Re: Got to meet Derin tonight!

Randi...breakfast sounds delicious.  It was the opposite in our house - my husband was Jewish and I am not. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Now I have to chime in on "different" foods. When they had the olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, they did a spot on the national food. Being a 2nd/3rd generation American I have had a number of the norwegian basics and delicacies. I love fattigman (I probably butchered the spelling). It's a cookie that is deep fried and coated with powdered sugar. Then there's lefse, which is basically a really thin potato pancakish kind of breadlike thing (kind of like a tortilla but tastes way different) made from heavy cream and flour and I don't know what else. You coat it with butter and sugar, then rolled up and it tastes just like butter and sugar.
My favorite of all time, tho, and this wes discussed at length during the games, is the national dish of Norway, called lutefisk. The announcer basically said he didn't know how anyone could even THINK about eating it!! It is codfish soaked in lye (yes, lye! At least that's what I was told) for a month until it is bleached and turns into a gelatinous mess that smells horrible and tastes worse!! My father LOVES it!! But he eats sardines, too... :-D
So I guess I could try haggis! I don't know about the turnips, tho.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Wow!!! All this hostility towards the poor wee turnip..what did they ever do to you all??? wink They are lovely and very popular here, can be used in soups and as I like to eat them boiled up, then mashed and add a touch of salt and pepper to season, nice! They are a root veg like beetroot and we just cook them liked mashed potatoes.

Finally Kris we have someone who would face up and take on the haggis...then no doubt fall in love with it too! And Lutefisk...ha!! I saw Adam Richman try that on an episode of Man vs Food and he hated it too!!! Cod I love as a fish and it is most popular here in the UK in our fish suppers, that and Haddock. And I couldn't believe it when they said that the Lutefisk was soaked in Lye!!!!! Yuck!! Don't think I'd be brave enough to try that, but like your Dad, I love sardines!! smile

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

well sardines are just ok, but Kippers are fabulous!

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Indeed Randi, Kippers are superb!!!!

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Gavin!  I think we found some middle ground around kippers!! big_smile

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

32 (edited by marions Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:27:51)

Count me in on the turnips however; I prefer to eat mine raw.  In fact I love to chomp on turnips - great crunch, great taste.  And, Sardines and Kippers - love it.  Just can't quite find the nerve to try the haggis.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Yay!! We have a trio of kipper lovers and a duo of turnip fanatics! smile

How does everyone cook their kippers? Me I just put them in boiling water to heat them through and serve, sometimes with butter and sometimes on their own. Cooking them like that I find keeps them moist rather than grilling them and mum hates the smell of them if I grill them!

I saw Rick Stein cook them in water once and take some of the kipper liquor, put it in a pot, add some butter, season and had some herbs to make a buttery sauce for the kippers and it looked good! Still meaning to try it though!

Raw turnip Marion, interesting, might have to try that one day. A healthy snack to chomp on through the day! smile

Be brave with the haggis and you will be rewarded! smile

My family used to fry kippers with onions! and eat them for breakfast.  sorry if I grossed anyone out smile

-R

Well, since my name was in the post, I guess I'm obligated to write, correct? It was great meeting up with Tiffany, although it was quite funny that we both had to fly to Houston when I was about 20 minutes from her in Huntsville the week before... I'll be in Huntsville next week, so if you're back Tiff, we'll catch up again, maybe Wednesday night for dinner?  Sorry I missed Kris by a few days, that would have been cool also.  And Gavin, yeah, you can keep the haggis brother... no thanks... And from someone who was not originally Jewish but is now, there's nothing like whitefish salad on a bagel for breakfast with a slice of cheese and a thick chunk of a tomato on top of that... OK, now I'm hungry...

Derin

Husband to Eileen, Dad to Hunter (15) and Sydney (13)
Attitude is everything, you have to keep it positive! And take it one day at a time, it's all anyone can do with this disease...

Hey, Derin, we love that you joined the tribe! Teddy was Sicilian so of course he was Catholic but he loved all religions. He sang with me in the Jewish Choir for 15 years. I used to say he sang Hebrew on Friday nights and on Sunday went to St. Stevens to ask forgiveness! I used to love whitefish (not the salad) but never ate it on a bagel. I thought bagels were invented for lox! LOL  Gavin loves different foods so if he ever comes over here to visit I am sure we could get him off the Haggis and on to our soul food!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

yummmmm white fish salad smile and whitefish in general. Only fish I eat that looks back at me.

I always get hungry when I read this thread!! And for sure Lainy, if I ever get over your way then we'd be doing some gooood eating!!! Soul food, yep, like the sound of that! I'd bring a haggis over with me, but if I did I guess they wouldn't let me into the country!!

Duh! Just now checking back! When are you leaving Derin? My phone is MIA. LOL

~Tiffany~ 31 years young wink Fighting CC since 10-27-2011
Wife to Brian; Mommy to Carter (8) and Madison (4)
http://tiffanyschwantes.wordpress.com/
Liver transplant 7-9-2013

Well Tiff, since I just saw you here in Huntsville while you were having chemo (meeting up 2 times in 3 weeks in 2 different states is pretty cool!!) Letting you know when I leave is redundant!! Keep up the good work, and let us know when you hear something... I should be back in a month or so and we will touch base again!! Great to see you again too!

Derin

Husband to Eileen, Dad to Hunter (15) and Sydney (13)
Attitude is everything, you have to keep it positive! And take it one day at a time, it's all anyone can do with this disease...

So much fun seeing you again!!!
I feel like we had a little party at chemo today!!! Haha
I will let you know when I get the news!

~Tiffany~ 31 years young wink Fighting CC since 10-27-2011
Wife to Brian; Mommy to Carter (8) and Madison (4)
http://tiffanyschwantes.wordpress.com/
Liver transplant 7-9-2013