Topic: Freaky coincidence

So an odd thing happened this evening.  A little background...I work fulltime as a computer programmer/software engineer but I have been going to graduate school in the evening.  I started a graduate program in Mental Health Counseling with an eye toward counseling people with life threatening and terminal illness.  I did this after having had breast cancer and thyroid cancer and before I was diagnosed with CC.  I had to drop out of school once I was diagnosed with CC since I had surgery and chemo and really couldn't handle work, school, illness and treatment.  I just started back at school this semester and am in a class with 15 other individuals, mostly in their early 20s.

So here is the freaky part...tonight at class (this is 10 weeks into the semester) one of my classmates sat next to me while waiting for the class door to be unlocked.  I looked over and saw she was wearing a "cause" bracelet...I looked closer and saw a tree with green leaves...then I said " what is your bracelet for?" and reached over and turned it around and it was a cholangiocarcinoma bracelet!!  He uncle was diagnosed with t in December of last year and died 4 weeks later!!  I said "that's the cancer I had" and she said "you are still alive!!"

What are the chances that I would meet up with someone else who had someone close to them who had CC and in a 16 person class in college at age 57??

She was very excited that I was still living smile and said she needed to call her aunt and tell her. 

I feel so honored and grateful to represent hope for chlangiocarcinoma!!

So the bracelets are out there, bring awareness and comfort to many people.

I am buying a lottery ticket tomorrow smile

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Re: Freaky coincidence

Randi, that is such a wonderful story. I met a woman when Teddy went for Radiation for his Cyber Knife and she had CC. I gave her my CC bracelet and yes, she noticed me because of the bracelet. People always ask what it stands for. Randi you are so very special and I am sure she saw that too.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

3 (edited by eli Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:59:25)

Randi, that's an awesome story!!

Now if you remember, my wife had a Whipple. Same as you.

My wife works in a small office. 70 or so people.

We learned that my wife's co-worker has been touched by a rare cancer. Co-worker's dad has duodenal cancer. It is just as rare as CC.

Now get this. Co-worker's dad had Whipple too. Whipple removes duodenum, so the treatment is the same in both types of cancer.

What are the chances that two families in a small office would be hit by two different rare cancers that both require Whipple??

As Marion posted recently:

Rare diseases are rare, but rare disease patients are numerous.

That IS a real coincidence! 

I actually used that quote when I was talking to my fellow student about CC.  I love it.  It is soooo true.

I wonder what coincidences other people on this site have had?

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Hi Randi,

Thats a great story! Thanks so much for sharing it. And also, please let us know what lottery numbers you pick too! smile

Best wishes, and good luck with the lottery too!!!

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi,
I do not think it is odd . and I  really do not think cholangio CA is a rare disease anymore. I believe the 6,000 new cases per year in the States is an under-estimated figure;10,000 new cases seems  to be a more accurate number.
The reason is simple , Americans become more and more obese  by the day;and if you look at our younger generation(age 12-20);you will understand the risk is real.
My sister-in-law had ECC and I have ICC.
I think the risk factor for her was obesity.
and for me the risk factor is, I am a chronic hepatitis B carrier since birth.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

As unreal as this all sounds, it does happen.  My  husband Tom passed away from CC on 11/20/11 and less than a month later, his firstborn daughter's mother in law was diagnosed with CC.  Kim, my stepdaughter gave her my name/phone etc. so the mother in law could contact me for advice.  I gave Kim this website info, but the mother in law is so bitter that she wants nothing to do with learning more...her comment was "I have cancer and I'm going to die" and she is very bitter that this happened to her.

I'm very proud to wear my CC bracelet and so is all of my family and friends that I have given the bracelets too.  My son said that he would not be able to wear it to work, but has not taken it off since I gave it to him!  He does wear it to work too!

HUGS,
Margaret

8 (edited by marions Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:52:50)

Oh, I forgot.  A very good friend of mine had this cancer also.  I vividly recall him calling and pronouncing cholangiocarcinoma the "German" way (something like sholungicarcinom.)  I also remember him mentioning that not much was known of this cancer.  He passed away two years prior to my husband's diagnoses. 
Makes you wonder as to how rare this "rare" cancer really is.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I want to chime in here as well about how rare this cancer is. My dad had it, my dads workmates father in law was diagnosed around the same time as my dad. And also my little cousins, friends Aunt recently passed of it as well. So thats 3 people that I know of in Dundee alone over the last few years. And Dundee has a population of about 150k so not exactly a large city either.

Hmmmm, rare? I dunno really.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.