Topic: Activating NOTCH and AKT gene may trigger cholangiocarcinoma

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201207 … inoma.aspx

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Activating NOTCH and AKT gene may trigger cholangiocarcinoma

WOW! Very interesting!!!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Here's the link to the full study:

Cholangiocarcinomas can originate from hepatocytes in mice
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/63212

Indeed, very interesting. The study challenges the basic assumptions about CC.

The assumption until now was that CC always starts in the bile duct cells (cholangiocytes), while hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) always starts in the regular liver cells (hepatocytes).

This study found that intrahepatic CC can start in the regular liver cells (hepatocytes). As disease progresses, regular liver cells undergo transformation into cancerous bile duct cells.

The study was done in mice. According to the study, a strong possibility exists that the same transformation can happen in humans. If confirmed, this finding may suggest new targets for drug development.

4 (edited by marions Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:48:38)

Nice, Eli. Thank you.

I will be meeting with UCSF representatives tomorrow (not for this purpose) however; I will make sure to bring up the above mentioned study. One never knows, right?

Will we eventually receive clarification:  Are we talking about two different diseases - intrahepatic vs. extrahepatic?  This has been questioned by numerous physicians and researchers.

Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi, Marion,
I think there is striking similarity of the precursor lesions between the pancreatic ductal system and the biliary tract raise question about a shared molecular pathogenesis ;at least for the extrahepatic CCA .
Intrahepatic CCA, i am still unsure about the findings that the link you provided . At this point  we definitely need confirmation on that. But if my recollection is correct, I have read that in the VERY EARLY stage of the formation of the hepatocytes and cholangiocytes,the distinction of the cell types are minimal at best; So I will reserve my opinion at this time.and I will research more on this.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Thanks for this Marion. I reposted it over on the FB page.

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Very interesting indeed. I also posted through FB. It's always good to see studies are being done!

Loving my husband from afar.

Studies are now worked with at Genentech:

http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/cho … 20003.html