Topic: no question is a stupid question...

I know, I know...but it feels like I should know this by now. For clarification, is a cycle of chemo each time or each clump? Like for my mom, the onc said she'll get 8-12 rounds of chemo. Her schedule is 2 weeks on and one week off. So is a round or cycle each and every time or is a round/cycle the 2 weeks on and one week off?
I just want to wrap my head around the timeline.
Thanks,
Melissa
(Mom goes in for fourth dose of chemo tomorrow...round 2 or round 4?)

2 (edited by eli Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:58:55)

Re: no question is a stupid question...

Hi Melissa,

The term "cycle" refers to the whole clump as you put it.  2 weeks on, 1 week off. Fourth dose of chemo is the last treatment of cycle 2.

The term "round" isn't an official medical term. Medical papers don't use it. I would ask the onc what he meant by it, one treatment or a cycle. I guess he meant a cycle, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hope this helps,
Eli

3 (edited by PCL1029 Sun, 10 Jun 2012 22:03:16)

Hi,
In this case 2 weeks on and 1 week off consist one cycle ( that is your cycle is 21 days for each cycle).
As Eli said, the term cycle is the proper way to describe the chemotherapy.
May I ask what chemo agent or regimen she was prescribed?
It will help to answer you better.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Hey Melissa,

I think I use the wrong term all the time. I think when Dr. Z talks about rounds he means each time you have chemo is considered a round. Lauren gets her chemo 1 week on and 1 week off. When he says she will have 8 more rounds of chemo, he means she will be sitting in the chemo chair 8 more times. I take a cycle to mean the whole amount of rounds together. Now I am getting confused!! I would just ask him the next time you see him. Take care.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

5 (edited by eli Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:32:32)

Pam,

In Lauren's case, 1 week on and 1 week off is one cycle. Because she sits in the chair one time per cycle, you can say that she will have 8 more rounds or 8 more cycles... doesn't really matter.

The terms matter more in a 3-week cycle (2 weeks on, 1 week off). 8 cycles means 16 trips to the chemo chair.

I hope I didn't confuse you more. If I did, I am sorry!

Eli

Gotcha Eli. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

So would you get one treatment per week or per day?

Depends on the chemo. 5-FU is given continuously 24/7. Gemzar with or without platinum compound: one treatment a week. Oral chemo such as Xeloda: one or more pills every day.