Topic: Got to meet Derin tonight!

We had so much fun together! Great dinner, and lots of talk about cholangiocarcinoma!
:-)

~Tiffany~ 31 years young wink Fighting CC since 10-27-2011
Wife to Brian; Mommy to Carter (8) and Madison (4)
http://tiffanyschwantes.wordpress.com/
Liver transplant 7-9-2013

2 (edited by Pamela Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:43:17)

Re: Got to meet Derin tonight!

Geez, Tiff. You are just becoming the little CC Ambassador. Praying for great news about your scans. I am glad you got to enjoy meeting Derin. He seems like a super nice guy. Take care.

Love, -Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Very cool!  Glad you had a good time!

-Susie

Tiff, how fun !  Praying for good test results tomorrow.hugs

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Fabulous pic of you both on FB, Tiff. Glad you had a good time smile

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Tiff.... great news.  Glad that you had fun.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

To Tiff, yes you are our little Ambassador, good job with the name, Pamela. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall. It seems more of our members are meeting up and that is not only awesome it is some kind of miracle!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Haha
Thanks y'all. I just love meeting people! Derin is an awesome guy! Seeing him, you would never known he had been through cc.
Soooo....who's next on my list. Lol

Thats great Tiff! No doubt you and Derin had a blast! All this meeting up with each other sounds great to me!!

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Tiff: I think a trip to Scotland?? Dundee area??? We should plan it!! smile

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

That would be awesome kris! Haha

Heck yeah!!!!!!!! That sounds like a brilliant idea Kris!!! All and everyone would be most welcome here indeed!!!!

Huge Scottish hugs all round!! smile

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Count me in.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Gonna need to get a massive haggis at this rate to feed you all!!! smile smile smile smile smile

You'll love it, trust me! wink

Haggis again is what?

Hi Marion!

"Haggis again is what" It's gooood, thats what haggis is! smile

Here's a recipe for it, just to get all of your taste buds salivating in eager anticipation of our national most delicious dish!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/haggis_66072

A few pics of the dish -

http://shop.scottishhaggis.co.uk/Catego … aggis.aspx

And it tastes fantastic with the tatties and the neeps!!

Hugs,

Gavin

Oh Gavin...now, what are tatties (potatoes?) and neeps?

Ok, gavin, I went to the link for the recipe, read the first ingredient and well...suffice it to say I will not be partaking, but thanx. smile

Tatties and neeps?

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Gavin, didn't you hear... Haggis inedible says US Government!!!

Loved this quote from the UK expert:

Professor Hugh Pennington, one of the UK’s most eminent food safety experts, said last night he was baffled by the claim sheep lung makes haggis inedible.

He said: “It is hard to see what their arguments are. They are quite keen on offal foods and down south they eat the most bizarre things. There is nothing on a pig that isn’t eaten except the squeal.”

He added: “Haggis is cooked extensively so any bacteria should be killed off, and there should not be any parasites or toxins. If you rule those things out you are left with a cultural thing.

Ha, ha....great quote and very convincing, Eli.

randi....I get it.  But then I know of people who won't eat liver and I used to love it.  That was of course before my husband had been diagnosed with this disease. 
Hugs,
Marion

LOL Randi!!! I guess that you are not up for a bit of sheeps stomach then?? Ha! You don't actually eat the stomach, it is just used to hold all the lovely ingredients in for cooking. Then it is split open and the insides scooped out and devoured. I'm really selling this dish am I not.....lol!

In reality and these days, a stomach isn't used to hold all the ingredients in and what is now used and has been for many many years is artificial casing, much the same as what they use for sausages etc. Our Kris had it when she lived over here and she loved it!

Yep, tatties are indeed potatoes and the neeps, they are turnips. Both essential to have with the haggis. Sounding better now I bet!! smile

Thanks for the link and quote Eli, and geee, I must have missed the bit about our dish being "inedible"!!! After all, it's done us proud for centuries!! smile

Hugh Pennington is one of the worlds most respected  authorities on food hygiene etc and he is always in the media here when something breaks out food wise etc. So I'm with Hugh here and also our butchers when they say that taking the lung out is "unthinkable" for the dish!! Is lamb not eaten much in the US? We love it over here. smile

Gavin, had to jump in here before I leave. Whereas I would not eat Haggis, there is a very popular Jewish dish called Kishka. It used to be the stuffed casing also of the stomach. Filled with a rather tasty bread crumb mixure served mostly on Holidays. Delicious. Of course we never ate the casing but it was so worth the mixture. I am sure they now use an artificial casing. And let's NOT forget chopped liver. Don't know too many people who would not order chopped liver on rye with a piece of onion!  OMG mouth is now watering so I better get to the airport. Teddy's daughter tells me there are some great Deli's in Palm Springs, I am sure we wilkl hit one.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

So sorry to say Gavin, but haggis sounds gross. I have never had lamb and I am 54 years old. I do know some people eat lamb chops and rack of lamb in the US, but I guess the reason I never ate it is because my Mom said she made it once and she couldn't stand the smell of it. I have never had a turnip either. Do they taste like beets? I love beets. I think it is cool how we learn different things about each other's cultures. I'll come visit, but no haggis for me, thank you. Take care.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Lainy...you've reminded me not be grossed out by other peoples food delicacies!  I have also had Kishcka (altho I am sure my parents never told me it was encased in internal organs!!!) and chopped liver (altho I don't eat either anymore).  Liver has lost it's appeal for me too Marion! 

Ok, and Jews eat fish for breakfast (smoked salmon, white fish, lox) and I'll bet most non-Jews would be disgusted thinking of eating that for breakfast.  I know it took my non-Jewish husband lots of years to eat what we ate growing up.

So, Gavin, I guess little stomach casing can't be that bad, right?  But I will have to pass on the neeps, never had much of a liking for turnips.

I think food is all what you get used to but I don't know many who would turn down the universal food of chocolate cake!!

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.