Topic: Could this be possible?

I just got a call from my PCP, my Alk Phosphate level is elevated.  It has been high in the past (last year) when it was 156, after blood work this past week it is up to 176.  I think the normal range is <145 or some such number.  My doc is a bit concerned as well because my HGCP is also elevated at 87 and normal is <66.

He is having me come in for a liver panel blood test, and an ultrasound of the liver.  You all know that my husband Tom was diagnosed with CC, and the first sign was a high Alk Phosphate level, but his was 10x elevated.

I have to admit that I'm just slightly scared, as anyone would be given what I watched Tom go through.  I'm hoping that it's nothing and just the result of my left wrist fracture that will also elevate the Alk Phosphate....but my mind is expecting the worst.  And I will be relieved if they find nothing and the numbers are elevated because of the wrist fracture.

However, I do have pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen and have had it for years.  Forty years ago I had jaundice and they did exploratory surgery and found that the bile duct going from the liver to the intestines was 'blocked' with sludge...so they cleaned that out.  I've had this nagging pain ever since.  I also had my gall bladder taken out in 2005 because it was only functioning at 28%.  I continued to have the nagging pain in the upper right quadrant even after the gall bladder was gone.

So, first I'm getting the knee fixed, then hopefully next Tuesday I'll get the liver function test and the ultrasound of the liver and they will find NOTHING!  The doctor is also testing for hepatitis.

So please add me to your prayers that this turns out to be nothing serious.  I'm not as strong as Tom was, and have already decided that if it is CC I really don't think I'm going to do anything other than to live out my life, quality over quantity.  Now just how weird would that be if I end up with the same rare cancer that my husband had?

Hugs to everyone.
Margaret

Re: Could this be possible?

OMG, Margaret! I would bet its from all you are going through. I have to tell you I had a bad reaction last week from the Imuran I am on for Ulcerated Colitis. My GI ordered all the stuff, ALT, AST, AKL. My numbers were all over 300 with the AKL being over 500. I never felt so spooked in my life. He ordered an MRI STAT and all it showed was a fatty liver which I also never had before. I stopped the Imuran and will have LABS again in 2 weeks. What I am trying to say is, perhaps it is something you are taking. Best of luck. Not sure I personally would stop at the knee surgery, I would like a whole body makeover!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Let's just say that if it's anything worse....I AM going to Hawaii for a vacation.  Quitting my job, giving my house to my daughter and going to live out my life with my son and his wife....at least that is my thought process for now.

Expecting the worse, hoping for the best.

Hugs,
Margaret

Prayers, love and positive thoughts coming your way.

Believe me, Margaret, you are PHENOMENALLY strong. Whether you were to show your strength by choosing quality over quantity or by choosing any other option which may be offered you, please don't ever believe you aren't an amazingly strong, resilient and inspirational woman.

Expecting the best and hoping for the best. XX

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dear Margaret,

I am glad you are going to have things checked out, but I refuse to believe you would also be diagnosed with cc. Like Julia said, I am expecting the best and hoping for the best. Prayers are being said for you. Best of luck with your knee surgery. God bless you.

Love, -Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Margaret,
Please keep us posted on how everything goes.  I'm sure it will be nothing serious.   
Wishing you the best,

Susie

Dear Margaret,

Tons and tons and tons of positive thoughts and vibes coming your way from over here. Wishing for the best positive outcome for you and you know that we are all in your corner here.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

You guys and gals are the BEST!  I'm so glad I'm part of this family.
Love and hugs (and I will keep you posted as I learn more)

Margaret

Margaret,

Thinking of you and hoping for the best.  Waiting to hear the good news.  smile

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Ultra sound of the liver set for Tuesday and the blood workup.  Will post as soon as I know the results!

I will pray as hard as I can for you, Margaret. Love and hugs to you.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Margaret....I tidal wave of support is heading your way.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Got everything crossed for you Margaret! Tons of positive thoughts coming your way from over here.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

It really pays to know the doctor's well when your body is experiencing issues. I had my liver ultrasound this morning at 9am.

I ran into Tracy, one of the nurses that works w/Dr. Dempsey - he was the one that did all of Tom's Tube exchanges....as soon as Tracy told him that I'd been in for a Liver Ultrasound, he went to check it out and compared it to a CTScan that I'd had done some years before...he told Tracy to give me a call (He had another surgery coming up or he would have called me himself) and let me know that he could not see anything that had changed from the previous scan and everything looked totally normal.

He wanted to put my mind at ease as he knew that I'd be worried!

AWESOME Customer Service and it also shows that Dr. Dempsey is one heck of a doctor! Now I just have to wait for the blood work - they are checking for hepatitis, etc. I know that will take a bit longer. But so far, I am relieved that it appears to be nothing so far! Finger and Toes still crossed!

I will let you know more after I get the blood test results back!

Hugs,
Margaret

Margaret...Once we have been touched by this cancer it will always stay with us in one way or another.
Thrilled to hear that everything is normal.
Hugs
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Margaret,

That's wonderful news. So far so good. I can imagine the fear going through your mind and heart when you hear you have a liver/gallbladder issue. Last week my son was in great pain in his upper right abdominal area combined with fever and nausea. He's just turned 18. The doctor said 'it could be something to do with his gallbladder' and I must have visibly blanched. Last time I heard it 'was something to do with his gallbladder' was regarding my dear husband and he was dead within weeks. Turns out my son had a chest and kidney infection. But as Marion said, once this cancer touches us, it stays with us. I'm so glad the ultrasound showed nothing sinister. Best of luck with the bloods.

Deb xxx

"The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares." [Henri Nouwen]

Yaaa Margaret!  Glad everything looks normal and that you have some great support with the nurses and doctors there! Tom's looking out for you. Hugs. Nancy

Loving my husband from afar.

Hi Margaret,

This is great news! Fingers and everything still crossed here for you for more good news from your blood tests.

Hugs,

Gavin