Topic: Trial Drug is working!

The doctors have been very cautious-- they don't want to be too optimistic. However, the second tumor appears to be shrinking/breaking up. It no longer has definitive borders - just a hazy area. The main tumor is still wrapped around the blood vessels and bile duct-- but it has not grown at all.

You know it's a good sign when the doctor walks in laughing and smiling after talking to the radiologist. We were there at the end of the day, and they needed the report from him before they could issue more of the trial drug. The pharmacy was about to close, so they were trying to get him to read the scans and complete the report--he told my doctor, "whatever you're giving him, keep it up--I can't find the second tumor."

Good times, indeed.

P.S. -- they are still enrolling new candidates for this phase.

http://prc.hcc.musc.edu/portal/cto/Clin … 20Programs

Re: Trial Drug is working!

YIPPEE, Julieann!  Just the kind of news we love to hear. Continued success and looking forward to more good news!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

3 (edited by Nancy246 Sun, 27 May 2012 20:51:20)

Wow, this is awesome Julieanne! Yes, keep that good news coming! Nancy

Loving my husband from afar.

Julieanne....fantastic news to share with us.  I am wishing for all good things to continue.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Great news Julieanne.  Thank you for sharing.

Hugs
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Great news!!! Keep it up!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Hi Julieanne,

This is great news indeed and thanks so much for sharing it with us all!! Hopefully the good news will continue and I am looking forward to hearing more of it from you!

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

I love it!

Wow, my husband is 28 and was diagnosed with CC in January and this week has been one of those "down" weeks on this CC roller coaster. My husband has told me yesterday that he dreads the days that he goes to chemo and if things aren't shrinking he doesn't want to keep going with chemo... your story  has given me the boost of hope that has been draining this week. Thank you for sharing!

What trial drug is it that is working?

Thanks, and good luck

Eileen Bougill

Eileen, at this point it is simply identified by a string of letters and numbers: ABC294640. It is based on sphingolipids, taken orally in tablet form. There had been studies done on a similar IV drug that had promising results. They are still in phase one - this is a dose escalation study to determine the maximum dose. My husband was the second person enrolled- he takes one pill a day. The two pill a day cohort is full, and they are beginning to enroll the third cohort- two pills in the morning, two pills at night. The only side effect so far seems to be nausea.