Topic: My Fiance Patrick was diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma
The first time I felt something was wrong was when I noticed Patrick's eyes had a yellow color to them. I mentioned it to him, but we didn't take action at that time (maybe both of us were in denial that something more serious was going on). The next day he wasn't getting any better and I noticed his skin turing yellow, so after much thought and consideration I convinced Patrick to go to the ER to check it out. He was admitted almost immediately to the hospital, as they found a mass on his liver. After that it was just a lot of worry and waiting, with really no answers right away. They had to put a stent in his bile duct because it was blocked (causing the yellow color in his skin and eyes). They were going to put another one in, however they coudn't. Then we found out that it was indeed cancer, however they were still running tests to find out the type and stage. The good news was that it had not spread to any other organs, so we thought we had a good chance of fighting this. By the end of the week however, we met with the Oncologist who said it was called "cholangiocarcinoma," and along with the 6cm mass on his liver, they found two other places on his liver that it spread to which puts him in the stage 4 category. We were told that they could not operate, and would only be able to give him Chemotherapy. Even with Chemo, the doctor thought that Patrick has about 1 year.
In hearing this news we were left speechless and hopeless. We just couldn't believe (and still can't at times) that this is really happening. One of the most joyfull times in our lives of planning a wedding (for this Septemeber) and buying a new home, turned into an absolute nightmare that we couldn't wake up from.
After two opinions from doctors at two different hospitals that told us that Surgery was not an option, we went to the Mayo Clinic were we met with an amazing liver surgeon and oncologist. This was the first time we received a bit of hope. The surgeon said that surgery IS possible, if the cancer has not spread and if the tumor begins shrinking with Chemotherapy. We have decided to begin treatment at Mayo, and Patrick will begin Chemo on Tuesday if his billiruben count is low enough.
Patrick and I have a game plan called hope. I have been reasearching like crazy and have come across some pretty amazing cancer survival stories and stratigies people have used to beat the odds when doctors told them they had no hope for survival. We beleive that this is something that Patrick can beat, with the right medical treatment, as well as using a holistic approach of an organic diet, supplements, exercise, rest, and most importantly faith. We are determined to fight and beat this disease.
Thank you for letting me share my story and I look forward to being apart of this amazing community!