1 (edited by Pamela Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:19:29)

Topic: Lauren's precious nurse.

Lauren has a nurse that hooks her up to her 48 hour pump that she wears home. She works for HomeMed, a company that works with the U of M Hospitals. Anyway, she had been given a beautiful book by the hospital that had selections from an art competition and exhibition about cancer. This book has 288 pages of paintings, drawings, and photos by cancer patients and a few are on display in the Cancer Center at Uof M. She chose to give this book to Lauren. She said she was waiting to find just the right person to give it to, and it was Lauren. So sweet. There was a particular passage I wanted to share with all of you. It had a picture with it also.

Cancer Shreds
Mixed media by a Person Diagnosed with Cancer from Pennsylvania

I once put an important document through the shredder.  I immediately retrieved it and put it back together. A document that has been shredded and pieced together may appear whole, but look closely and you can see the gaps and the misalignment.

This is how I feel about my cancer. I may appear whole, but look closely and you will see the gaps of fear and the misalignment of my life.

I, and many others, have already been put through the shredder and will continue to exist pieced together as a whole. My hope is for others to never be put through the shredder and for us to find a cure for cancer.

I loved the way this person said how cancer made them feel. If I find another passage that really speaks to me, I will share it with you. Take care.

Love, -Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Re: Lauren's precious nurse.

Pam, that was absolutely beautiful and expressed so well! Thanks.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

That was honestly the best description of how I feel during/after cancer.  Like I am whole, but not quite.  When I am at someplace like the gym and I see other people looking at me, I wonder if they can see I am not quite the same, not quite like them. But then I wonder, what could their story be, the one I don't see on the outside?

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Randi, loved my mother in law, when I was married to Brand X. I nursed her through 10 years of Lukemia. She always used to say, "What's in front of a door is not what's behind the door!". P.S. Maybe the others are looking at you because you are so dang cute!!!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Aww thanx Lainy...love that saying about behind the door.  I will steal that one for future use smile

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

OMG, Pam, this is wonderful.  Thank you for sharing it.

Lainy - brilliant comment, both from Brand X's mother and from you smile

Randi ... wink - lol

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

I agree with the nurse...Lauren is one special girl......xxxoooo

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider