Topic: Could quemo makes a non resectable tumor become resectable?

Dear friends,

My question here is this: my sister has I-CC (stage IV), 49 years old. Apparently ireseteable CC. Would it be possible that after several cycles of quemo and, perhaps radiation, that a non resectable cancer become resectable? Does anyone has any experience like that?
Thank you
All the best
Jose

Jose, brother of Carmen, 49 years old with ICC, stage IV.

Re: Could quemo makes a non resectable tumor become resectable?

Hi,
The only way  to answer your question is through a multidisciplinary medical team that consist of a hepatologist,a medical oncologist, an interventional radiologist and a liver surgeon.
For better understanding about CCA ,please listen to the audio webinar discussion  post on this site by Marion on MD Anderson on cholangiocarcinoma just to-day.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

PCL1029 wrote:

Hi,
The only way  to answer your question is through a multidisciplinary medical team that consist of a hepatologist,a medical oncologist, an interventional radiologist and a liver surgeon.
For better understanding about CCA ,please listen to the audio webinar discussion  post on this site by Marion on MD Anderson on cholangiocarcinoma just to-day.
God bless.

Thank you very much PCL1029
hughs
Jose

I think I made the wrong question. I did not mean if my sister's cancer is resectable. I meant: Does anyone know any case of a non resecteable CC that become resecteable after quemo? Is that possible?

Thank you

Hi Jose

Yes, it happens. Read Grover's story. Grover's tumor was nonresectable in June 2011. Grover did chemo from June to January. His tumor shrunk enough that Grover was able to have surgery on March 1st.

All threads started by Grover, The Miracle Man:
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … er_id=8727

Think positive and keep hope!

eli wrote:

Hi Jose

Yes, it happens. Read Grover's story. Grover's tumor was nonresectable in June 2011. Grover did chemo from June to January. His tumor shrunk enough that Grover was able to have surgery on March 1st.

All threads started by Grover, The Miracle Man:
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … er_id=8727

Think positive and keep hope!

Hi Eli. Thanks for this. It definitely gives hope.
Hughs
Jose

Ben and I were told (by both MD Anderson and Mayo Clinic) that once CC reaches stage IV (spreading outside the liver), they no longer consider surgery an option even if the primary tumor becomes 'resectable'.  I read Grovers' story and it sounds like it was all contained in the liver and luckily it shrunk for him allowing them to do the resection.

If anyone else is aware of someone being at Stage IV - then having a resection or transplant I would definitely like to know (and of course will be asking again at MD Anderson on our upcoming visit).

tom

Biggest fan of my partner Ben (51) who was diagnosed in August 2010 non-resectable stage IV.   Our new motto:   "taking it one day at a time".

Hi Tom,

My husband had a resection in August '08.  He wasn't diagnosed until the pathology report came back and he was diagnosed Stage IV ICC.  The surgeon knew John had a large mass in his liver (size of a softball) but what he didn't know until he got inside was that John's right kidney had quit functioning and was shriveled up and the tumor was scrunched against it as well as a part of John's colon.  It had also started moving into his stomach cavity.  The surgeon called me from the operating room to let me know that they would be removing a lot more than what he had anticipated.  He ended up removing over 70 percent of his liver, his gallbladder, his right kidney, part of his colon and part of his stomach cavity.  The surgeon was very confident that he had gotten everything but John presented with multiple tumors in March '09.  He has been treated with three different chemo cocktails and had a chemoembolization done four weeks ago.  We go Thursday for an MRI and then see the doctor for the results.  We're hoping for the best.  We, too, just take it one day at a time.  Hope this helps.  PeggyP

Dear friends,

You might have noticed this paper about a clinic trial that shows how after 12 cycles of GEMOX 30% of patients switch from palliative to curative medicine.

http://www.lancet.com/journals/lanonc/a … 3/abstract

Cetuximab, gemcitabine, and oxaliplatin in patients with unresectable advanced or metastatic biliary tract cancer: a phase 2 study

Hi all:
Many of you know my story, but here is my response. YES, after chemo it IS possible to be resectable.
I was diagnosed in March 2011 with a fairly small unresectable tumor in my liver. CC had gone into a few of the lymph nodes which made it Stage 4. The tumor was unresectable because, although it was less than 7cm, it had wrapped itself around my vena cava. Any attempts at resection would have killed me.
I underwent gallbladder surgery/lymph node clean out in April 2011 plus had a hepatic infusion pump inserted into my abdomen. After a number of rounds of Gemzar/Oxaliplatin and a few rounds of FUDR chemo thru the pump, I am now resectable. My resection is scheduled for April 4.
God willing I will be posting April 7th or so in the good news section telling you how wonderful I feel!!!!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Kris, could be worse as your surgery could have been scheduled for April 1st!!! April's Fools. April 7th to hear from you??? Can your Mom or Dad just let us know how you are doing?

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Kris....we won't forget this special day coming up.  You know that fingers are crossed for a successful surgery.
Tons of good wishes are heading your way.  Can you feel it?
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Surgery is on hold. Read my posting in general discussion.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.