withall that said, think I could replace Dr. Phil???  NOT! tongue

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Thanks Lainy!! I needed the laugh! That cracked me up!!
As for impatience: I used to be very impatient. My new "normal" is waiting, waiting, waiting.
Kris

KrisJ

Hi Kris,

Thats great news on your shrinkage, love hearing that type of news!!!! Hoping for the good news to continue for you and looking forward to seeing more posts from you in this section!

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi, kris,
One more thing if I may,can you ask dr.Fong in your next visit this question?
Is there any possibility that the biloma(the sack of bile ),if not treated,will help spread the cancer cells if it starts to leak or not..?
Thanks and
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Hi, kris,
One more thing if I may,can you ask dr.Fong in your next visit this question?
Is there any possibility that the biloma(the sack of bile ),if not treated,will help spread the cancer cells if it starts to leak or not..?
Thanks and
God bless.

He didn't say that during my appt. But he did say as long as it wasn't leaking and I wasn't having fevers or pain he wanted to leave it alone. He just said why risk it leaking into my body. But I will ask (if I remember!!). Chemo brain is really horrible: I don't remember anything anymore! I wonder how long I can use that since I haven't had chemo in weeks??

I do think it really has nothing to do with the cancer itself. It's just a by-product of something blocking my bile duct. Could have been an elusive gall stone (they've looked and looked) or it could be from the small "tail" I had where there was a little bit of tumor near my bile duct at the beginning of all this. I thought it was gone since it isn't mentioned in CT scans. I am sure going to ask him that when I see him!!

Kris

KrisJ

Hi Kris,

Great news about your tumor shrinking!  Hope they can get the fluid sac taken care of.  You are so full of spirit, so keep on staying positive and I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.  Hugs,  PeggyP

I read somewhere that 'chemo brain' can last up to a year after receiving chemo.

Sorry for the bad news about the bile 'sac'.

Hugs,
Margaret

Kris....I recall one or two similar situations such as yours - it resolved with time.  I expect the same for you.  You are well on your way.  And I can just see the next boyfriend lurking around the corner too.
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Marion:
That's the one I would pick... the one "lurking"!! Maybe a stalker? Haven't dated one of them in a while!!
I have terrible taste in men... I think I need to have a friend fix me up! hehe
I know it's off topic, but time for some laughs.
Kris

KrisJ

Kris, nothing is off topic. I went on a dating site just to lurk. OMG! Some old geezer in a wife beater undershirt, with hair coming out from his ears, a beard down to his naval, and eyebrows that needed an electric lawnmower was looking for a beautiful, intelligent woman!!! I almost took the bait except for that awful shirt!!!  LOL

Kris...I have a friend with similar inclinations in picking as she calles it "bad boys."   She is very accomplished, bright, retired from a high powered career and yet she picks those kind of men who end up disappointing her.  Go figure.
But just recently she met a man whom she describes as a "nice man" and she seems to be enjoying his company.  Wow...there is hope.  Of course we are holding our breath.