Topic: Daughter's thyroidectomy

hello cc family,

Let me lead off with ...everything is fine now.

My daughter Megan had a lobectomy on her thyroid on Monday and had two serious complications after what should have been a routine surgery.  First she had an arterial rupture and bled into her neck which required them to reopen her incision in the hospital room to allow blood to drain and then they rushed her to the OR for another surgery where they found and cauterized the bleeding vessels. Then when they took her to the recovery room she stopped breathing.  Her vocal cords had closed shut and her lungs had taken on fluid, so they put a breathing tube down her throat and she went on a ventilator.  She was on that overnight and then they removed it yesterday morning.

She came home this morning and is doing very very well.  It was just a really scary thing for all of us to go thru.  Apparently this kind of bleed happens in less than 1% of all surgeries of this kind.  go figure.

Good news is that the nodule they removed was benign and mostly fluid filled and she should recover fully (with a bit of a neck scar).

Thanx for listening my cc family!

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Re: Daughter's thyroidectomy

PMG, Randi, you scared the holy ---- out of me! WOW! I am so glad everything is ok now. What a scare that must have been. I have a question. Didn't they check it first to see if it was benign? I have a 2cm nodule on my thyroid but it is benign and they just watch it. Oh, I am so relieved that all is well and yes we are your family!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Randi....wow...I am just recovering myself from the beginning portion of your posting.   Sure am thrilled to hear that all is well.  What a scare this was with such a happy ending. 
Wishing for a speedy recovery for your daughter and yourself, Randi.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

thanx Marion and Lainy!

Lainy, they removed it because it was 5 cm long and was pushing on her throat.  They did a needle biopsy and it was mostly fluid filled and what came back was benign but because it was just a very small spot on a very large nodule, they decided it was best to remove it.  The doc was pretty confident that it was not malignant. Megan is also a very tiny girl with a tiny neck and you could actually see the nodule from the outside. 

She had a reaction to the needle biopsy and spiked a fever and it got larger, so it was good they had already scheduled the surgery. 

She is staying at home for the week and I am nursing back to health.  Kinda fun having her home for awhile, but would have preferred other circumstances for sure.

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Thanks, Randi. Guess I was lucky that my needle biospy was a breeze. The end result is what matters and we are thankful she is doing well now. Gosh, we just never know and ain't that the truth?

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Randi,

I am glad everything turned out ok. That must have been so scary. I hope your daughter is fully recovered very soon.

Love, -Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Thanx Pam!

Hi Randi,

Real sorry to hear what Megan has gone through these last few days but very happy indeed to hear that she has come through this. Hopefully she will make a very good and speedy recovery from this. A scary thing indeed for you all to go through. And great to hear as well that the nodule was benign too. For sure you would have had other circumstances to have Megan at home with you, but I know that you will be the best nurse ever for her too!!!

Hugs to you and Megan,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Thanx Gavin.  I have to say that she has the best attitude and was in the best spirits even when she was writing on a pad of paper because she had a tube down her throat.  The docs were amazed at her good humor.

Randi,
So glad everything is ok now. Watching a child in the hospital must be awful. Praying for a speedy and full recovery.
Peace,
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Thanx Lisa.  She is recovering amazingly fast.

Chica...So happy to hear everything is fine...must have been so very, very scary for you....must have been so hard for you..but as we all know you are one very special and strong person...bet your daughter has a lot of your fight in her! Praying for a speedy recovery for her!
Nancy