Topic: Points to remember - Statistics

Statistics are estimates that describe trends in large numbers of people. Statistics cannot be used to predict what will actually happen to an individual.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Points to remember - Statistics

And statistics are also used heavily by politicians and economists to make any point that they want to, especially so if it suits their political agenda. Politicians and economists on the other side of the debate will also use statistics to make their case which of course they claim disagrees with the first set of statistics that the first group of politicians and economists used to make their original case.........

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Bankers of course also are keen on statistics...........................

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Ha, ha. Gavin.  O.K. time to go to bed.  Oh wait, I think that I am one hour ahead of you, right?  For those that don't know presently I am in Germany.  Will return to the US later this month.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Ha! Yes thats right Marion, you are an hour ahead of me now.....Now I get to tell you that it is time for you to go to bed!!!! It's late, far too late for you to be up and posting here! Thats what you would tell me, so now I get to tell you the same thing!!! Time for you to get some zzzzz's!

Hugs and sweet dreams,

Gavin

Same to you.  Definitely heading for bed now.
Nighty, night.

Thank you both for this Thought For The Day. Statistics are scary creatures.

Where in Germany, Marion??

Jxx

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Julia...I am near the Moselle River, Germany however; I don't see much of it.  My Mom suffered a stroke and is in a hospital in Zell.  She is recovering well and I am planning on returning to the US on the 18th of May.  A little side trip I had not planned on and a medical conference that had to be cancelled due to my absence however; I needed to be here.  Sure wish it had been for a happier occasion though. But with a few life style changes my Mom will do just fine and I am happy to have spent the time with her. 
Hugs,
Marion

Thanks, Marion.  My Goddaughter lives near Frankfurt and I love Germany. I'm due to go for a few dayd at the end of this month, if my sister's stabilised by then.

My very best to your mum and big hugs to you.

Julia x

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Hi Julia,

Yup, statisticians can indeed be scary beasts, not all are but some can be...... I guess that that could be down to all of the guff that they have to take into their brains from uni days!!! I had to do quite a bit of it at uni as I did economics, but thankfully I got out okay, at least I think I did........hmmmm.......lol!!!

Hugs,

Gavin

peaking of statistics, if I had read them, I would not have married Teddy! Best 17 years of my life.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Welcome home Lainy!!! Hope that the move went well and it's great to see you back here again!! Hope you are enjoying your new pad as well! smile

Hugs,

Gavin

Thanks for the good wishes, Julia.  And, here they come - right back at you.
Hugs,
Marion

Lainy....why is it that your way of looking at life brings a smile to my face?  So glad to see you back.
Hugs,
Marion

15 (edited by Pamela Wed, 09 May 2012 18:47:06)

Best wishes to your Mom, Marion.  It's nice you get to spend time with her at this time.

Glad to have you back, Lainy. You sure were missed.

Gavin, keep up the great research for material. I learn so much from your posts. Thanks so much. My Mom reads the posts on this site and told me about one of your post just the other day. She is a fan of yours as well.

And Julia, I love to read your posts. I am fascinated by England. Prayers for your dear sister.

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Thanks, kids for the warm welcome home. I felt so bad not being able to be here with this family! In July I am going to Milwaukee for 10 days at a Lake. Not sure how I will survive that one. I would jump in but can't swim. I call this apartment complex, my resort. I moved from an adult community and I tell you it was like "God's waiting room".  Here there is life and laughter and such polite young people. I am loving it. But the move played havoc on my Ulcerated Colitis so now trying to get that under control again. These Golden Years are great even though slightly tarnished, so guess I better get my polish out and see to it they shine!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Thanks Pam, I am glad to be of help. And say hi to your mum from me!

And Lainy, yup, having seen the picture that you send me I too would class your new pad as a resort! I spent time in a complex like that once, years ago when I went on holiday to Ibiza!!! Hope that you get your UC under control again. And also me thinks it is time for you to take.........swimming lessons!!!

Hugs to all,

Gavin

Thanks Pam...These were some tough days for us.  Seeing my mother partially paralyzed and hooked up to tubing was difficult to digest.  She had a medium sized stroke and will never be able to recover completely, but we are happy with the progress she has made so far.
Hugs,
Marion

Marion:
I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. But so happy that you get to spend time with her.
Huggs

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Thanks Kris...What a special Mother's Day this will be for us.  As all of us know too well…life as we know it can change in an instance. 
A big reminder that we need to hug and love more,
Here we go, hugs to you
Marion