Topic: 2 years today since dad passed away.

Today it is 2 years since my dad passed away. I can't really believe that it has been 2 years since his passing. Sometimes it feels like it hasn't been 2 years, but then sometimes it feels so much longer than 2 years. My mum and I have come a long way in this time but things don't feel the same. I guess they never will but we all get used to the new normal don't we. I was round at mums earlier and she is okay, and I am away to go back around there again after I finish this post. It will just be the 2 of us today and that is okay and mums sister will be over tomorrow with the kids so that will be a good day for mum.

To all my family here I thank you so much for everything. For the support you all give, the love you all have and I know that you are always here for me and also for each other. It is hard to put into words what you all mean to me and I just wanted to say thank you so much to each and everyone of you for everything.

And to you dad, there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss you, and of course there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of you lots. You will never be forgotten, you will always be much loved and sorely missed by us all. I know you will remember the promise I made to you that night, and I hope you are happy with what I have done since and will always do for mum.

Rest In Peace Dad.

Love,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Re: 2 years today since dad passed away.

Dear  Gavin,

What a beautiful post.  Know that I am thinking of you, your mum and of course your dear dad too, today and always.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hello, my son from another Mother! I am sending you big hugs across the pond for both you and Mum instead of you jumping over the fence to blether! I am glad the family is coming over to her tomorrow.

•    I wish heaven had a phone so I could hear your voice again.     
•    I thought of you today, but that is nothing new.
•    I thought about you yesterday, and days before that too.
•    I think of you in silence, I often speak your name.
•    All I have are memories and pictures in a frame.
•    Your memory is a keepsake, from which I'll never part.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

4 (edited by PCL1029 Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:54:05)

Hi,Gavin.
I am very sorry for the loss of your dad for the past two years. And
I know your dad is very proud of you in taking care of you mum,his wife,for him.

You don't need to thank us,this board,for everything.for they are  always gentle,kind and full of love and encouragement like what you have done for this board.
Finally,I do agree with you that it is hard to put into words to describe our feeling;but The way you described the love ,duty and loyalty for you dad in the last paragraph is  with deep passion and feeling,especially from a former American football player  like you.
You father and son bonding is an example for my kids to follow.
Again, please say hi to your mum for me ,please say I am so sorry for what had happened. but you mum truly have a loving and good son to keep  and exceed the promise to care of her. I just not good at words,Gavin. I want to say a lot more,but I ran out of words. For,you know, I am not Lainy,the poet.
May God bless you and you mum,take care,winter is here,put a thick coat on to protect the elements for both of you.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

5 (edited by eli Sat, 10 Dec 2011 09:21:35)

Hi Gavin,

That was a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your sorrow with us. Thinking of you, your mum and your dad.

Hugs,
Eli

Dearest Gavin....I am sending a special hug your way and that of your dear Mum; I will set aside a few special moments in dedication to your Dad. 
It is quite obvious that your Dad was an extraordinary man; he raised you. 
Please, know that you have made the world of Cholangiocarcinoma a better place for all with your kindness, caring, and thoughtfulness.  Thank you, dear Gavin.

A tidal wave of good wishes are heading your way. 
Hugs
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Dearest Gavin,
You are a child of wonderful parents who instilled in you love, loyalty, responsibility, empathy, and consideration.  Who could ask for more.  What a blessing you are to your mother and those around you, including those on this forum.

I am thinking of you.
Love, Diane

Thank you all so much for your very kind words, they mean so much to me as always. Yesterday wasn't the greatest day, but we got through it and in one way it was a good day as I thought so much about dad and all of the great times we had. And no matter what happens in life, memories like that will always be treasured and never forgotten.

Today will be a good day, mums sister is coming over along with my cousin Clare too. So that means that little (well not so much anymore) Elidh will be there and I haven't seen in her in ages so it will be great to see her again! Plus I know mum will love that as well. Since we have a houseful today, I am making a beef stew with mash, carrots and sprouts. Seeing as Christmas is just around the corner, I thought I'd start early with the sprouts, love em!! Eildih can eat for Scotland now so had to get a load of food in too!

Looking forward to Christmas this year as the last 2 weren't that great, and I might get the decorations up next week at mums. Although she threw them out after last Christmas as they were starting to look a tad tatty so will need to go get new ones. Any excuse to go shopping!! Thank you all so much.

Much love and hugs to you all,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Gavin, beef stew sound great, it has been so cold here!I am wishing for your family to have a wonderful day!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Dear Gavin,

I'm sorry I didn't see your post yesterday. I'm sure it was a hard day for you and your Mom. It is nice that even though your Dad is gone, you still support everyone that has CC. That shows what a good job your parents did raising such a caring, loving son. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Love, -Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Dear Gavin,

I to am sorry I missed your post yesterday. Sending my love to you and your family.

Your Dad will be so proud of you, not only by how you look after your family but also how you look after your cc family too. You have a heart of gold and part of that is thanks to your wonderful Dad.

Take care

Andrea x

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Dear Gavin, I just read your post and wanted to touch base and let you know you're in my thoughts. Those anniversaries are tough and healing... Wishing you peace in the new year.

It's wonderful that you remain strong as a supporter for this board, you have a wonderful team... we both know what an amazing (and needed) support system they are, and that you have been.

Best to you,
Tess

Gavin,

I'm sorry, I missed this post too.  It was such a lovely post and thanks so much for sharing.

I hope things get easier for you and your mum.  I appreciate all you do for this board.

Best Wishes,

Susie

I also just read your post Gavin.  Sorry to have missed it for so long.

You are a fine tribute to your father.  Every day I see your posts on this site to people who are frantically looking to connect with others who have experienced some of what they are going/have gone through.  I have experienced your kind words of support myself many times and it has meant so much to me.

I'll bet your dad is extremely proud of the caring son he and you Mum raised.

Thank you for all you do and I know the memories you have of your father will sustain you.

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Thank you everyone. And thank you also for your kind words of support. With mum, right now it seems like one step forwards and two steps backwards. One issue clears up a bit then another one comes back again. But she keeps on fighting and getting on. Thanks everyone!

Hugs and best wishes to you all,

Gavin

Gavin
Sorry I missed your post earlier.  This is a difficult time for you both and know that you and your Mum are in my thoughts today.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry!

Dear Gavin

Thinking of you

XX

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Julia. Thinking of you and Susan too.

Hugs,

Gavin

Hi Gavin

Two years for your dad and my mom... seems like only yesterday and a lifetime all rolled into one.  Here's to our memories, happy and sad. And here's to both of them, with lots of love.

Take good care.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Great to hear from you again and see you around here! I hope all is well with you? Yep, 2 years for my dad and your mum. And as you say, it does indeed seem like only yesterday and a lifetime at the same time, very strange and where has all the time gone. We have our memories and time will never diminish them ever. They are and always will be so precious to us. Here's to my dad and your mum too. Thank you Sharon and you take care too.

Hugs,

Gavin