Topic: Venus and the sky

Hello-

did anyone get to see Venus traversing across the sun yesterday eve? It was cloudy here until the sun was just about to go down behind the mts, we checked (with double sets of welding goggles and sun glasses- safety first!) but could not make out anything. Last month my husband and i were able to veiw the Solar eclipse on our anniversary! This past week the full moon has been spectacularly huge as it rises and sets. I had a pleasant surprise the  other evening when i went outside to grill.... the full moon was rising just above our Lupine in that purple twilight magic hour... We must remember to look up! Have a great day.

Re: Venus and the sky

Hi,

Here in the UK we missed it as shock horror, it was cloudy here!! But I saw this on the news tonight and thought I'd post the link here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18336976

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Thanks Gavin...I tried to catch a glimpse of it (Northern California) - no clouds, but I did not have adequate eye protection.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Ha! It seems that all or most of the clouds were over our skies as usual. Oh well, we'll catch it again the next time it comes around.........in about 105 years or so! But this time Marion we'll be prepared!!!!

Pallab Ghosh reports on how to see it safely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18328230

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

I am preparing for it now, Gavin.  The right gear is in place.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Thats the spirit Marion. The Chinese are well known for their long term plans, and we now have our plan for Venus sightings in a safe manner!

Meet you both in 105 years, then. Looking forward to it smile

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Looking forward to it, Julia.  Gladly I will share the eye protection with you and Gavin.
Hugs,
Marion

well it's sure to be a party in 105 yrs!  the good thing about the cloud cover here was it kept the cold temps from dipping toooooo low and killing all my gardens.

mmking....are your evening temperatures still that low?

So thats a date then. 105 years from now we all meet up to take in this experience! You can bring the eye protection for us all Marion and I'll bring the refreshments! Tea, coffee, sandwiches and of course some cakes will be available for all! Hopefully it will be a tad warmer then than it is this week as we are still getting some light night frosts here. Hawaii sounds good for a meet!

smile

Marions-
we went from 90F on monday to low 40's on tuesday and a frost (so 32F) tuesday pm... welcome to weather in the Mts!

I am all over Hawaii- Kuai is my fav.... ;-)