Topic: abdo swelling - no fluid

hi - does anybody have an experience/info to share - my dad continues on the gemcitabine and carboplatin - the dose is now halved following a recent stay in hospital with neutropenic septecemia.  The main problem that he has is his abdomen which has swollen up - the onc has said no fluid is visible on the ct scan so not acsities - he is not sure what is causing it.  Can anyone shed some light? - my dad is very uncomfortable - only really comfortable lying flat - i cannot bear to see him like this, please help, jules

Re: abdo swelling - no fluid

Oh Jules...........I have nothing to offer you, so sorry. I am just feeling for you. BEEEEG cyber hugs to you!!

Hey Jules, I've been thinking of you whilst in hospital with my Mum!!
Did this problem get sorted out OK?

AH! Presumably this is the hernia, I've just read your other post.
So what happens, does he just have to live with it?

My husband also suffered from acute abdominal pains (I'm not sure how swollen his stomach was though) after his release from the hospital.  He ended up with a bowel infection which was diagnosed by a stool sample.  He had severe diarreah along with vomiting too.  Don't know if this info will help but I know how much I rely on reading what others are dealing with and how they are coping.  All the best to you and your family.

kate & Nancy

thanks for your posts.  The abdomen pain turned out to be a hernia.  We are currently investigating surgical options, however it is more likely that my dad will just have a surgical belt - surgery would be difficult due to the previous 2 ops.  in addition my dad is reluctant to go back into hospital now, surgery carries risk - eg perforation of the bowel etc - difficulties with wound healing and delay in chemo etc etc..

now that my dad has a surgical belt he is feeling alot better and enjoying the nice weather.  thanks for your messages of support.

Jules