Topic: The Stubbs Family

Entry for December 26, 2007
Jim was admitted into the hospital a couple days ago due to some persistent sickness and the inability to eat food and keep it down. The doctor thinks that possibly the cancer has returned although the scans are showing up inconclusive. There is some kind of pressure behind his stomach, it is undermined at this time what it is. It may be adhesions from the chemo/radiation therapy he has received.
He is being scheduled for surgery to remove whatever is behind his stomach, in the next few days when Hopkins has a bed ready. He will be transfered to Hopkins in Baltimore as soon as that happens. He is currently being nourished intravenously.
So, be with us in prayer over Jim that it is something else besides cancer and that it can be mended. And that he is able to eat again soon on his own.
He is positive and Carole is ever supportive and focused on God's great healing and wisdom. We are so thankful her eyesight has improved to the point where she was recently able to get her driver's license back and therefore can drive herself home for some rest between hospital visits.
We will be traveling to Baltimore as soon as we know when he is being transferred. We will keep in touch as we find out more information.
Love, Jamison and Meghan
P.S. for those of you who know Jim and Carole, please feel free to pass along this inforamtion to any friends you think would like to know. Carole is tired and overloaded with preperations for her stay in Baltimore and can't reach everyone at this time but takes great comfort in knowing Jim is covered in prayer.

Re: The Stubbs Family

Entry for December 27, 2007
Jim was transferred to Hopkins today around 5pm EST. We are not sure when surgery might take place just yet. Carole and I (Jamison) will be heading to Baltimore tomorrow. She will be staying at the housing which is available right next to the hospital. Will keep you updated as soon as I know more.

Entry for December 28, 2007
Went to visit Jim, and Carole said he looked better than he had the day before. He still was not hooked up to nutrients, just an IV. The CAT scan came back inconclusive once again and has really stumped the doctors at Hopkins. Of course Jim's Dr. is off for the holidays so his fellowship student was the one taking care of everything, very competent. He said that right now the next step is for him to have another endoscopy, but this time with dilatation. He had had an endoscopy a few days ago, but the doctor decided not to dilate the area. This time they will dilate the area and probably insert a stint to keep the area open so he can start eating again. The endoscopy will hopefully show what is going on in the affected area. They are going to try and do it tomorrow, but because of the holidays it might not be til Monday or possibly Wednesday. Jim was not happy to hear that. We visited with Jim for awhile until he started getting really tired. Carole came home and stayed with us.

Entry for December 29, 2007
We called Jim early in the morning and he said he had the best sleep all week. So, that was good. Probably because he started back on liquid foods again last night. We are going to go visit him this afternoon and so is his other son Jim Jr and his family. We got a call from Jim later in the morning saying the doctors came in and said they were going to discharge him tomorrow because they can't get anyone to do the endoscopy until Wednesday. But Dr. Choti did say that he feels strongly that this isn't a return of the cancer. When dad was first admitted to Hopkins, Choti thought it might be, but now looking at the scans, he is saying 50/50. So, we are feeling better about things even though noone seems to know what IS going on.

Entry for December 30, 2007
Well, yeasterday we had high hopes Jim would be able to come back to our house for a few days since Hopkins was not able to line up anyone to attend to Jim until Wednesday. Really bad timing being over the holidays, noone is around. Jim would be able to come home if he could get any liquids down, but when we went to visit, that wasn't the case. He could hardly get anything down and the little he did made him feel bloated. So, we all made the decision he will stay in the hospital until Wednesday and they are finally able to do the endoscopy. We are going to visit him today after the Skins game, very important.

Entry for December 31, 2007
Jim was able to get in and have his procedure done early this morning. Two days ahead of schedule, such a blessing. I did not go up to the hospital today, but from what my mom said, the procedure went well, they took some tissue samples around the area to test for cancer. On the down side though, they were not able to determine what was causing the restriction, so that might mean they will have to do some exploratory surgery if the dilitation they performed today doesn't work. Tomorrow they will try to introduce solid foods to see whether he is able to get it down. Carole is staying at a place next to the hospital for the next few days. Continue the prayers. May everyone have a safe and Happy New Years.

Entry for January 02, 2008
Dr. Choti is finally back in the office and came in to talk with Jim this morning. It looks as if there are still the two options and between my dad and the Dr. they decided on trying to insert the stent first. If that is not sucessful in returning my dads appetite, then they will move on to performing the gastric bypass surgery to bypass around the blockage. The tentative day for inserting the stent is Friday morning. He will probably remain in the hospital up to a week more depending on how fast we can see a change after this Friday. At this point he is still weak, but has been able to handle quite a few visitors. It is not all doom and gloom though, dad keeps the nurses laughing and just the other day they came in with firesuits on to give dad a wash down in the shower.

Entry for January 03, 2008
My brother Jim Jr, sister Donna, mom Carole and I met with Dr Choti last night. He went over everything with us and explained our options in more detail. Dad was really weak and was actually going through one of his chills spells which my mom has been telling doctors about for months and noone has really listened. So now, Dr Choti walked in and saw dad in this state and finally decided to do a work up on this condition. He has chills for about an hour or two, then he spikes with a fever for about an hour. Really wears him out. At that point my dad wanted to have the stent put in instead of going through surgery because he was in a weakened state, but our family conversed and decided the surgery was a better option and the doctor felt dad was ok to handle it. The stent perhaps would only last a few months, where the surgery would be permanent. It would also allow the Dr. to see what the mass is that is blocking the stomach. Upon making that decision, we made an appointment to have the surgery Friday morning.

Entry for January 04, 2008
Jim is going into surgery this morning at 0730am. Please pray for him.

Entry for January 04, 2008 part 2
Thank you for all you prayers. We heard some tuff news today. As the Dr. was starting the surgery of a gastric bypass he saw that the cancer had returned and spread quite a bit. He made the decision to not do the bypass because it would disturb too much of the area. So, on Monday they will be inserting the stent as originally planned. Hopkins has pretty much done what they are going to do so we are going to look at other hospitals and clinical trials to see if we can find someone or something that may be able to help Jim and his condition.

Entry for January 08, 2008
Jim had a stent inserted late yesterday. We are hoping this will start to allow him to get down some solid foods. We are told everything went well with the insertion. This was a backup procedure to having the surgery, which was not performed on Friday.

Entry for January 09, 2008
Yesterday I was visiting my dad and mom at the hospital and met up with Jim Jr. and Lori there also. Jim was still not able to eat any soft solids which has us all worried. If the stent doesn't start working then he will probably have to stay hooked up to IV's for liquids and nutrients, and may not be able to eat solids again. The Oncology team came in and met with us all late in the day to go over what the next step might be. We all have been looking on the web for different studies that Jim might be able to be involved with, but it comes down to a quality-of-life decision for Jim. They are going to look into any studies John's Hopkins may be performing on patients with Cholangiocarcinoma. We have found a study down in Houston and one in Nashville. We are also going to see if the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda is involved in a study. Please keep my family in your prayers and thoughts.

Entry for January 10, 2008
Last night I received a call from my mom that Jim had been taken down to the Intensive Care Unit. He had started having complications breathing and getting his chills. Plus he was vomitting some stomach contents which had not passed thru the stent, which is still not open completely. He ended up having fluid build up around one of his lungs which was collapsing it. They drained out about a liter of fluid and seems to be recovering well. They left him in the ICU for the night. He probably will be transferred back up to the 4th floor again, but most likely not the same room he was in before. Therefore; hold off any calling until we get a new number.

Dear Stubbs Family,   It appears you all have had a very trying couple weeks to say the least.  This is disease is so cruel and devastating.  I wish you all the best possible outcome.  I think John Hopkins is an excellent hospital and if anything can be done to improve Jim's condition they'll do their best.
God Bless,
Jeff G.

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

Entry for January 11, 2008
Jim was sent back up to the 4th floor. Now he is in room 4 in the C wing. His new number is 410-502-0241 and of course Carole's cell. Please try to keep calling to a minimum though, especially in the evenings, and rely on this blog for updates. Thank you. He is recoviring a bit and the doctors say he should be discharged either tomorrow or Monday. My guess will be Monday as we still have to set up Hospice to come and monitor his IVs. This is also if no more complications occur. The doctors think the stent might not be performing well because there might be more blockages further down. Thanks to JeffG, the moderator for chiming in, highly appreciated. God Bless.

My DEAR friends, Carole and Jim,
I am so distressed to learn of Jim's medical problems.  Very grateful to Jamison for creating and maintaining this blog.
Our prayers and abundant Love come your way.  Wish we were closer to come visit and give you both our support.
Love from Calif.
Mary & Bob L.

17 (edited by Staeger Family Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:26:09)

Stubbs Family,
The Staeger family prayer team is sending our love and our prayers to Jim and family.  Know that you have so many people pulling for you and sending up good thoughts!

Entry for January 14, 2008
Well, over the weekend Jim had another occurence of fluid build up in the lungs. This time they decided to put a stent in the lung area so that when he goes to a nursing facility they would have the capability to drain it themselves without having to send him back to the hospital. Tests done on the liquid in his lungs from last Wednesday came back positive with cancer cells. Because of this incident over the weekend, the Dr.'s delayed the move to a nursing facility. He should be moving on Wednesday. His destination may not be Annapolis now,  Jim would feel more comfortable closer to their home in Deleware. He probably feels that Carole would be more comfortable since she could go home when needed instead of having to stay at friends houses for who knows how long. Thanks to the Longpree's and Staegers for chiming in. Greatly appreciated.

Dear Stubbs Family,
What a trying time for all of you - I hope Jim is comfortable and there are no more setbacks. We're all following your story and hoping and praying for the best.
-Joyce

Dear Carole and Jim,
You know we are praying for you.  We will be down to see you in Delaware or Maryland again.  Let us know if we can do anything.  All our love.  Bob and Doris

Aunt Carole and Uncle Jim, you are in our thoughts and prayers every day!!!
Keep a smile on your face and a song in your heart!
We ALL love you!!!!! Love, Gail, Kristen, Craig and Jason

22 (edited by TheStubbs Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:06:16)

Entry for January 16, 2008
Well, Jim spent most of the day yesterday in the waiting room waiting to go in to have the stent inserted for draining the fluid out of his lungs. I was wrong in saying that it had been done over the weekend. He ended up getting a fever after the surgery and along with the anestesia kept him in the recovery room til midnight, almost 6 hours. The odd thing was there was blood, not fluid coming out. This morning the Dr. came in and said that there not sure why the fluid hadn't drained so Jim would have to go in and get another CAT scan, about his 10th since being at JHU. The reults that came back showed the stent had been inserted into his liver, not the lung sac, very disconcerting indeed for a supposedly state of the art hospital. Voted the #1 hospital in US News for the past 12 years except for the year 1999. Not sure if I agree. So anyways, the Dr. said they would try and get him on the surgery schedule for today, but not a definite. It turns out they did find a slot for him so they are going in to remove the catheter from it's current location and re-place it to the proper location. This could cause some severe bleeding since it was in the liver, but being in the OR they will be able to deal with it. Now we are waiting to go in to see him since the surgery has been completed and was very succesful. Maybe he will finally be released to a nursing home by Friday. He hasn't been fed anything for the past 2 days and he couldn't drink either because there might be an issue while he is under anesthesia. I know he is very hungry and thirsty.

Auntie Carol & Uncle Jim- Mom just called and told me about Jim. I want you to know I am thinking of you and sending happy thoughts. Be strong-
Love Natalie

24 (edited by TheStubbs Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:19:32)

Entry for January 18, 2008
Jim was in good spirits last night after coming out of surgery. Definitely a better recovery than the day before. This morning was a bit of a different story. He was falling asleep all morning and saying things that didn't make sense which worried us, since he had thrown a small blood clot last weekend. The Thoracic surgeon came in to follow up on the catheter and we expressed our concern. He explained it was probably because of the pain medicine he was on so we decided to go with something not as potent. This seemed towork because this afternoon he was alot more coherent and even got up and made a few laps around the floor he is on. It doesn't look like he will be discharged on Friday because theyre is no available bed at the rehab center in Annapolis. The place we wanted him to go to in Deleware can't take him either because they are not familiar with the procedure of draining his catheter ever day or two. It is something new in the industry. Jim actually doesn't mind if he has to stay now because they replaced all the beds on the floor today, so now he has a brand new bed that has a temper-pedic memory foam mattress. Very comfortable he says. He is very excited to watch the football games this Sunday, so I can say he is definitely feeling better. Thanks to everyone who continue to show support.

Dear Carol and Jim, Praying everyday for you both. Tell Jim I want Packers and Patriots. Who does he want. Stay positive. Love you Pauline